Best Discipline For Self Defense?

Krav Maga is decent for giving the average person a reasonable chance of surviving some common threats. Assuming, of course, you find a good instructor. The mainstream organizations seem to be certifying a lot of people who have little business teaching self defense, and seem to want to turn KM into the next Tae Bo.

Beyond that, the independent RBSD guys like Rich Dimitri, Mike Lee Kanarek, Tony Blauer et al have the most to offer.

If you can call MMA a martial art (singular) than definitley it's the best. But I think the poster was thinking more along the lines of one martial art. So if I had to pick one to have in a street fight I'd probably go with MT.

yes mma is not considered one style but it kind of has become one given that many places dont train wrestling,boxing,bjj,muay thai individually anymore but just train for mma taking the applicable parts from each art and having an all aspects mma class.
this is what my gym does and no you wont master any particular area but you will be well rounded and competent enugh in each to whip the crap out if the average drunken bum on the street.
if you cn train in a class like that thats what i'd do.

yes mma is not considered one style but it kind of has become one given that many places dont train wrestling,boxing,bjj,muay thai individually anymore but just train for mma taking the applicable parts from each art and having an all aspects mma class.
this is what my gym does and no you wont master any particular area but you will be well rounded and competent enugh in each to whip the crap out if the average drunken bum on the street.
if you cn train in a class like that thats what i'd do.

Yeah, honestly I think MMA is it's own martial art, it's knowing a little bit of everything as apposed to everything in one paticular dicipline eg., boxing, MT, wrestling,. My gym teaches BJJ, Sub wrestling and boxing as individual classes to be combined and used for MMA. I think well roundedness in MMA *and* a street fight are pretty important. You gotta be able to be atleast proficient in an area that you're not the best at.

I always tell people the same thing when training for self defense. It is a perishable skill. You can learn on technique and then expect to use is three months from now with out practicing. As for what tech ..

Take any of you favorite sport and do what is not legal in the sport.

ex

Baseball .. cant take the bat to first base = carry a weapon

football .. cant face mask = attack the face control the head

football .. cant hit the kickers supporting leg while he kicks ... = kick it every time

BJJ . cant neck crank or heal hook = you see where i am going with this?[/QUOTE

'Rulebreaking Martial Arts' FTW!

Boxing/Judo.

Using Krav maga here in Holland can mean YOU have to pay the person attacking you a fine because you used "unnecessary" force. Also causing permanent damage can rattle up a shitstorm.

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu by a mile. If you're not convinced, then you haven't watched UFC 1-5.

1. Are you kidding me, Dan Severn didn't have buddies waiting to stomp Royce's face in when it hit the ground, Self-defense means you prepare for the worst possible scenario, that means multiple attackers and weapons. Never go to the ground on purpose is a street fight.

2. If you think that Jiu-Jitsu is the best self defense martial art, you haven't watched ufc 5- 119. Hitting primary targets quickly and powerfully in more important that pulling guard and gettin stabbed.

BJJ for single opponent........Pekti Tirsia Kali for multiple opponents....the knife is the only means of suriving multiple opponents other than a gun.

Boxing + Judo is the absolute best street self-defense.

i'd say learn gracie combatives, from what i've read its street ready bjj

Gracie Combatives

Good for a single opponent. But as has been previously discussed, taking the fight to the ground is suicide in most street confrontations, since there is usually more than one attacker. To say nothing of the risk of grappling with someone who may be carrying a knife or other weapon.

Of course, if you are attacked by more than one person, it's going to be very difficult to defend yourself with any empty hand martial art.

how come no one mentioned track and field? run the hell away and hop over fences and walls. if i'm confronted by a bunch of pricks, i'm jamming.

if it's just one dude, i'm taking him to the ground and will submit him, but i will interpret any 'tapping' as further aggression on his end. :)

BJJ but you got to know that in Prison it don't matter what you know it matters what you use! Grab the closest thing you can that is sharp, heavy or just plain mean looking and start beating the F!@#$ out of your attacker! Hope you make it through yuor sentence!

Best for self defense has to be Gun fu. Made it up me self:)

Kajukenbo by a mile, it prepares you for multiple enemy combat that you would face in a prison like environment.

Bump:
Found it necessary to say, don't drop the soap.

Back