Best defence is offense (sparring)?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Having done some sparring with relatively high level guys, the thing that strikes me (no pun intended) is that offense is the best defence against all-out blitz krieg fighters. They haven't perfected defence due to their aggressive orientation and simply don't know what to do. THey might also decrease their level of aggression seeing what you got.

Yeah you might get hurt in the process but you are still better off turning the tables in my experience than simply drifting, like a prey in the wild.

Opinions? If you face someone with more experience, do you go aggressive on them and try to impose your own game, or do you try to stall them and wait for an opportunity? The latter did not work for me at all. That opportunity just never came up. But aggressiveness did work.

I'm pretty sure your suppose to be technical but aggressive? But not brawl because that shit doesn't work against a high level guy. Unless your way more durable.

I'm pretty sure your suppose to be technical but aggressive? But not brawl because that shit doesn't work against a high level guy. Unless your way more durable.

Brawling works if you're a weight class or two above the dude but technically inferior. I've seen it and it's pretty surprising. Kickboxing

You sparring high level guys?

Yeah I'm gonna require evidence for that.

Brawling works if you're a weight class or two above the dude but technically inferior. I've seen it and it's pretty surprising. Kickboxing

Well there are people who are still durable in the same weight class. Think of Alistair overeem, he has a glass chin and if there was a super heavyweight division he would be in it. He would get knocked out by some guys in the light heavyweight division though if they got 3 clean shots.

You don't have to be really big to take punches.

we may have different definitions of high level...someone who is high level will have a solid defense regardless of how aggressive they are on offense, otherwise a solid counter striker would be a hard counter to them...

otherwise a solid counter striker would be a hard counter to them...

Not the same thing. It's a different type of game when you are pushing someone back, rather than simply countering. My observations have been that those that those that are usually the ones pushing forward, lose a lot of venom when you do the same back.

we may have different definitions of high level...someone who is high level will have a solid defense regardless of how aggressive they are on offense, otherwise a solid counter striker would be a hard counter to them...

your new to the forum i think? maybe you dont know of spacetime yet but you surely will in time.

Then you definitely aren’t sparring with high level athletes...but if they have shit defense then play safe wait for the big opening they’re bound to give, counter strike and turn the tide...otherwise it just turns into two people swinging and becomes a slugfest...unless they’re shitty scaredy cats afraid to be hit(in which case they’re not even at the top of the low level fighters...middle of the low level fighters)

your new to the forum i think? maybe you dont know of spacetime yet but you surely will in time.
i am, and it seems that he’ll provide much entertainment.

I haven’t even had an opportunity for heavy contact sparring in years and this is already becoming hilarious.

My question is what are you really trying to say? LoL

Martial Arts or even Boxing incorporates many aspects its just not a brawl even though some who brawl can actually fluke a K.O this can be seen in many real life situations. Where even cops sadly have been king hit and K.O'd, seriously injured and even murdered.......... just Google this.......... just as real as this is, so is jail.

However, a trained fighter in a sport environment with intent can cause serious damage, where a novice with hard kicking or punching can also but not knowing enough or having been trained to an A-Class level on how to do it with understanding and correct technique.

Which one is the more feared or should you respect more, the guy who simply hits harder or the one who is properly trained.

All this jive talk about pressure testing matters not when you are a true A-class elite, having the knowledge and conditioning and the intent to fight balls up if you like.

E.g Nate vs Conor II fight...... thats was ballsy

So defensive techniques or in martial arts contracting meaning stepping back is a way of countering a forward attack its also a method of analyzing opponents structure and observing angular possible open attacks as you expand in offensive striking.

Offensive attacks have momentum and force if you have a target and distance accurately measured to execute good striking, because a moving target is hard to actually hit.

Now if you are talking linear pushing someone back losing their balance and foot work then who has the benefit the guy who is attacking of course, unless the other fighter gains mental awareness and stops you at your game by many means of causing you to become defensive.

E.g Floyd vs Conor ........walk down.

Non of this is easy its all active alive and but where I see studying the fighting arts is where one wrongly reads their opponent then falls into trouble.

Forward attack is also limiting you in many ways, you are exerting force and energy quicker, you are also the most visible where the opponent can study your attack patterns and find weaknesses.

You see what I mean?

When you have a cagey fighter who has been properly trained and has the knowledge its a different story for example watch Saenchai

Did you see the countless times he contracts or stands back in other words reads the fight then attacks............... Fighter IQ and balls to go in!

Fighting is also about feeling / touch sensitivity, knowing, reading, observing, relaxing, staying ready, reaction, timing speed, power, conditioning, probing, feint attacks, fake attacks....so on...... not just forward attacking.

Does that makes any sense in adding to the thread...........?

Last edited:
Then you definitely aren’t sparring with high level athletes...but if they have shit defense then play safe wait for the big opening they’re bound to give, counter strike and turn the tide...otherwise it just turns into two people swinging and becomes a slugfest...unless they’re shitty scaredy cats afraid to be hit(in which case they’re not even at the top of the low level fighters...middle of the low level fighters)

High wrote relatively high level.

Wait is this dude Charlie zelenof? Or is Charlie one of those high skill people he’s sparred? (After all he is undefeated lol)

This is high level.

So quit the semantics and let's get back to the thread, shall we?

Back