Best Discipline For Self Defense?

ClearTwoClose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know this may not be the correct forum, but I wasn't sure where to post!

If you had virtually no training experience and were looking to prepare for a stint in prison, which art would you study?

I'm leaning more towards the "hand-to-hand combat systems", or "reality based systems" (i.e., Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, etc) as opposed to the "sport arts" (i.e., Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, etc.). Any suggestions?

Are you fucking kidding me?

Make a thread for every forum?

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu by a mile. If you're not convinced, then you haven't watched UFC 1-5.

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu by a mile. If you're not convinced, then you haven't watched UFC 1-5.

Not for a beginner. Practice is great and all, until someone is pulverizing your face with their hands. That's the one down fall to Jiu Jitsu. I remember when my friend first started and thought it was the shit. Sure it was, if he could get me on the ground and was fast enough to tie my hands up (was never successful). Other wise he was in a world of shit. Yes, it's a very effective form of fighting, but certainly not against multiple opponents. An unfair fight is pretty much the only fight that takes place in a jail.

Are you going to prison, or a jail?

There were no eye gouging, biting, attacks to the trachea allowed in any UFC's.

This is a joke...

I'm a huge BJJ fan and love doing it. But it is only useful in a street fight against one person, which is hardly ever the case.

You NEVER wanna go to the ground in a street fight bc as soon as you do, they guys buddy(s) are comin over to curb check you. If you plan on ground fighting, you better roll with a good group of guys that always have your back.

If you had virtually no training experience and were looking to prepare for a stint in prison, which art would you study?

I'm leaning more towards the "hand-to-hand combat systems", or "reality based systems" (i.e., Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, etc) as opposed to the "sport arts" (i.e., Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, etc.). Any suggestions?

You kinda answered your own question...it is best to learn multiple arts. Krav Maga and JKD are both MMAs. They incorporate many styles.

If you're asking which would be best to train for street defense, Krav Maga is great bc that is exactly what it is for. They will teach vital strikes, weapon defense, and defense against multiple attackers.

BJJ is not only a sport art as you say.....there are some BJJ instructors like myself that teach BJJ for street fighting not just for sport...

I also incorporate other forms of martial arts into my style of BJJ...such as Muay Thai and Boxing. My students learn Boxing first then progress into Muay Thai....I also offer a knife and stick class to my students to help deal with multiple opponents. This allows my guys to be well rounded fighters.

I can't see how dropping to your back and wrapping your legs around someone could help you in pri-

oh.

Krav Maga is best for street fighting. I'd also suggest whatever the hell they use in the Jason Bourne movies...Kali?

gracie jiu jitsu has some fight finishing moves from standing position we dont always have to go to the ground im not superman but ive had to go o the ground against multiple bad guys before and came out ok yeah i took some good shots but hey it was a fight but anyway id go with gracie jiu jitsu not sport jiu jitsu for prison life just because there are some big gorilla's in there ive trained muay thai for many years but i dont think that will help much if some big 6'8" 280 convict is trying to raid my booty btw im 5'7" 155pnds

I can't believe how many people took that BJJ comment seriously...

Street fights next to never go to the ground. The fight is over most of the time once it goes to the ground. BJJ is worthless.

Judo has the best real world application if you're gonna choose one martial art.

Back