Best Defensive Kickboxers

UnderRatedGroundGame

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Title really says it all. We all know boxing's defensive and counter punchers greats, but I don't really know of any Kickboxers that are defensively orientated. I'm looking to study some videos and pick up some tips so if anyone can help that'll be great.

Stephen Thompson (wonderboy)? Even more so since he nowdays competes in frestyle rules (mma).

RAymond Daniels, he mad elusive, always out of range, but can dart right in. He almost the Roy Jones of KB.

+1 for Petrosyan, which makes him more effective as a counter striker.

There's the obvious ones like Petro and Levin.

Both guys have cat like ability to pull out of the way of a hook.

I always thought Buakaw could be pretty elusive when entering the clinch. He used pretty good head movement when coming in.

Generally, Kickboxing isn't really known for having alot of elusive fighters however. Alot of them rely rather heavily on covering up with their gloves. Not saying they never use it, but it's rarer.

Definitely Patrosyan, he is at the top defensively.

Side note i would say sanchei is more elusive then buakaw, buakaw has that moving fortress come forward style

Joe Lewis and Bill Wallace demonstrate excellent defense, offensive defensive, and defensive offense.

To put in a name that really needs to get brought up more often.

Remy Bonjasky. That dude had a tight guard that was deceptively hard to crack. People got caught up in the terrifying fact that a heavyweight could in fact fly, and forgot how rarely he actually got caught clean in a division full of big bangers.

Last edited:
Prime Nieky Holzken didn't get hit hard much at all. Very good use of the high guard to avoid damage and trigger counter.

Prime Nieky Holzken didn't get hit hard much at all. Very good use of the high guard to avoid damage and trigger counter.

Agreed, Nieky has more of a defensive style that lets him to steadily apply pressure.

For strictly kickboxing and newer era fighters, Cedric Doumbe. He won 2 times against Nicky Hotzen (and got the Glory title) but recently lost a very close split decision to Murthel Groenhart.

Giorgio Petrosyan, Faldir Chahbari and the Thai that have already been named itt.

Back