Best detective looking for serial killer movies

LHWBelt

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Pretty self explanitory. Which ones are the best? I've been reading kiss the girls which is actually a movie i may try and re-watching true detective season 1 so I'm clearly in the mood for this genre.

Oops supposed to be in the mayberry

The Millenium series:
The girl with the dragon tattoo
The girl who played with fire
The girl who kicked the hornets nest

Black Sunday

Zodiac

None are your conventional good guy looking to catch the vilain films but good films none the less imo

I want Jake Shields to investigate OneFC on why they hired the ugliest round girls in Asia.

Bm5khqcCcAASdnj.jpg

the book murder rap by greg harding(bout pac and big) if you like procedurals

The Fall with Gillian Anderson. It's a series on Netflix, not a movie though. The third season is a little =\ but it's pretty creepy and worth watching.

Really though, there are lots of Scandinavian Noir shows on Netflix that are good and creepy and involve a manhunt for a killer.

I like: Forbrydelsen, The Bridge, River (UK), Luther (UK - more episodic, but pretty entertaining), Happy Valley.

Citizen-X.jpg

Based on Andrey Chikatilo, probably one of the worst persons to ever live.

I've always liked Fallen with Denzel and John Goodman. I saw a really good Korean movie a few years back called Public Enemy. It was about this burned out cop chasing a serial killer. Definitely worth watching.

Silence of the Lambs
Red Dragon (and Manhunter)
Zodiac
Citizen X
The Deliberate Stranger
Seven

I'd say those are the best of the best, off the top of my head.

When a Stranger Calls, if that counts.

Last edited:
Citizen-X.jpg

Based on Andrey Chikatilo, probably one of the worst persons to ever live.

Stephen Rea was fantastic in this movie. Everyone was great - Sutherland, Jeffrey DeMunn, Joss Ackland. I'd say it was DeMunn's career performance.

Stephen Rea was fantastic in this movie. Everyone was great - Sutherland, Jeffrey DeMunn, Joss Ackland. I'd say it was DeMunn's career performance.
I agree, it's a great movie!

I want Jake Shields to investigate OneFC on why they hired the ugliest round girls in Asia.

Bm5khqcCcAASdnj.jpg
ONE9318_RING_GIRLS_00015.jpg

looks good to me. what kind of ridiculous standards do you have for girls that hold ring cards?

1. Silence of the Lambs
2. Seven
3. Zodiac

Also if you’re a fan of true crime the old FBI files show had lots of good SK episodes the one about the baker who was a serial killer in Alaska is one of my favorite
Speaking of Alaska and serial killers “Insomnia” is fantastic

Literally entered the thread to type in Memories of Murder.
I Saw the Devil is another good one, but quite different in approach.
Cure is a Japanese film y Kiyoshi Kurosawa that's amazing. It has an approach that differs a lot from the genre, but is very much worth watching.
The classic 1931 film M by Fritz Lang.

If you want to see the most satisfying ending to a serial killer hunter film check out Chuck Bronson's 10 to Midnight.

There are a lot of good classic noir films and some European stuff usually German krimi or Italian crime films that often have pseudo-giallo features, but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for. Cat O'Nine Tails is a good early 70's Italian crime film about searching for a murderer.
The '79 film When a Stranger Calls starts off and ends as horror but in the middle (the bulk of the film) is a detective/crime film.
The Exorcist 3 is essentially a detective/serial killer film.

Silence of the Lambs
Red Dragon (and Manhunter)
Zodiac
Citizen X
The Deliberate Stranger
Seven

I'd say those are the best of the best, off the top of my head.

When a Stranger Calls, if that counts.

The Pledge
Kiss The Girls
Cape Fear

Last edited:
Back