Best defence against a knife attack?

G

GameTime

IYO guys what move from any discipline would you favour if an attacker came at you with a knife looking to do some damage, appologies if this is in the wrong forum.

maybe an explaination for your choice?

try the weapons and tactics forum

Use a big gun.

There is no defense vs knife except fast feet..... RUN and pick a big stick up and throw it in his face and repeat until he doesnt move anymore.

the best defense would definitley be running

A gun from the Glock or HK style. Knife cuts hurt like hell, bleed real bad and heal slow and it's too damn easy to get cut. Run if you have not studied Glock style self defense.

Seriously though if you have no immediate option to run kick the fucker in the shin or instep hard as hell and then run. Or do like I did one time when a fuck pulled one in a street fight, get behind him with a chicken wing and bite the SOBs ear off. Then he will drop the knife and you kick his ass while he squeals like Ned Beatty in Deliverance while he bleeds all over the place. No nice way to defend against a blade.

so you wouldnt go with bas' recommendation of a crucifix then? lol

running it is then.

Fleet feet never got beat.

Run your ass off and don't look back.

If you can't run, just try to make sure the knife doesn't hit any vitals. This includes some areas you wouldn't think of, like your armpits and wrists. You can get some nasty nerve damage, not to mention a lot of blood lost from those places. Priority one is avoid the knife. Priority two (if you're relatively untrained) is to just grab the knife hand and go all out on the guy. You're fighting for your life after all.

Here is a NO BULLSHIT demonstration on knife defence and y its BEST TO RUN when u have the option. If u dont have the option u better KO the mother fucker fast!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3314413849946719103

Take not of this video. Look what the knife does to the side of beef...imagine what it will do to your body or arm.

pick up a chair or somehting to sea asa shield or a stick for longer reach. if unarmed use either a crescernt kick or a keylock to defnd it.

I would also say run...but if you can't..make sure u use the front of your forearm to block anything...but mostly just run.

Your first, best option as in any fight: beat feet out of there. If that's not a good option:

1) The best time to make a move is when the guy goes for the knife. Chances are he has to reach inside something (pocket, belt scabbard, boot) to retrieve it. If you see someone reaching for something, bum rush them and take them out. At the very lease rush in and shove them down; if he reaches again, that's your clue that this guy is packing *something* he wants to bring to bear, and you should beat him mercilessly.

2) Once it's out: if you can, grab an improvised weapon.

-- Anything that can be used as a club, especially if it gives you range, is preferable to a knife. If you're in a bar near a pool table, grab a cue. If you have time and it's a two-piece, unscrew it and use the thick butt end; if not, still try to use the butt end to strike, slash or jab with the thin end.

-- A bar stool held on the seat end and used as a parry weapon (think of a lion tamer) is great; you can block the knife hand and/or shove the legs into him (if you can trap the knife hand) and shove him off balance.

-- If you have a belt, get it off pronto, wrap the end with the holes in your hand once or twice, and use it like a flail, striking with the buckle. Keep it swinging at a lazy, circular arc next to your body, whip it hard when they move, striking with the buckle. It's a simple, time-tested, old-school dirty brawling/gang-fighting tactic that will split the skin on an opponents' head wide open if it hits his skull and will hurt like a sumbitch everywhere else..

If you know how, you can block slashes with the belt (holding an end in each hand) and/or use it to tie up the knife hand and eventually disable an opponent. Can't be explained, you just have to learn.

-- Pick up something, throw it, rush when he flinches and raises his hands to protect himself.

-- If you have only your mitts and feet to rely on: that depends on the size of the blade and type/direction of attack. Sidestep stabs, and for slashes, move in on the raising of the blade or the downswing and trap the arm. Even if you fail to get control, you're better off in close; stabs are bad, but slashes are worse. Slashes cause more nervous system shock, much worse bleeding, and incapacitation of muscles than stabs.

-- Remember the golden rule of knife defense: treat the knife as the extension of the arm. Defend accordingly.

-- Whether you attack empty-handed or bearing a weapon: incapacitate the knife hand. Hit it (or the forearm) with a club, slash it (or the forearn) with a cutting weapon, tie it up with a hold. If the knife hand is out of action, the knife is out of action, and your chances of getting away alive without major injury increases dramatically.

And train knife defense. Krav Maga, Judo, Jiu Jitsu (Brazilian or otherwise), Kali, and Hapkido all have an excellent repetoire of knife defenses.

one secret i've never seen anywhere teach is don't expose the front of your wrists, or atleaste try not to. If you really want to know the answer why, just think of what would happen if you got cut there.

Obviously I subscribe to both the gun and running options proposed by others. However, if *forced* to engage in a knife fight we may have to re-align our priorities. To say that knife defense is nearly impossible is somewhat true: almost certainly you *will* get cut. I've trained with ex-Yamam guys who said, "Everybody bleeds in a knife fight, somebody drips and somebody gushes. Somebody goes to the hospital and somebody goes to the morgue." I guess my point (short version) is that we may have to accept a Pyrrhic victory in this case, rather than the clean win we might usually look for.

1. run
2. if you have a gun use it
3. try to pick up something longer than a dagger (like a stick) to keep him away from you.
4run
5run
6run
7run

stav said:
Take not of this video. Look what the knife does to the side of beef...imagine what it will do to your body or arm.

no need to imagin here

"Sent from a Deputy US Marshal in El Paso Texas

This fella tried to disarm a guy with a knife instead of just shooting him

After these pics are finished doing the rounds I doubt that same mistake will be made by anybody else"

Pics removed due to graphic nature.

Jonutaar I'm not sure where you got those pics but I saw them a couple of weeks ago. That happened here in Korea, and no the guy wasn't trying to disarm anyone instead of shooting them, he got jumped and shanked.

yo those pictures freaked me out a bit

Best defence against a knife is run as fast as you can. I was once in a fight and decked this guy, His friend started to have a go at me i turned round and the guy i decked stabbed me thru the legs with a big "rambo " knife.... Went right thru the thigh was out of action straight away nothing i could do about it

Back