Benching the monolith

Rigg9

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Been researching programs. Found a bench program that shoots 5 3s and 1s I'm going to run through November while keeping my squat n dead program more volume oriented. But after that I found this program by wendler and it seems to fit my volume expectations, lack of a spotter, and equipment limitations I have. Was just curious if anyone has any experience with this or the building the monolith https://liftvault.com/programs/powerlifting/benching-the-monolith-program-spreadsheet/

Last edited:
Wendler's 5/3/1 has been a popular program with beginner and intermediate lifters for the best part of 20 years. You could do a lot worse.

The only real complaint I've heard is that it can lack volume, but there are various modifications to the basic 5/3/1 that can address that.

Good luck.

I did Boring But Big a while back and I would replace some of the OHP days for bench to get more benching in. I liked the simplicity and shorter workouts of the 531 stuff. Got the Forever book as a gift and I'll go back to it at some point.

One thing he stresses in the book is being conservative with your training maxes, typically 85-90% of your 1RM. Looks like a fun program. He has BBB and Building the Monolith on the boostcamp app if you want to try those. The app and programs are free if you ever want to track your stuff on there.

https://www.boostcamp.app/jim-wendler/5-3-1-building-the-monlith

I've run Building The Monolith a couple of times, put on noticeable size, and after I ran it was probably the strongest I've been. May even give it another go this winter.

I've run Building The Monolith a couple of times, put on noticeable size, and after I ran it was probably the strongest I've been. May even give it another go this winter.
Thanks for the info. Just looking at the program it seemed to be a solid program for strength and size but I'm kind of inexperienced. The biggest and strongest I've been is from work and I'm working a soft job this winter. And trying to get my strength back to peak from some debilitating injuries before I rebuild my business.

Love 5-3-1. Unless you have specialized goals, it’s a great program that’s easy to run long term.

Back