Best Discipline For Self Defense?

BJJ is nowhere near the best self defense out there. The last place you want to be in a self defense situation is on the ground rolling with an attacker. All it takes is one of his buddies to run up and kick you in the head. Fight's over. You lose. BJJ loses it's effectiveness if there is more than one attacker. Of course, no matter what you've trained in if you're faced with more than one opponent you're going to have a hard time, but you'll have much better chances defending yourself on your feet than on the ground.

And many of the techniques in BJJ don't account for the fact that in many positions, your opponent could do any number of actions that are illegal in MMA or grappling competitions that would hinder your ability to get a submission, like eye gouges, groin shots, or pull a knife.

This.

Krav Maga.

In a street fight/prison scenario you can't rely on a sport focused art and fighting fair.
No one fights fair.

The hardest part of Krav Maga is finding a certified teacher + school.
Good Luck.

edit: Judo is a close 2nd. Learning to stabilize yourself and throw your opponent to the ground can do massive damage on concrete.

A combination of Boxing and Judo. Use speed with boxing to keep multiple strikers away but once somebody gets in, flip his ass onto concrete.

For prison, just stick to your race, and you should be fine.

As for street defense, I used to be big on eye gouges, throat strikes etc. But I altered my training back to punching and kicking for the simple fact if you punch someone, you're not really in trouble with the law. If you take his eye, or knife hand his throat, You're going to jail.

Thank you. I laughed my ass off at that.

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier in this thread but for No BS Self Defense, I would highly recommend Senshido by Richard Dimitri. I have a couple of his dvd's on Ebay and included a link on my site with his info. Check them out. Thanks.

Senshido International | martiallist.com

Oh man... everyone knows it's shank-jitsu in prison.

But seriously, if you want self-defense, boxing and judo.

Trying to defend yourself barehanded against an armed attacker or a group attack is always going to be a shitty, low % proposition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boxing + Judo throws + groin kicks + throat strikes

I would have to say Krav Maga or Close Quarters combat and possibly just kickboxing

I would say that the model for modern MMA fighting would be the best...Muay Thai for standup, Greco-Roman for takedowns and GNP, and BJJ for ground fighting/finishing...
I don't know a lot about Krav-Manga. From what I understand it is pretty nasty, but since I'm not an expert I can't speak on it.

alot of people will say mma isnt a style of its own but i think its fast becoming one.
and its easy nough to find mma clubs wich now just train mma rather than training bjj or sub grappling,and muay thai. if you've only got the time to attend a few classes a week then find somewhere that runs all aspects mma classes and train there yo'll be learning solid techniques that really work in a fight and learn how to deal in any situation.
if you can train every night then judo and boxing.

If you can call MMA a martial art (singular) than definitley it's the best. But I think the poster was thinking more along the lines of one martial art. So if I had to pick one to have in a street fight I'd probably go with MT.

Back