Best boxing glove size to train with?

all the people saying its disrespectful to spar with <16oz, I don't get it. I myself wear 12oz gloves for bag work and 16oz for sparring but train with people who wear 10-12oz for everything and never had an issue with a lack of padding during sparring. The bottom line is a good quality glove should have plenty of padding. After all it is training, neither of you should be going in 100% anyways...

What type of striking are you talking about?

me and training partners are all friends too.... but the truth is, when we spar we go hard. not 100% but damn near close to it. 16oz gloves, headgear, mouthpiece is all mandatory.

i can only imagine how ugly it would be if we used 12oz with no headgear... god damn

train hard, fight easy

just to clarify, im not against using 16oz gloves, and i do myself, im just saying ive never had a problem with fighting somebody whos wearing a lower oz glove and dont see why people are calling others disrespectful for not...
IF your wearing 16oz then you know you can go a bit harder (which is why i use them), but i find those that don't manage fine, just my personal experience though.

I would never tolerate a beginner to use 16oz... until they can prove that they control their strength. then we can move on to 12oz, always with headgear.

Totally understand what you're saying Mooney.
As long as it's light 12's are ok, once the pace
and hardness increases though 16's are the safe way
to go IMO.

Back