Best boxing glove size to train with?

Staring At Fate

Refuse To Lose.
Reaction score
I started off with 16oz because I was told it builds strength and adds power to your punches. However I see people training with 12oz/14oz and it seems like a better size to gain technique,speed,power. I also heard 16oz is meant for sparring can any of you shed some light on this? Another thing I was thinking of if I get into a fight/MMA match wouldn't it be more practical to train with smaller gloves?

I started off with 16oz because I was told it builds strength and adds power to your punches. However I see people training with 12oz/14oz and it seems like a better size to gain technique,speed,power. I also heard 16oz is meant for sparring can any of you shed some light on this? Another thing I was thinking of if I get into a fight/MMA match wouldn't it be more practical to train with smaller gloves?

I train with 16oz gloves, but you could use 14oz or 12 oz if you really want. Then when you put on 12oz, 8oz, or 4oz gloves it will feel like nothing, and you're arm muscles wont fatigue as easily. I think?

For sparring, use 16oz unless you're a smaller guy or a really big guy.

For bag/pad work, you can use smaller if you want. They make gloves specifically designed for bag/pad work. They usually have a denser padding and come in two styles. Classic, which are compact and come with a detached thumb that doesn't have any padding on it. These have been around forever, and cheap versions are usually included in those cheap "heavy bag" packages they sell in WalMart. These are generally lighter weights, 8oz-10oz being the "norm".
The other style is a "super" bag glove, which is a cross of the denser padding and support of a classic bag glove, with the size and styling of a sparring glove. I've seen these anywhere from 8oz to 14oz (though they probably make them heavier, too).

I've only got one pair of 16oz sparring gloves at the moment (I don't spar, so they're just bag/pad gloves). They're kinda crap, and the thumb compartment is a little too tight with wraps (whether I actually wrap the thumb or not). They serve their purpose and I will get a nicer pair when I start sparring.

14 oz for bag/pads , 16 oz to sparr(my gym makes you were 16 oz unless you are under 121)

So its safe to say smaller gloves are used mainly for technique? Bigger for power?

I always use 16 oz. gloves but my stance and style is that of a true boxer. Some say smaller gloves help with laser like accuracy, some say bigger gloves help develop power. I like to bang the drum so I stick with the heavier gloves.

Staring has it right on the money.

When I do Standup only, i use my 16 oz Boxing gloves. Most of the people i got against are wearing smaller but Its not that big of a deal to me. And then when I sparr with people but theres Ground game involved also, then i use my 8 oz MMA Gloves.

You spar and train with heavier gloves so when fight time comes and you wear the smaller gloves, they feel super light and your speed improves with that.

I personally use 12oz gloves on pads, 14 or 16 for sparring. The weight is not so much the issue as the structure of the glove and it's intended purpose. My 12oz gloves are "bag" gloves (Grant), the padding is denser and more compact, so when i am hitting the pads i get better feedback from them....... As for sparring gloves, you want to get a glove that is made to "spar or train" with, the padding is not as dense and is made for protecting your sparring partner..... Truth is, the weight difference between a 12oz sparring glove and a 16oz sparring glove is only 4oz'z, which really is negligible...... the build of the glove is more important for the intended purpose. I have a pair of 14oz Twins hook n loop gloves that i use for MT sparring, and the padding is bulky around the top and front of the glove to absorb a shin, and the strap is thick and wide to protect the wrist...... because of the padding distribution they feel a whole lot bigger and slower than my boxing gloves that are Winning lace up 16oz's, which honestly even feel lighter than my 12oz bag gloves because the padding is so evenly distributed.......... So in summation, the difference in weight is only a matter of 2-4oz per glove, which is or should be barely noticeable. The build or structure of the glove and how it fits is really what makes a glove feel lighter, or faster...... Also, there is really not much difference in getting hit with a 12oz sparring glove than their is a 16oz sparring glove, given they are the same make/model. But their is a big difference in getting hit with a pad glove vs. bag glove, or a standard vs. mexican style glove........ I would much rather get hit with a 12oz twins glove than i would a 16oz lace up Reyes glove...... seriously!

That said, if your training for MMA, you should be doing a fair amount of your bag/pad and light sparring work with actual MMA gloves........

You spar and train with heavier gloves so when fight time comes and you wear the smaller gloves, they feel super light and your speed improves with that.

like i mentioned above, their aint much difference in 2-4oz's...... and truth is, your speed doesn't really improve, your perception of speed improves...... the speed difference in a punch with an extra 2-4oz of weight is not significant enough to even be measurable by anything other than super slow motion cameras, and even then it is only a fraction of fraction, etc..... of a second faster, if that. Really, if your wearing 16oz gloves to train, without hand wraps, a 12oz pair of gloves with wraps weighs about the same, maybe more when the wraps soak up the sweat......

honestly... i can feel a HUGE difference in pop between a 12 and 16.

i use 12's only for mitt work. cause we work technique and power so i wanna keep up.. feel what it's like to punch at my full potential. i need to get the 10oz usa boxing glove too... those things feel so much different than training gloves.

16's for sparring and bag work.

im a huge gear junkie.... i got alot of good shit i should do reviews on. winnings, casanova, reyes, shevlins.... all that good shit :)

I use 10oz in class, heavy bag and pads 12oz mexican laces and sparring 16oz.

I use 14 ounces joya's and I wouldn't trade them for a thing.

Yeah the first time I put on 12 oz gloves for am competition it felt like I had nothing on compared to the 16 oz gloves I normally wear

I use 10 for everything. Works pretty well for me.

honestly... i can feel a HUGE difference in pop between a 12 and 16.

i use 12's only for mitt work. cause we work technique and power so i wanna keep up.. feel what it's like to punch at my full potential. i need to get the 10oz usa boxing glove too... those things feel so much different than training gloves.

16's for sparring and bag work.

im a huge gear junkie.... i got alot of good shit i should do reviews on. winnings, casanova, reyes, shevlins.... all that good shit :)

I'm a gear junkie in denial, always wanna buy new stuff:icon_twis ,I own 4 cups,I only use two,and that's just the start of it.

I use 10 for everything. Works pretty well for me.

I considered getting tinier bag gloves I figure you would get better wrist support and make your more technical due to less padding.

Use 14 for general training. 12's or 16's for sparring.

I use 10's for pad and bags, and 12's or 16's for sparring, depending on the situation.

I'm a gear junkie in denial, always wanna buy new stuff:icon_twis ,I own 4 cups,I only use two,and that's just the start of it.

Not sure I fully understood what is your point... but, I go full power with 10 and no pain. Using elastic handwraps. I am going to buy new pair in a couple of months. Probably Cleto Reyes. Or something similar :)

If your only going to carry on pair then make them 16's. It's safer for sparring.

Back