Bergdahl Charged With Desertion

I think we should have brought him back even though the cost was high. This was at height of VA scandal, maybe that played a part?

no matter what they thought we didn't have a 100% guarantee that he deserted until we brought him back.

Now that he is here. He deserves a 10 year sentence. Life in jail or death if all he did was desert and did not help terrorist is silly and will never happen.

I think we should have brought him back even though the cost was high. This was at height of VA scandal, maybe that played a part?

no matter what they thought we didn't have a 100% guarantee that he deserted until we brought him back.

Now that he is here. He deserves a 10 year sentence. Life in jail or death if all he did was desert and did not help terrorist is silly and will never happen.
Yeah, no big deal deserting in a combat zone and all...

When is Bush / Cheney /Rumsfeld being charged with illegal aggression and endorsing torture?

Never.

But this little pawn is going to go through the courts. Hilarious.

When is Bush / Cheney /Rumsfeld being charged with illegal aggression and endorsing torture?

Never.

But this little pawn is going to go through the courts. Hilarious.
Ask Obama.

There have been many deserters in recent history. Name one we executed or sentenced to life. Im not aware of any.
There have been many who deserted their units in combat zones recently? We executed those who were guilty of that during WW2.
I'm not expecting him to even serve time. A reduction to E1 and dishonorable discharge is good enough for me.

Because the Gov't owes it to the Country to waste even more money on this guy.

Well, the guy is owed a few hundreds thousand dollars in back pay, which would be stripped if he is found guilty. But I mean, we could just forget what he did and hand him his money instead :rolleyes:

President Obama screwed up by doing the parent thing at the White House but I don't have a problem with the swap. He is our guy and he should face our judgement and not be made some propaganda tool.
Agreed.

There have been many deserters in recent history. Name one we executed or sentenced to life. Im not aware of any.

Good point, they don't like to do this stuff anymore. Heck, even in WW2, I believe only one soldier was ever actually executed for desertion, out of millions of US personnel who saw combat.

Like I say, the issue is less desertion and more where you desert to.

If you just run away from the combat front, that's one thing.

If you do like this jackass did, and try to 'go native' within enemy territory, you are welcome to stay.

There have been many who deserted their units in combat zones recently? We executed those who were guilty of that during WW2.
I'm not expecting him to even serve time. A reduction to E1 and dishonorable discharge is good enough for me.

Only 1 guy in the tens of thousands of american desertions during WW2 was executed.

Tens of thousands deserted in a combat zone?

About freaking time. Was deployed with guys who did a tour with neighboring units to his. All were so pissed.

Everyone knew he was a deserter. People died and were.maimed looking for him.

More concerned about the 5 who were traded from guantanemo, why his father is speaking arabic. Very sketchy,

"Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl left his unit in eastern Afghanistan in July 2009 intending to walk to the nearest U.S. military outpost to report wrongdoing, believing he could not trust his own commanders to deal with his concerns, an Army report says, according to sources familiar with the investigation."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/27/politics/bergdahl-intended-to-walk-to-nearest-base/index.html

I don't believe that at all. The way things would have been set up, his unit would have a forward operating base (FOB) where their command and other important logistical elements would reside. The FOB is generally well out of danger.

Each company and platoon would operate out of an observation post (OP) that is usually right in the thick of things. These OP's are generally houses or small compounds that the military takes over for strategic purposes.

Big Bowe's platoon was at an OP when he deserted. He had only been in Afghanistan less than 2 months. The platoons will routinely rotate back from the OP to the FOB every now and then to prevent burn out.

If Bowe were so concerned about misdeeds, the only people he could report to were (besides his own platoon commander) was the leadership at the FOB, which he would have seen once they rotated back there.

Plus, he didn't head towards the FOB or any command element for that matter, instead he headed into town like a fucking dummy.

I don't know what his plans were, but they sure as hell weren't to tattle on his platoon. That sounds like a story he cooked up in order to save face.

Back