Best detective looking for serial killer movies

Jake Gyllenhaal is dreamy in ZODIAC but I think he's a newspaper guy.

I agree on all the Korean flicks mentioned . Korea makes some pretty excellent movies in this genre.

Prisoners was great.

And i would add 'Murder by Numbers'
It's starring Sandra Bullock às a detective..and i believe a young Ryan Gosling was in it as well. I haven't seen it in ages, but i remember liking it

I adore this sub-genre TS.

+Cape Fear
+Copycat
+The Exorcist III
+Insomnia
+To Live and Die In L.A.
Great call on Exorcist iii, have you seen Legion? Blatty's version of the film? If not its an even better serial killer movie, not so supernatural as 3, and no Damian Karras.

Couple of others
Jennifer 8
The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Summer of Sam
The Pledge
Pieces
Confessions of a Serial Killer
Cruising
A stack of Italian movies from the 70's

The Deliberate Stranger
Wow... Never heard anyone, anywhere mention this movie (tv show?) I saw this as a kid with my mother and I got fascinated by crime/serial killers. This fascination led to my reading literally everything about the subject and joining law enforcement :cool:

I like silence of the lambs kind of stuff.

People who say Zodiac...how?! I watched in theaters and fell asleep. I gave it a second chance a few days ago thinking, “I’m older. Maybe I was too hard on this movie.” Naw...that is not a good movie. That’s tough to say when the cast is so star-studded.

True Detective. :p @BisexualMMA @Zer

tumblr_nsqfr0jxSv1r745vdo1_500.gif

Sorry to go off topic but great shout out on kiyoshi Kurosawa he is a fantastic director I love watching his movies they are always unique big ups

He's one of my all time favorite directors, and Koji Yakusho became one of my favorite actors through his films. His use of a bit more muted and realistic color pallet and lighting, wide angle shots, and a lot of quiet scenes with no music really helps add to both the surreal nature and realistic feel of most of his films. I just wish we'd actually get more of his stuff on blu-ray. Tokyo Sonata, Cure, Journey to the Shore and Creepy have only come out in Europe (luckily I have a region free player), Pulse and Penance are his only films to have a U.S. release, and Real came out in France but with no English subtitles. That leaves a whole mess of his films un-released on the format.

I’ve seen this one posted on here before, but hadn’t really paid it any mind. I didn’t realize it was based on a true story. I’ll have to check it out. I think it’s on Amazon Prime.

I'll add Frailty and Fallen for the supernatural serial killers and The Bone Collector as well.

Frailty is really cool.

This made me think of ‘Changeling’ with Angelina Jolie. Very cool movie that was nothing like I thought it was going to be. Very well done imo

I believe it’s based on a true story too

Frailty is really cool.

This made me think of ‘Changeling’ with Angelina Jolie. Very cool movie that was nothing like I thought it was going to be. Very well done imo

I believe it’s based on a true story too
One of the best Bill Paxton roles.

Mindhunter on Netflix is good if you're into serial killer shows.

If you need a quick fix you can watch episodes of criminal minds.
Mindhunter is a Netflix show about early days of fbi vs serials.. a bit slow, but Fincher directs and should be taking more control over writing on season 2

Citizen-X.jpg

Based on Andrey Chikatilo, probably one of the worst persons to ever live.
You spend enough time with the lion, the idea of roaring starts to seem more and more reasonable

I like silence of the lambs kind of stuff.

People who say Zodiac...how?! I watched in theaters and fell asleep. I gave it a second chance a few days ago thinking, “I’m older. Maybe I was too hard on this movie.” Naw...that is not a good movie. That’s tough to say when the cast is so star-studded.

You know I didn't love Zodiac but I thought it was good. I kinda feel the same way about Silence of the Lambs as you do about Zodiac lol. I think it was a little dated by the time I watched it. I still enjoyed it but to me it wasn't this AMAZING film. I saw Hannibal as well and basically thought the same things. Still intend to try out the dragon one and Hannibal Rising as well as the TV show though as I also heard that was good.

+1 for copycat, wasn't expecting that. Scared the hell out of me as a child.

Copycat was always a good movie whenever I watched it although it has been years. I added Rampage with Michael Biehn to my list today, for some reason I had forgotten all about that movie yesterday.

Great call on Exorcist iii, have you seen Legion? Blatty's version of the film? If not its an even better serial killer movie, not so supernatural as 3, and no Damian Karras.

Couple of others
Jennifer 8
The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Summer of Sam
The Pledge
Pieces
Confessions of a Serial Killer
Cruising
A stack of Italian movies from the 70's

I have only seen the theatrical version of the Exorcist III. One thing I could never comprehend about the Exorcist trilogy was how the original (theatrical) and III were so good yet Heretic was well... Heretic

Last edited:
Back