Best Grappling Dummy for Submission and BJJ?

bjjmonsters

White Belt
Reaction score
What is the best grappling dummy available for submission and bjj training? I know there is no substitute for a live coaching partner, however for those times i do not have a partner and wish to train submission technique and ground work how helpful would a grappling dummy be? And which bjj dummy would be the closest to a live person?

I have read this forum thread and few websites: this grappling dummy buying guide, submission master review and this website, but still can't decide which one to buy.

UPDATE: After a lot of reading - Submission Master looks most promising - check out their website.

Last edited:
I cant be bothered typing my experience again so i'm linking one of my other posts on the topic!

In short make one, use it for 6 months then decide if you still wanna get one. Honestly they are worth a lot of money for one that is slightly realistic, you don't want to drop all that cash to find out you barely use it down the line. How long have you been grappling?

Read this, it describes my experience better
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/96025331-post7.html

My opinion is your time would be better spent doing various drills by yourself. Stuff like getting to your knees correctly from side control, hip movement, rotation drills etc.

In for this thread. I was wondering about the same thing.

We have one at my gym that was donated by a guy who never used it.

It sits in the corner, I occasionally drag it out if I get to class early but then get bored with it within about 5 mins.
Never seen anyone else using it.

We have one at my gym that was donated by a guy who never used it.

It sits in the corner, I occasionally drag it out if I get to class early but then get bored with it within about 5 mins.
Never seen anyone else using it.

This is why I would recommend making one and using it for 6 months.

I think the dummy plays in to the beginner trap. You start off rolling and your getting smoked, your mind is trying to process 10,000 things per minute and you think that if your technique was better you would be quicker and better. You think "I only drilled that arm bar 10 times in class today, If I drilled it 1000 times I would be awesome." Until you realize being good at techniques only works to a certain level and stuff like timing, sensitivity, awareness and concepts can't be drilled on a dummy, then you lose interest.

This is why I would recommend making one and using it for 6 months.

I think the dummy plays in to the beginner trap. You start off rolling and your getting smoked, your mind is trying to process 10,000 things per minute and you think that if your technique was better you would be quicker and better. You think "I only drilled that arm bar 10 times in class today, If I drilled it 1000 times I would be awesome." Until you realize being good at techniques only works to a certain level and stuff like timing, sensitivity, awareness and concepts can't be drilled on a dummy, then you lose interest.

I was going to quote your comment and just say "this" but thought my personal experience may be more useful.

$600 for a grappling dummy, or $600 worth of privates

I know where I think I would get better value.

They are only good for practicing ground and pound on.

They are only good for practicing ground and pound on.

There are some things they are useful for, it can be good to get in some extra drilling to feel out a technique or series more before you try it live.

The question is, is that worth upwards of $500?

Edit: Oh and there was a few times when I was injured that it helped maintain stuff and stopped me going insane.

Last edited:
$600 for a grappling dummy, or $600 worth of privates

I know where I think I would get better value.

Well said. I wasn't quite convinced that I agreed with you until you stated this. It is a very compelling argument that is really hard to dispute... Also agree with comments that unless you are 100% committed to working hard on all aspects with the grapplng dummy, it will end up in a corner as you inevitably move on to other facets of your martial arts training if not in life itself.

They are cool but too damn expensive for what they are.

if they were like 200 bucks, Id buy one.

I built one, although it was pretty lame. I ended up just using to to train transitions on top. Then I threw it away. Trying to replicate working limbs is pretty hopeless.

For what i used it for I now do on a heavy bag or body pillow. Training moving for spinning armbars, S mount, knee on belly, NS.

A heavy bag can be obtained a lot cheaper than a grappling dummy.

I built my own grappling dummy 4 or 5 months ago. I still use it every week. They are kind of expensive to buy so I watched several videos on youtube, took the ideas I liked and added some of my own. It ended up costing me about $100 in all because I bought a couple of rolls of gorilla glue tape to be the final skin on it, it's much stronger than regular duct tape (which I also have on the dummy, under the GG tape). It's a great training tool as long as you are dedicated, if you are lazy and not self motivated, like a lot of people on here seem to be, it will sit in a corner like they said.

I'll take an hour a day and just drill some different escapes and submissions on it. Beats wasting an hour on here.

I built one, although it was pretty lame. I ended up just using to to train transitions on top. Then I threw it away. Trying to replicate working limbs is pretty hopeless.

For what i used it for I now do on a heavy bag or body pillow. Training moving for spinning armbars, S mount, knee on belly, NS.

A heavy bag can be obtained a lot cheaper than a grappling dummy.

Actually, it's not too hard. Use some PVC pipe to be the skeleton and run a bunch of coat hangers through the joints. There are some youtube videos showing how to do it. I can do Kimuras, Americanas, chokes, leg locks, etc on mine. It's held up great for 4 or 5 months now. I even had an old gi laying around I put on it to work gi chokes and what not.

I have 4 commercial dummies. I believe in the use of dummies and similar.
They each have their pros and cons.
☆2 Suples - good for ballistic throws and gnp
☆1 CXT - good for certain movements, most versatile, gnp, chaining, most versatile
☆1 Motion Master - good for floating, gnp, chaining

I used to have the Combat Sports life sized one, but I think that one is the least useful.

What is the best grappling dummy available for submission and bjj training? I know there is no substitute for a live coaching partner, however for those times i do not have a partner and wish to train submission technique and ground work how helpful would a grappling dummy be? And which bjj dummy would be the closest to a live person?

I have done my research and these guys make it in the United States of America.
check out their website: http://proboxingequipment.com/PROMAN-Grappling-Dummy-Submission-Adult_p_13.html

PROBoxingEquipment.com, the original manufacturer of the PROMAN Grappling Dummy. Here at PRO Boxing Equipment, we make the top of the line grappling dummies for gyms, retailers, and distributors all over the world! The most superior grapple dummy in the world that others try to imitate, like a parrot, they don't know any better, it may appear and feel like the original, but it is nothing compared to PRO Boxing Equipment workmanship and stitching. The PROMAN Grappling Dummy is the most innovative and most genuine piece of equipment you could ever want! Other companies encourage you to apply Shoe Goo on the crotch area of an $800 dummy to prevent the crotch area from tearing, ask yourself this one question Would you spend nearly $1000 on a grappling dummy to apply Shoe Goo to make it complete? Here at PRO Boxing Equipment we encourage you to stretch the legs to the fullest and guaranteeing that none of the stitching will pop out so that you won't depend on Shoe Goo like other imitating companies. Maximize your training to the next level, without any hesitation that you would have on a fellow friend or spar mate. The PROMAN Grappling Dummy is made of 1000 Denier Cordura (an extremely strong rip-stop material that is impossible to tear through normal usage with the exception of sharp objects.) This BJJ (Brazilian Jiujutsu dummy) is quadruple stitched to perfection. Not only is this dummy made in the USA but all the raw materials from the thread to the Cordura material is U.S. grade. Quadruple stitched along all stress seams. The limbs have 'life-like' resistance for arm and leg lock training. The approximate height of the PROMAN Grappling Dummy is about 6 Ft and it weights approximately 75 lbs. Manufactured entirely in the USA, hand inspected and guaranteed against defective materials. No need to go through a middleman and pay more. Maximize your savings! Buy the PROMAN Grappling Dummy and all the rest of PRO Gear directly from the manufacturer. Get your grapple dummy now! Order online or give us a call to place your order! ***Lifetime warranty on stitching! PROMAN IS WINNING!

I am willing to give you a full review of your product. In comparison to the the others.

In about 100 - 200 years from now I'm pretty sure technology will develop a cyborg. It will grapple like a maniac. I'm also sure it will cost cheaper than the grappling dummy costs now. We just need to wait for some time to replace our PVC grappling dummies. Patience, my brothers, patience...

I have done my research and these guys make it in the United States of America.
check out their website: http://proboxingequipment.com/PROMAN-Grappling-Dummy-Submission-Adult_p_13.html

I'm pretty sure this is the Submission master. I have a Submission master and it has these logos on it.

I received very poor customer service from the Submission master company. It took like 6 weeks for them to get it to me and they hit my card at the initial order. When I emailed them about going over the guaranteed delivery time they acted like they were doing me a favor selling it in the first place. I'd guess they just take payment then order from these guys.

I have gotten good use out of my grappling dummy. I do mostly passing drills with it. Guard work doesn't work so great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back