Best defence against a knife attack?

attack him back
by grabbing his knife hand. disable it as fast as possible at the same time
making him off balance.

<table><tr><td align=center><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FcC-_gUNWXI"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FcC-_gUNWXI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object></td></tr><tr><td align=center>[size=+2]+[/size]</td></tr><tr><td>
katana.jpg
</td></tr></table>

greatest defence of all time, shotgun to the balls. fight = over, pwnt for life.

The Kendo is like Judo primarily concerned with the initating part of combat.

either run, fucking fast - or find something longer than his knife, like a plank of wood, and twat him around the head and face with it.

Remember if he's too close, dont swing it - just jab it at him

As many have stated, if he knows how to use that knife, you're probably screwed. And how do you know how good he is? You can't. Highest chance of survival is to comply with his demands. Failing that (more if he's threatening rather than making a demand), attempt to verbally appease him. Failing that run. If you've gotta fight, make sure you've trained for the situation.

re: another weapon
Unless that weapon (makeshift or not) is already in your hand when you see the knife, this strategy is like an ostrich sticking its head in the sand. I'm not that fast, but with a knife in hand I would wager that I am probably fast enough to do serious/fatal damage to you before you could bring a weapon to bear.

re: grabbing his wrist
You had better know what you are doing. That means training it against bigger, stronger, faster opponents with varying skill levels. I've done knife grappling, and it is definitely not easy. Assume your attacker knows what he's doing and treat him appropriately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXfZ9C9vJso&search=Pekiti Tirsia

I like some of the trapping and attacking techniques. I'd like to see more footwork and defence though. Knife fighting is a fucker either way, odds of survival are slim, even at top level. I prefer other gun defences that don't involve pulling the barrel across your path. I think I gave an example elsewhere.

The supernatural stuff I don't believe in.

If you like this, they did a similar segment on the same show about Penchak Silat. That was an awesome segment.

well, first off, if I would try to run. there's a difference between bravery and suicide.

if I couldnt run, being that there is always this around, I would throw sand in his face, furiously...then I would run, or if he had already dropped the knife, I would stomp on his face until he was dead or pretty close to it...

I would run but if he had me like cornered and I couldn't run I would kick him in the nuts then in the stomache and run or if he dropped the knife I would pick it up stab it in his neck then run

VampireMonk said:
attack him back
by grabbing his knife hand. disable it as fast as possible at the same time
making him off balance.

That's fucking retarted. I really hope you dont mean that.

If you have to use any empty hand technique against a knifer it may be your last.

A good pair of running shoes is a good option though.

GameTime said:
IYO guys what move from any discipline would you favour if an attacker came at you with a knife looking to do some damage, appologies if this is in the wrong forum.

maybe an explaination for your choice?

Greco roman wrestling + Kali + Sambo. Bjj also has some excellent moves against a knife. Always want to think grappling and preferably standup grappling when defending a knife. Defending a knife is a very difficult thing to do though. I guess getting a weapon asap would be what I would do, but chances are you aren't even going to know the guy has a knife until you get stuck. If you think he has a knife and the fight hasn't started yet, either stay far away or close in and control his arms if you have to. Dangerous situation, in some ways worse than a gun.

Via KO said:
That's fucking retarted. I really hope you dont mean that.

If you have to use any empty hand technique against a knifer it may be your last.

A good pair of running shoes is a good option though.

that's fucking retarded?

has it ever occured to you in some situations you don't have the option to run.
sometimes you just got stabbed, NOW the fight begins, you got to defend yourself NOW.

no your, right, let's run, that is all you need, infact you don't need MMA either, cause you can run.
forget martial arts at all, just run. hey so why train in martial arts?
oh for spiritual reasons because for practical stuff all you need is RUN.

Back