Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts (2013)

• Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (2016)

• Call of Duty: WWII (2017)

• Total voters
Not a COD gamer. I'm aware MW2 is favored probably by more franchise gamers than any other, but what exactly did it innovate for the genre?

Well, I've played all the games in the COD series up until Black Ops 3, but one disclaimer I have to throw out there is that I didn't play the multi-player modes until I got a copy of MW2.

What really made MW2 stand out from the rest was the cinematic presentation and the gripping story plot of the single player mode, and the smooth game play overall. Also, the killstreaks, perks, and the weapon customizations of the multi-player mode really set a new standard for the series.

It's hard to put it into words, but I felt that the general ambience of the multi-player mode was so intense and immersive that it was very hard to let go of my controller after a couple hours of playing. It was just so damn addictive.

The fast paced, run and gun style of the series was in stark contrast to the slow and methodical pace of Counter-Strike, an FPS I played heavily before I switched over to the former. The latter required good teamwork, planning and communication amongst teammates and required deceased players to wait until the match was over to spawn, whereas the latter said Fuck You to all of that and players spawned immediately after death a la Unreal Tournament and the gameplay had more of a free for all vibe regardless of whether or not you were playing in a Team Deathmatch.

It's been a while since I played multiplayer FPS games regularly. I think I stopped somewhere after COD: Ghosts came out. Nowadays the only multi-player game I play online is Street Fighter V.

But as far as my opinion goes on MW2 and its legacy in the annals of video game history, I'd say it's right up there in the same tier as Wolfenstein, Doom, and Half Life.

World at War is the only one I like, so it gets my vote here.

Can’t remember what was the most recent CoD game I played...MW3? Black Ops? I just found the modern CoD games to never be any fun compared to the WW2 era games

online gameplay - bo2 for me.

story mode - mw2 or bo1.

I'd go with World at War on the PC. Console versions was still a good game but MW2 beats it IMO. On the PC, however, WOrld at War had custom zombies maps and mods. These were the absolute shit, you could mod in any weapons and make crazy maps. Had many a fun LAN party playing those maps

World at War. I've heard the first Black Ops is really good but unfortunately I never played it. A buddy and I bought MW2 back in the day but we found it to be meh. Haven't been interested in CoD since

Black ops 1 was alot of game: Good story, zombies, good multiplayer.

I loved the multiplayer for flak jacket pro/ tac mask pro/steady aim pro. Being able to just counter all the bullshit in COD games with one class was so much fun.

Hands down MW2. It revolutionized the FPS genre at the time.
Nah, COD4 Modern Warfare did. It's often called the GOAT COD game for a reason.

People calling MW2 the best COD over COD4 is probably because they didn't own COD4 when it came out.

I always thought the original Call of Duty's United Offensive expansion offered the best all-around Call of Duty experience to date. It paired the excellent infantry gameplay with larger maps that had jeeps and tanks, which gave it a Battlefield-like feel. It was almost like having Call of Duty and Battlefield mashed into one game, and it worked beautifully.

Not a COD gamer. I'm aware MW2 is favored probably by more franchise gamers than any other, but what exactly did it innovate for the genre?
Movement, graphics, online play and ultimately the maps and kill streaks make it most exciting than anything before it. For a long time as well, as much as people hated it, the noob tubes and OMA combos brought droves of people to it. I also think it coincided with an explosion of Youtube as a platform to broadcast that action. Combine it all together and it was definitely a new era.

Surprised the amount of love MW2 gets. The multiplayer in that game was a complete buggy mess and not even close to being balanced. If it got released today it would get ripped to shit by critics and fans alike. CoD 4 had less killstreaks and flashy colourful things to play with but it holds up way better and is an absolute classic.

Modern Warfare 2... I also Enjoyed Modern Warfare 1, Black Ops 2 and the Warzone. None of the rest did it for me.

I only played maybe two of them bought cheap used.

I would have guessed the newer ones would be better due to console power and expanding and improving on the earlier games' strengths.
<Dany07>

The newest MW is the best by far. Only COD game I've ever gotten hooked on.

For Single player, the original game. For multiplayer, MW1

I also think it coincided with an explosion of Youtube as a platform to broadcast that action.

IMO this is the biggest thing that pushed it beyond COD4. At the time I remember there were tons of Youtube content for MW2. There were a lot more meme things to do in that game and it made for fun videos.

Surprised the amount of love MW2 gets. The multiplayer in that game was a complete buggy mess and not even close to being balanced. If it got released today it would get ripped to shit by critics and fans alike. CoD 4 had less killstreaks and flashy colourful things to play with but it holds up way better and is an absolute classic.

I agree with this. I think it mainly has to do with people loving MW2 for the craziness and again because of the popularity on Youtube. Dual wielding the shotguns which had seemingly infinite range, OMA noobtube spamming, commando knifing from 17 miles away, that one glitch where you would run around with the AA missile and explode yourself and a massive area etc. etc. the game was ridiculous and to me it kind of just got enraging after a while because it was nonstop bs after bs lol

COD4 had some balance issues for sure (mostly the M16) but overall imo had the best mix of arcadey but not completely broken gameplay. The maps also overall were the best.

Don't you think that was part of the fun though?

It reminds me of the MK games.. Kombat 11 is this truy hard footsie game that is neither the balanced 2D game it acts like not is it the MK action most want. Capcom vs Marvel 2 is rediculously unbalanced and people still play the shit out of it.

I do think you are right though, if released today it would be shit on by the zoomers.

Back