Best defense for a collar grab from a standing position as a pure grappler

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
What would be, as a grappler, the best self-defense approach for the collar grab?

Kinda like a collar grab that you see in a hockey fight ,for example?

If somebody grabs you, it means that hand is occupied and can't defend. So I'd probably throw a hook on that side. As a grappler.

Grappling answer? Wrist lock. Street answer? Takedown or punch.

Ooooooh going on a 100% waki gatame would be badass

Depends on whether high or low.

High and straight arm collar grip I like to cross grip and rip over to arm drag. You can also bump the elbow hard and change levels to a body lock or double leg.

Low collar grip is more annoying to break, but like uchi says, if they holding, they ain’t punching, so go with that.

Ooooooh going on a 100% waki gatame would be badass

Guy tried to snatch my gym back as I was getting off a train. I snapped his elbow with a straight armlock to the ground (Waki Gatame).

MYoNk.gif

Last edited:
A same side check hook. or shrug to russian tie.....that would be my instincts (street/ gym respectively)

I think shinya does both actually. He does one against the underhook also. He is a mean sob

The famous video of him snapping a guys arm was vs the overhook; vs an underhook you don't really have a hard lever to put your whole bodies torque into it since his arm is behind you rather than in front of you like for a proper waki gatame. In such a case, what one might do might be like the standing americana cranks Jon Jones did to Glover Teixeira.

The famous video of him snapping a guys arm was vs the overhook; vs an underhook you don't really have a hard lever to put your whole bodies torque into it since his arm is behind you rather than in front of you like for a proper waki gatame. In such a case, what one might do might be like the standing americana cranks Jon Jones did to Glover Teixeira.

I think that's true, shinya does both counters to underhooks and overhooks, he has the overhook counter in his dvds, he has that poor guy that he broke his arm of in his dvd too and it was a counter to the overhook it starts at the 34 min mark of his super techniques DVD.

Last edited:
What would be, as a grappler, the best self-defense approach for the collar grab?

Kinda like a collar grab that you see in a hockey fight ,for example?
Hook or uppercut same side as the grab. Since it's self defense you can grab the trachea for alot of leverage while doing some sort of reap or whatever takedown you are comfortable with. Stomp.

I could swear that I saw a video where he wizzered the underhook and grabbed his hads together and he torqued like crazy. I think it was in a gi match actually

Back