Best mma gym for amateur fighters en USA

Rodolfo Herrera

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi, I am from Mexico city and I am planning to train in the USA for a while, I have 2 years experience in bjj and 1 year in muay thai, my bjj is pretty solid but I wanna know wich is the best mma gym for amateurs fighters, I have been reaserching and ATT and Jackson MMA looked pretty solid, what do you think or are better options?

Revolution dojo's pretty good. Teammate of mine competed against them and they were tough cats from what I've seen.

I've heard good things about The Cellar

I don't have any suggestions other than I'd be cautious of big name famous gyms. I've heard some of them focus heavily on their pro fighter prospects or successes and the rest of the guys get just regular ol' MMA training from random coaches for too much money. It's probably at least worth researching, maybe you can talk to some guys that train there.

AMC in Seattle would be my first choice for an amateur learning the correct way to train and learn techniques

Last edited:
Gracie Barra in Portland, OR. Come on down and train with them and you can work your boxing with me and mine at the gym i work/train at

It's very hard to say. Reason being those big name gyms have tons of sparring partners but your a big fish in a little pond. It's very hard to get individual attention which is part of the reason why these guys are so fundamentally flawed.

Smaller gyms might be better starting out unless your getting tons of private lessons at the big gym. Just to give you an example, i train at a smaller gym but get basically a semi private every morning session since usually the class is tops 5 people total. I crosstrain at the big mma gym in my city that has a handful of legacy/ufc fighters and there striking really isn't much better than mine yet they've been professional anywhere from 5-7 years....... (they lack alot of fundamental and try to get by on athletic ability to compensate).

Thats the big disadvantage, they don't get as much one on one coaching since there coach is almost always in a fight camp with someone.

Gracie Barra in Portland, OR. Come on down and train with them and you can work your boxing with me and mine at the gym i work/train at

have you been to team quest? iv always wanted to go there given has matt lindland greco god there

is chael not training there full time anymore?

have you been to team quest? iv always wanted to go there given has matt lindland greco god there

is chael not training there full time anymore?
lindland is still our at quest but their team doesn’t have the bodies it used too. Chael and the rest of the big names are at Gracie Barra. Team impact has a handful of up and coming pros too

lindland is still our at quest but their team doesn’t have the bodies it used too. Chael and the rest of the big names are at Gracie Barra. Team impact has a handful of up and coming pros too

yeah havent heard much of team quest in past 6 years really but find ti strange theyd all go to a random gracie barra gym what about sbg there?

yeah havent heard much of team quest in past 6 years really but find ti strange theyd all go to a random gracie barra gym what about sbg there?
There’s a group of guys who have been Gym hoping together for years. They all landed at Gracie Barra and it’s seem to have stuck and the gym Blew up from there. Fabiano scherner is their mma and jits coach, Steve forbes is their boxing coach, Ian Loveland is the striking coach, and I assume Chael runs the wrestling program. It’s a whole lot high level coaching and a lot of bodies to work with.

Edit: sbg has a few amateur fighters but its pretty expensive from what I remember when I checked it out years back.

There’s a group of guys who have been Gym hoping together for years. They all landed at Gracie Barra and it’s seem to have stuck and the gym Blew up from there. Fabiano scherner is their mma and jits coach, Steve forbes is their boxing coach, Ian Loveland is the striking coach, and I assume Chael runs the wrestling program. It’s a whole lot high level coaching and a lot of bodies to work with.

Edit: sbg has a few amateur fighters but its pretty expensive from what I remember when I checked it out years back.

is chael cool about training with random pros who come by and visit?

Hi, I am from Mexico city and I am planning to train in the USA for a while, I have 2 years experience in bjj and 1 year in muay thai, my bjj is pretty solid but I wanna know wich is the best mma gym for amateurs fighters, I have been reaserching and ATT and Jackson MMA looked pretty solid, what do you think or are better options?
Team Alpha Male, they have a good variety of Amateurs and it's a well known world class gym. also mentioned above would be AMC Kickboxing and Pankration ran by the Wizard, Matt Hume. Matt's style is taking a fighter with little to no experience and molding them into one of the most well rounded, technical fighters in the world. I would've trained there a long time ago, but the cost to live in Kirkland is just too high... but anyway, there's plenty of gyms to choose from in the United States. I for one, would NOT recommend JacksonWink as I think that gym is highly overrated. I've never understood why so many people want to go to JacksonWink, when you can go to places like AMC, ATT, AKA, TAM, Kings, etc. and get WAY better teaching.

Last edited:
no need togo to any of those top pro gyms unless your a purple belt with good takedowns nd striking or youll waste there and your time being there will be a massive skill difference just find a typical gym that has least a brown belt coach and a good mma team people always think they need the best gym t train at when they arnt top level

once u can destroy everyone u train with even at those types of gyms and your record shows it as well then u should make a move to a top place

is chael cool about training with random pros who come by and visit?
i think so. The pro team practices seperately from the amateur team and everyone is always looking for a different look, big name guys aren’t any different

How many fights have you had?
If you go to a big team like ATT or Jackson’s, as a white/blue belt with no fights, you’ll be in beginner classes with whatever coaches they have there. Chances are you will not be with the high end coaches/fighters. You might be better at a smaller gym that have time to work with potential fighters.
Lauzon MMA, Miller brothers MMA, Team Curran, Gabriel Gonzaga’s gym.

If you have 2years of Bjj, And 1 striking, unless your a absolute monster, chances are You probably wouldn’t even make it to the fight teams in any of the big gyms yet.

I'll throw Millennia MMA in the mix. I used to fight for them, their muay thai program isnt what it was once my coach left but for MMA, they are one of the top gyms in socal for sure. They have a ton of amatuer MMA fighters and a handful of pros that are fighting UFC, bellator, etc etc.

Training at Millennia for the amatuer and pros consists of alot of sparring.

If your interested in training there you can contact the head coach directly through facebook. He is a very cool easy going down to earth guy.

How many fights have you had?
If you go to a big team like ATT or Jackson’s, as a white/blue belt with no fights, you’ll be in beginner classes with whatever coaches they have there. Chances are you will not be with the high end coaches/fighters. You might be better at a smaller gym that have time to work with potential fighters.
Lauzon MMA, Miller brothers MMA, Team Curran, Gabriel Gonzaga’s gym.

If you have 2years of Bjj, And 1 striking, unless your a absolute monster, chances are You probably wouldn’t even make it to the fight teams in any of the big gyms yet.

this.. rank really matters at gyms even being a brown isnt good enough for certain places especially in todays game

unless you are a very good pro who has ufc potential to make it far no need to go to a top gym
finding a smaller gym and getting quality sparring and technique will prob almost be better cause at bigger gyms as stated your not gonna get much attention

theres tons of good smaller mma gyms around almost every state has at least 1

I'll throw Millennia MMA in the mix. I used to fight for them, their muay thai program isnt what it was once my coach left but for MMA, they are one of the top gyms in socal for sure. They have a ton of amatuer MMA fighters and a handful of pros that are fighting UFC, bellator, etc etc.

Training at Millennia for the amatuer and pros consists of alot of sparring.

If your interested in training there you can contact the head coach directly through facebook. He is a very cool easy going down to earth guy.
I looked them up, and even that gym might be too high end. They have a lot of serious pro’s there.

I looked them up, and even that gym might be too high end. They have a lot of serious pro’s there.

I dont understand what you mean by "high end".

If you mean its too high skill level that if your not pro etc you shouldnt go, thats not true at all.

Millennia is just like every other MMA gym out there, meaning they offer cardio, kids, womens, beginner classes, etc etc.....the standard stuff you will find at any gym.

The only difference is if you want to compete and take it to a higher level, both amatuer or pro, you can do it there. When I used to fight for them......I had quite a few "gym friends" that were just local guys that wanted to have a few ammy fights and then stopped.

Pro practice is during the day at around 12-1, its mainly sparring, its open to amatuer fighters as well.

Regular class is daily, the pros will be in the regular class a good amount of the time as well.

If I was a MMA fighter, and since im in the IE, I would be at millennia for sure.

Back