Best Gimmick Match

Blackjack

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
What do you think was the best gimmick match in pro wrestling? I'd say WarGames was probably the best gimmick match in wrestling. You had 8 guys inside two steel cages and that was after they first had one on one, then two on one and whoever won the coin toss got to have their second guy go in there before the other team's second guy got in there. When all 4 were in, then it was just no holds barred, anything goes and it was probably the toughest and fastest paced, most physically grueling match you could imagine.

What do you think was the best gimmick match in pro wrestling? I'd say WarGames was probably the best gimmick match in wrestling. You had 8 guys inside two steel cages and that was after they first had one on one, then two on one and whoever won the coin toss got to have their second guy go in there before the other team's second guy got in there. When all 4 were in, then it was just no holds barred, anything goes and it was probably the toughest and fastest paced, most physically grueling match you could imagine.

The classic King of The Ring tournament.

Terry Funk vs King Lawler empty arena match

Terry Funk vs King Lawler empty arena match
That was cool. I remember that Terry Funk got there first and he was telling Lance Russell who was doing commentary that Lawler wasn't gonna show up. Terry kept cussing about Lawler and Lance was trying to get Terry to stop, saying "We might want to be able to use this for television." It was pretty funny.

War Games was great because it combined strategy while giving the heels an easy advantage. That was wrecked by the NXT version which brought back the three team version where all psychology was lost.

Although War Games made the best matches the best gimmick was probably the ladder match. Not only did it revolutionize violence it allowed someone to win independent of their opponent (a fascinating concept on its own) while also radically disincentivized going for the win (because the risk for going early was a nasty fall).

I always loved the Hell in a Cell matches.

I loved the early Survivor Series when you had 5 tag team, 10 on 10 matches, and the entire ring apron was lined with guys.
download (2).jpeg

War Games was great because it combined strategy while giving the heels an easy advantage. That was wrecked by the NXT version which brought back the three team version where all psychology was lost.

Although War Games made the best matches the best gimmick was probably the ladder match. Not only did it revolutionize violence it allowed someone to win independent of their opponent (a fascinating concept on its own) while also radically disincentivized going for the win (because the risk for going early was a nasty fall).
When did the War Games have 3 teams before NXT?

When did the War Games have 3 teams before NXT?
The final War Games in WCW (in 1998) used the three person, three team system for the first time. It was WCW (DDP, Rowdy Roddy, Ultimate Warrior) vs nWo White (Hogan, Bret, Stevie Ray) vs Wolf Pack (Nash, Sting, Luger) at Fall Brawl 98. This match famously had a trap door for the Warrior that injured the British Bulldog in the opening match that probably shortened his life considerably.

The final War Games in WCW (in 1998) used the three person, three team system for the first time. It was WCW (DDP, Rowdy Roddy, Ultimate Warrior) vs nWo White (Hogan, Bret, Stevie Ray) vs Wolf Pack (Nash, Sting, Luger) at Fall Brawl 98. This match famously had a trap door for the Warrior that injured the British Bulldog in the opening match that probably shortened his life considerably.
I remember the trap door stuff but I didnt remember War Games, I was running hard and heavy during that time so I guess I missed it

Exploding double hell swimming pool match..
Fmw ftw..

I bet the fans in the arena were pissed at that one
I didnt pay top dollar to stare at Jim Neidharts pink ass all night long
True but they never book for the live audience and it looks cool as hell on TV.

If this thread were specifically about one on one matches, I'd say the "I Quit" Match is the best one I've ever seen. There haven't been a lot of them since the winner and loser are separated so distinctly that there is no gray area between the two as pro wrestling tends to have.

I've only seen two of these matches but the two I've seen were tremendous. There was the "I Quit" match between Tully Blanchard and Magnum T.A. and the one between Terry Funk and Ric Flair. The matches were brutal, bloody, realistic looking, and full of energy and excitement. I remember Gordon Solie who was doing commentary for the Funk - Flair match saying "Tonight we will see one dynasty come to an end." I was young at the time and it didn't seem to be an exaggeration.

Magnum-Tully I Quit Cage Match is the greatest match of all time
A perfect symphony of beautiful violence

Reverse Battle Royal

anything on a pole

turkeyhunt2.gif

Magnum-Tully I Quit Cage Match is the greatest match of all time
A perfect symphony of beautiful violence

A thoroughly satisfying conclusion to an incredibly intense feud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back