Best American Singer-Songwriter

Who is the best American singer-songwriter

• Total voters
there is only one answer.
fa_1185_tomwaits1500.jpg

His body of work is PEERLESS. Each era of his career would individually surpass anyone else's entire catalog.

I like that one a lot, too.

I didn't know that he didn't write God's Gonna Cut You Down. I never really thought to check.

Most of the songs recorded during Johnny's resurgence were covers. That is the main reason I knew that, I was even shocked that he wrote The Man Comes Around for the same reason.

Jim Morrison

Obviously Morrison deserves to be on such a list, but I kept guys like Morrison off the list intentionally because they had supporting actors that contributed. The Doors, Croce, & Floyd were by holy trinity when I was a kid.

@tonysmasseuse @Canned Tuna
Thats a great version of that song by Cash, but he didn't write it (just an fyi).

He did write this one, and its one of my favorites of his:

You're right, just researched it a bit, it's an old folk song that's been covered by many different artists, even Elvis.

That's another great song by Cash, Anung.
My parents were MASSIVE Cash fans so i grew up listening to a lot of Cash and hated his music as a child and teenager. St Quentin song literally made my skin crawl. I think i couldn't handle the pain in his voice.
Now i can appreciate his unique style and incredible vibe and emotion he brings to the songs.

You're right, just researched it a bit, it's an old folk song that's been covered by many different artists, even Elvis.

That's another great song by Cash, Anung.
My parents were MASSIVE Cash fans so i grew up listening to a lot of Cash and hated his music as a child and teenager. St Quentin song literally made my skin crawl. I think i couldn't handle the pain in his voice.
Now i can appreciate his unique style and incredible vibe and emotion he brings to the songs.

I was that way toward country music in general. Only relatively recently have I fallen in love with classic country.
Hoping to catch Willie Nelson w/ Van Morrison this summer (or Willie & Allison Kraus if that falls through).

I was that way toward country music in general. Only relatively recently have I fallen in love with classic country.
Hoping to catch Willie Nelson w/ Van Morrison this summer (or Willie & Allison Kraus if that falls through).
I can relate to that - all that sincere sentimentalism of country music is a lot to handle, if you're not of that milieu naturally, or if you're the 'cool' ironic gen x (like me) haha country was ultimate cringe. Some things one just has to mature into.

That sounds amazing, whichever combo you end up with. Van Morrison is one of my all-time GOAT's and saw him only once in concert, in Copenhagen 1992. Allison Kraus is awesome, too. Enjoy.

Lots of people give credit to cash for songs he did not right. Really after his first few years at sun most of his well known songs he did not write. There's just better writers than cash like James brown, smokey Robinson, hank williams, merle haggard, buddy holly, marvin gaye, sly stone, woody guthrie, willie nelson, prince, willie dixon wrote so many great songs not even led zeppelin could steal them all.

Johnny Cash covered several Springsteen songs on his albums (Highway patrolman, Johnny 99, I’m on fire, etc). Cash is very cool, but Springsteen is a much, much better song writer. It’s not remotely close to be honest.

Johnny Cash would admit that much. He was asked why he covers Bruce so much and he said, “None of us can say it as well as Bruce” (something close to that).

So many greats. Most have been mentioned. Here's a few others I love:

Smokey Robinson
Carole King
Holland / Dozier
Buddy Holly
Scott Joplin
Willie Dixon
Sam Cooke
Neil Young
Cole Porter
Chuck Berry
Stevie Nicks
Robert Johnson

One of my all-time favorite performances. Bruce Springsteen (on the poll) singing James Taylor (who ought to be there):

It's Bob Dylan. No one else even comes close. The man is in a league of his own. There are others who I like more. Lou Reed and Tom Waits are my personal favorites, but it doesn't matter. Dylan is the greatest American singer songwriter.

James taylor write his own songs? If so it's him 100%

Back