best mma striking coach

To answer the original question, probably Cordeiro based on track record or Zahabi for his Sagat Muay Thai lineage.

I also want to chime in that Kirian is easily the most accessible high level coach in all of the Bay Area. I've trained at AKA and Fairtex in their prime. Both gyms used their fighters to run classes. Kirian and Kevin Ross teach recreationals at every level and even incorporate pros into the classes. I got completely dismantled by Eddie Absolo years ago and it was a great experience tbh. Not really sure what the underhanded comment was about, but its a bit of a low blow.

Last edited:
To answer the original question, probably Cordero based on track record or Zahabi for his Sagat Muay Thai lineage.

I also want to chime in that Kirian is easily the most accessible high level coach in all of the Bay Area. I've trained at AKA and Fairtex in their prime. Both gyms used their fighters to run classes. Kirian and Kevin Ross teach recreationals at every level and even incorporate them into the classes. I got completely dismantled by Eddie Absolo years ago and it was a great experience tbh. Not really sure what the underhanded comment was about, but its a bit of a low blow.

Kevin Ross was already a good fighter when he was with Toddy.

You do know a lot of the CSA fighters aren't "home grown." Kirian is famously known to steal fighters from other gyms. He talk shit about other gyms' coaches, and just somehow able to get other gyms' fighters to ditch their coaches and gym to join CSA. All there is to CSA is a big fancy state of the art facility that attracts fighters from other gyms to train there.

And if there's any gyms in the Bay Area that is hosting a smoker event at their gym, it's well known that CSA will snitch and inform the California State Athletics Commission, hoping they didn't follow proper procedures so the event gets shut down. What a fucking hater. LOL.
you can’t steal fighters, they’re not property. If you open up a good facility and run a solid program that attracts fighters then you’re doing something right. Why would fighters leave their coaches to go somewhere worse? Why would they take the word of someone else over their own personal and first hand experiences with their coaches? What you’re saying makes no sense. CSA shuts down other events? Again, not logical. Makes more sense to go and compete there with their ammy team. It’s notoriously hard to get amateur experience as a Muay Thai fighter in the United States.

Tristar is a good gym if you are a grappler, but in my opinion their striking training is not that good relative to other 'big names'; guys from there are distinctively timid and hesitant to pull the trigger in neutral, even if they are otherwise talented strikers in their own right, like Joe Duffy (who's corner advice from Zahabi in the Vick fight was simply terrible, resulting in a visibly worse second round compared to the first as he followed the directions, ultimately leading to getting tko'ed).

I wanna throw Mike Brown's name into the mix for consideration, his work with many different fighters out of ATT is very impressive (such as Lawler, Woodley, or Horriguchi for example).

Last edited:
you can’t steal fighters, they’re not property. If you open up a good facility and run a solid program that attracts fighters then you’re doing something right. Why would fighters leave their coaches to go somewhere worse? Why would they take the word of someone else over their own personal and first hand experiences with their coaches? What you’re saying makes no sense. CSA shuts down other events? Again, not logical. Makes more sense to go and compete there with their ammy team. It’s notoriously hard to get amateur experience as a Muay Thai fighter in the United States.

When you unethnically go up to other fighters, talk shit about their coaches and gym, and then tell them to come to your gym cause you got the more fancy state of the art facility, lots of good fighters training there, blah blah blah, etc. If that's not stealing fighters from other gym, then what do you call that? Unethical recruiting? Shameless recruiting?

And either you're not reading correctly, or you purposely playing dumb. When did I ever say CSA shuts down other gym's smoker fight events? I said CSA will snitch and rat out other gyms' smoker events by informing the California State Athletic Commission. They'll inform them and say this gym or that gym is hosting a fight event, make sure they're following proper procedures, paying the proper fees, if they're not, you guys as the State Athletic Commission should shut down their event and fine them money. See, on the California State Athletic Commission website, you can see it here. Report illegal events "smokers." http://www.dca.ca.gov/csac/

This isn't anything new about CSA. Every single gym in the San Francisco Bay Area knows this about CSA. They're haters, they rat out other gyms to the State Athletic Commission whenever they see on social media about which other gyms are hosting fight events, and of course they're hoping every gym around them shuts down so they can be the only gym in their area. Straight up hater.

Last edited:
Tristar is a good gym if you are a grappler, but in my opinion their striking training is not that good relative to other 'big names'; guys from there are distinctively timid and hesitant to pull the trigger in neutral, even if they are otherwise talented strikers in their own right, like Joe Duffy (who's corner advice from Zahabi in the Vick fight was simply terrible, resulting in a visibly worse second round compared to the first as he followed the directions, ultimately leading to getting tko'ed).

I wanna throw Mike Brown's name into the mix for consideration, his work with many different fighters out of ATT is very impressive (such as Lawler, Woodley, or Horriguchi for example).
Don't really have an opinion on the Tristar thing but as for Horiguchi i know he does a lot of work with a boxing coach down at ATT who's guys seem to do very well

I guess it depends where the prospective student is located or willing to travel to. Because you said
"the best coach for a mma guy with a boxing base whos good with hands"
Id probably say go with a guy who can wrestle and improve/build upon your striking. A few guys come to mind.
-Cung Le is a high level wrestler and striker with a ton of coaching experience and I believe he has a few gyms in California.
-John Hackleman can teach both.
-Jens Pulver seems to be easing his way into coaching. He brought Raufeon Stotts on to the scene. Jens was a fantastic striker and a very good wrestler.
-Glover Texiera is coaching in Connecticut I think. Hes got striking, wrestling, and bjj experience.

When you unethnically go up to other fighters, talk shit about their coaches and gym, and then tell them to come to your gym cause you got the more fancy state of the art facility, lots of good fighters training there, blah blah blah, etc. If that's not stealing fighters from other gym, then what do you call that? Unethical recruiting? Shameless recruiting?

And either you're not reading correctly, or you purposely playing dumb. When did I ever say CSA shuts down other gym's smoker fight events? I said CSA will snitch and rat out other gyms' smoker events by informing the California State Athletic Commission. They'll inform them and say this gym or that gym is hosting a fight event, make sure they're following proper procedures, paying the proper fees, if they're not, you guys as the State Athletic Commission should shut down their event and fine them money. See, on the California State Athletic Commission website, you can see it here. Report illegal events "smokers." http://www.dca.ca.gov/csac/

This isn't anything new about CSA. Every single gym in the San Francisco Bay Area knows this about CSA. They're haters, they rat out other gyms to the State Athletic Commission whenever they see on social media about which other gyms are hosting fight events, and of course they're hoping every gym around them shuts down so they can be the only gym in their area. Straight up hater.
youre just restating your points and not addressing mine. You’re salty and that’s ok, bud.

youre just restating your points and not addressing mine. You’re salty and that’s ok, bud.
LOL! That's what I thought. You're playing dumb. You sound like a teenage drama queen. Pointless to even reason with some drama queen dork like you. Later son.

I guess it depends where the prospective student is located or willing to travel to. Because you said
"the best coach for a mma guy with a boxing base whos good with hands"
Id probably say go with a guy who can wrestle and improve/build upon your striking. A few guys come to mind.
-Cung Le is a high level wrestler and striker with a ton of coaching experience and I believe he has a few gyms in California.
-John Hackleman can teach both.
-Jens Pulver seems to be easing his way into coaching. He brought Raufeon Stotts on to the scene. Jens was a fantastic striker and a very good wrestler.
-Glover Texiera is coaching in Connecticut I think. Hes got striking, wrestling, and bjj experience.

i have good boxing and wreslting boxing was my base i was just curious what the majority of people though who was the best i like duane but he throws way to many kicks for my likings i dont kick much out of fear of being shot on

LOL! That's what I thought. You're playing dumb. You sound like a teenage drama queen. Pointless to even reason with some drama queen dork like you. Later son.
yeah because I’m the one perpetuating unsubstantiated rumors and claiming fighters are being stolen away like junior high girlfriends.

Back