Best defense for a collar grab from a standing position as a pure striker

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
What would be, as a striker, the best self-defense approach for the collar grab?

Kinda like a collar grab that you see in a hockey fight ,for example?

There are quite a few things you can do strikingwise but you have to practice it because it involves balance and is like standing grappling.

A good one is, when they reach out for the grab, fade back or diagonal a little and kick them hard in the gut, ribs, knee or dick. They'll be leaning in (for the grab) so it will hit them extra, extra hard and will penetrate so much worse than anything they've probably ever felt. It will change their mind for that moment

If you're already grabbed, it's a different ballgame. You should probably study some judo to best take advantage of this, but this is also one of the (few) scenarios where even aikido can actually work, since grabs are almost all that aikido does drills against.

If you're not used to being grabbed and fighting for balance, angles, etc. then you need to do this first in something like Judo before anyone can help you. So don't get grabbed and if you do get grabbed, you're going to have to finesse some standing grappling before you can deploy striking very well, since the whole point of grabbing someone's collar is to take them off balance (usually backwards) and manipulate/control them while the grabber punches them so they can't fight back well.

If you do MT you might have some good ideas of what to do, get them in a clinch or a sweep, maybe. Regular Boxing or karate may not work so well since they are controlling your balance- unless you already have some background in some standing grappling art.

This is all assuming that the guy grabbing you is bigger/stronger than you, which they always are. No one grabs a bigger stronger guy than them by the collar

Last edited:
Don frye vs takayama

I like to reach over (the side that they have a tie on) and grab their ear on the opposite side. Well, not grab it, but just use is as an over-tie - you can get good leverage for a break of balance.

Pure striking, like Reyesnuthugr said, your now engaged in grappling......your opponent has a hold on your collar, you need to learn how to get out of it before engaging in striking........Judo or MT can help you at this point because any strike you try to throw apart from your opposite arm (which you will not be able to throw effectively at this point) can be pretty much nullified by the larger opponent.

With TKD based elbows, obviously.

<22>

That's not even a real move........

Now this is the correct way from a striking stand point to get out of it. l am too old to pull off the hair do any more (my Trumpisk wig will fall off) , so a cartoon gif of me pulling off the required escape move..........will have to do........

https://goo.gl/images/Z4HGNj

Elbow him
grab the inside of his elbow with your lead hand. drop your weight and take a half step back with the front foot. as you step back throw the right elbow. if you do it right, they pull back against it adding more power to the elbow.

Last edited:
grab the inside of his elbow with your lead hand. drop your weight and take a half step back with the front foot. as you step back throw the right elbow. if you do it right, they pull back against it adding more power to the elbow.

He's bigger than you and has a firm grip on your collar and your both wearing clothing.........I know you was thinking you was both naked.......we was not talking about the homoerotic version of the escape and offering a BJ is not an option either......

He's bigger than you and has a firm grip on your collar and your both wearing clothing.........I know you was thinking you was both naked.......we was not talking about the homoerotic version of the escape and offering a BJ is not an option either......
never used it but it does work. it comes done to shifting the weight at the same time as you throw the elbow. anyway tell us about all that street fighting experience you have killer. you kinda sound like a complete fuck wit, i gotta say. every street fight i have ever had is against bigger people. how about you champ. tell us just what you suggest in such a situation.

Pure striking, like Reyesnuthugr said, your now engaged in grappling......your opponent has a hold on your collar, you need to learn how to get out of it before engaging in striking........Judo or MT can help you at this point because any strike you try to throw apart from your opposite arm (which you will not be able to throw effectively at this point) can be pretty much nullified by the larger opponent.
theoretically speaking, you a fuck wit that doesn't know shit from clay. strikes do work in such a situation. all you really do when you grab someone is leave yourself wide open to a right hand or right elbow. i have done it on a number of occasions. if you can actually hit (something a bitch like you would know nothing about) you just go for a single handed collar tie and uppercut the fuck outta them. uppercut, head butt them bite 'em on face (if they are real fuck heads like you).

I just recently did light boxing sparring with a very experienced MT fighter.
His clinch ability with one arm collar grab took every option I might have had. So if an experienced MT fighter does the grab I say you are fucked. Because he will use so much grip and force you forward that you wont be able to kick him hard. And he will missdirect your body with the grab so that uppercuts are very hard to place. If its just a meathead wanting to brawl its more like @eternaldarkness writes and he gives you even more options with neutralizing one or both of his arms on his own. I would take this as an invitation to throw him via body lock but striking sure is an option. I guess the best counter is what your main training focus is.

@eternaldarkness

I dont get why you are so agressive. Just relax.

I just recently did light boxing sparring with a very experienced MT fighter.
His clinch ability with one arm collar grab took every option I might have had. So if an experienced MT fighter does the grab I say you are fucked. Because he will use so much grip and force you forward that you wont be able to kick him hard. And he will missdirect your body with the grab so that uppercuts are very hard to place. If its just a meathead wanting to brawl its more like @eternaldarkness writes and he gives you even more options with neutralizing one or both of his arms on his own. I would take this as an invitation to throw him via body lock but striking sure is an option. I guess the best counter is what your main training focus is.

@eternaldarkness

I dont get why you are so agressive. Just relax.
well we didn't get dressed up for nuttin.

never used it but it does work. it comes done to shifting the weight at the same time as you throw the elbow. anyway tell us about all that street fighting experience you have killer. you kinda sound like a complete fuck wit, i gotta say. every street fight i have ever had is against bigger people. how about you champ. tell us just what you suggest in such a situation.

You never used it but it does work........makes sense......<45>

I guess you would want to put an arm up and over and cross face to make space, then try to punch your way out of it starting with your other hand.

You'd really want to break their tie up before doing too much because they have all the control.

Back