Best Brand Earplugs

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hi, which brand of earplugs do you guys prefer when shooting at indoor shooting range? Also, how do you overcome flinching from the sound of a gun going off? Thank you.

Cheap electronic muffs have worked well for me.

Anticipating recoil I find more of a problem than sound.

I mean I use the Howard leight electronic muffs. They're 22db I think, slim & only like 50$ and have been great for the couple years I've had them.

I would say MSA pro x are the best they are fucking phenomenal but also like 250$

Peltor tactical 100 are good too. Alittle quieter audio than the Howard's imo. Also about 50-60$

As far as anticipated recoil & flinching go I have always said that's just an experience thing. The more rounds you shoot, the more hours, eventually you get over it.

MSA Sordin's are the best muffs you can get on the market but their price also reflects that.

My favorite ear plugs are those cheap foam orange ones you can buy in a jar that has like 100 of them in it.

EP7 sonic defenders with Howard Leight Impact Sports.

More recoil impluse vs sound imo but the answer is practice. Practice dry firing and good fundamentals. Possibly even start with .22lr and move up to 9mm. While at the range shoot slowly. No reason to increase speed until you make good hits taking your time.

My favorite ear plugs are those cheap foam orange ones you can buy in a jar that has like 100 of them in it.

What's great about them is you can supply them to whoever needs them and not worry about the cost or getting them back. Gave out a pair my last trip to the range.

What's great about them is you can supply them to whoever needs them and not worry about the cost or getting them back. Gave out a pair my last trip to the range.

I bring two impact sports, 1 pair sonic defenders(for me only) and 4 pack bag of foamies(to give out if needed)

It's funny seeing people experience the electronic hearing for the first time.

I bring two impact sports, 1 pair sonic defenders(for me only) and 4 pack bag of foamies(to give out if needed)

When shooting with my LA buddy recently I told him for a gift I'd get him some electronic muffs. He said he preferred his non-electronic ones. Wanted as much sound removed as possible. It made no sense to me, but since he's difficult when arguing I moved on.

I love turning my Howard Leight's all the way up, I swear you can hear a whisper at like 50+ feet

When shooting with my LA buddy recently I told him for a gift I'd get him some electronic muffs. He said he preferred his non-electronic ones. Wanted as much sound removed as possible. It made no sense to me, but since he's difficult when arguing I moved on.

Strange, anybody I know that tried them loved them and got a pair

I love turning my Howard Leight's all the way up, I swear you can hear a whisper at like 50+ feet

Yeah it's awesome. Just walking and doing regular things with them all the wat up sounds weird at first. It seems like you can hear people talking 1/4 mile away.

Hi, which brand of earplugs do you guys prefer when shooting at indoor shooting range? Also, how do you overcome flinching from the sound of a gun going off? Thank you.

I've tried Custom earplugs:
westone-style-40-custom-earplugs-1.gif

Earmuffs:
41VMsS1EAGL._SY300_.jpg

Lately about all I use are these, for shooting, hunting, riding motorcycles and tuning out motherfuckers.

4105wg9BrEL.jpg

If you need super noise reduction, try earplug/earmuff combo.

I run those Howard Leights people were talking about and have some Surefire earplugs I wore underneath.

I like the Surefire earplugs but I do not like having them on underneath those Howard Leights and they hur like a motherfucker.

I like the surefire plugs for pistol only. Rifles I upgrade to my Peltors.

I like the surefire plugs for pistol only. Rifles I upgrade to my Peltors.

How is the clearance/fit of those with cheek weld with those. My friend has a very nice pair of pro ears but they aren't comfortable at all with bench/prone shooting. They definitely are clearer, less white noise, better reduction, etc but you can basically only use it for pistols and free standing AR's depending on stock.

1361852_0gg11.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001...c+earmuffs&dpPl=1&dpID=41Ax4oZwZmL&ref=plSrch

I've been using Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronics for 4 or 5 years. Same pair, no issues. Takes 3 AAA batteries, and the batteries last much longer than you think they would.
I'd highly recommend them if you do a lot of shooting. Having comfortable ear protection goes a long way if you shoot IDPA/USPSA or something where you are wearing them for extended periods of time. They also allow you to hear clearly, in fact, with the volume louder, I can hear much better than my normal ears.

How is the clearance/fit of those with cheek weld with those. My friend has a very nice pair of pro ears but they aren't comfortable at all with bench/prone shooting. They definitely are clearer, less white noise, better reduction, etc but you can basically only use it for pistols and free standing AR's depending on stock.

Yeah on the M1A the high rise cheek rest bumps but not too bad. Pretty dependent on the stock shape.

Been wearing MSA Sordins since i was in the service. well worth the price. built like a brick shithouse.

Been wearing MSA Sordins since i was in the service. well worth the price. built like a brick shithouse.
How do the Sordin's compare to those fancy Peltor ones like these:
$_3.JPG

I like my Howard Leights but they don't quite fit right/seal around my ears hence why I use earplugs under and I've always had good luck with Peltor's fitting.

Back