best mount game

i was told phil and his brother left relsons is phile teaching there now or a student cause i know he had a massive school in philly
No its a Balance affiliate, Phil & Rick are still under Relson and based in Philly.

There was a list going around a few years ago on Facebook of Irish Black Belts I think Darragh O'Connaill actually started, it was up around 50+ at that stage so i'm not sure how big the number would be but it may be easily double that by now or a lot higher.

That point kind of applies everywhere outside all but the top bjj gyms in the world though :)

In terms of depth it may be a little hard to understand if you're not familiar with how small Ireland is but even Dublin to Cork is about a 2-3 hours drive. Anyone from any city can go visit another gym around the country relatively easily compared to how spread out things would be even in a single state over there. Dublin would still have the largest concentration of clubs but i'd guess more of the growth in the number of gyms the last 10 years has been in other parts of the country through a mix of home grown and foreign coaches.
  1. Don’t get pedantic lol
  2. Fair enough
  3. Go get me a pint, I’m tired from work

;)

1. Don’t get pedantic lol
  2. Fair enough
  3. Go get me a pint, I’m tired from work

;)
Stick up some good videos on ankle picks from collar ties and i'll happily buy you a pint whenever you visit Ireland.

Stick up some good videos on ankle picks from collar ties and i'll happily buy you a pint whenever you visit Ireland.
Why ankle picks? Over over things, just curious. It’s not my strongest technique. So there’s other things I can film and do much better on.

And that’s more than fair

Why ankle picks? Over over things, just curious. It’s not my strongest technique. So there’s other things I can film and do much better on.

And that’s more than fair
It was one of my favourite gi takedowns for a few years but i've always been rubbish at them nogi for some reason is all :-(

It was one of my favourite gi takedowns for a few years but i've always been rubbish at them nogi for some reason is all :-(
When I get a chance I’ll try to film something and show the positions I do get them from

My go to no gi take down is uchi mata to ankle pick.

No its a Balance affiliate, Phil & Rick are still under Relson and based in Philly.

There was a list going around a few years ago on Facebook of Irish Black Belts I think Darragh O'Connaill actually started, it was up around 50+ at that stage so i'm not sure how big the number would be but it may be easily double that by now or a lot higher.

yeah tis crazy how many people are blacks now
thats a decent one i only like ankle picks if im controlling the head i also dont really like doing them without shoes thought sweaty feat are hard to get at times

I do uchi mata to kouchi where you block their foot and drive rather than reap nogi. For some reason that feels way more natural than the ankle pick finish there, maybe because i use that version of kouchi a lot in the gi.

The amazing Dave Taylor ankle pick video one of the guys here did last year is what made me want to revisit that direct ankle pick nogi again as i gave up on it years ago. Still not really clicking though which is why i figured i'd chance my arm and ask Jack36767.

Anyway, not to hijack the thread...

Roger Gracie clearly has the best mount ever!!!! :)

our other discussion aside, Conor does not have good wrestling because he chooses not to. He both has the money, name, and time to go to, or bring in the people who could train him to get it better. And has had years to do so. He’s also an “athlete” so that excuse is a no go. My honest opinion of Conor is that he doesn’t do that because he’s a bully when he fights and trains, which isn’t a bad thing in the context of fighting; at all. It’s simply the type of fighter he is

but Conor doesn’t strike me as the type dealing with getting rag dolled and physically controlled and not being the one doing the bullying he’s have to deal with to actually get good at wrestling. GSP and Maia were willing to, deal with that and their performances reflected it.
You have to realize. Conor was Born and raised in Ireland and did not get rich untill he was about 27 years old. This means because Ireland has no wrestling or BJJ from when he trained there he focused on striking and could never have been a good wrestler. He could not afford to go train around the world like he could now. Even so it takes years to develop those aspects. Maia was surrounded by high level bjj from when he began.

Last edited:
I'm not insulted, you just sound like you don't actually know all that much about the current state of BJJ in Ireland which is puzzling me given how dismissive your are of it. How long is it since you trained here or maybe you didn't have much chance to travel or train beyond your own clubs back then?

There are a large amount of Brazilian black belts here compared to several years ago, a massive amount of Irish ones compared to 10+ years ago and very few established clubs would not have one or more Black Belt coaches in recent years. Huge amount of those Irish guys travel regularly to places like Marcelo's, Renzo's or other top American gyms too and have for years.

Outside Dublin there are good gyms in Cork, Kerry, Galway, Limerick, Donegal and other places all run by well known Black Belt coaches with decent competition records. There are also the likes of Team Torres, Gracie Barra, Next Generation and SBG up North if you want to include those too.

Yes I've been to Marcelo's and other gyms in the States, on the whole the standard of Blue Belts isn't hugely different anywhere unless you're talking about the kids arguably sandbagging at the highest level. I'm a brown belt and my lineage is under Relson like Tekenfan if you're wondering.

I was in Clare/Dublin few months ago i go to Ireland regularly. I know that MMA and BJJ have exploded there and grown but just like wrestling it will takes a longer time for it to grow more and more compared to places you can find in California or NYC, Brazil etc. Yea there are more and more blacks. I was not trying to insult the level but i was putting it side by side with the best of the best and it pales. That is why alot of guys travel right here to Marcelos,renzo and unity for that reason. Irelands wrestling is def even lower than its BJJ and it will remain that way due to School system not having any wreslting in it. A relson brown like Tek?. i must ask tekken about that he knows Relson well.

Anyways Ireland is def improving alot but still has a ways to go overall.

I was in Clare/Dublin few months ago i go to Ireland regularly. I know that MMA and BJJ have exploded there and grown but just like wrestling it will takes a longer time for it to grow more and more compared to places you can find in California or NYC, Brazil etc. Yea there are more and more blacks. I was not trying to insult the level but i was putting it side by side with the best of the best and it pales. That is why alot of guys travel right here to Marcelos,renzo and unity for that reason. Irelands wrestling is def even lower than its BJJ and it will remain that way due to School system not having any wreslting in it. A relson brown like Tek?. i must ask tekken about that he knows Relson well.

Anyways Ireland is def improving alot but still has a ways to go overall.

hes not under relson hes under a guy who trained with Phil Migliarese whos a relson black belt

You have to realize. Conor was Born and raised in Ireland and did not get rich untill he was about 27 years old. This means because Ireland has no wrestling or BJJ from when he trained there he focused on striking and could never have been a good wrestler. He could not afford to go train around the world like he could now. Even so it takes years to develop those aspects. Maia was surrounded by high level bjj from when he began.
That’s the most paper thin excuse. Every single pro fighter in their physical prime who’s decided to be humble and actually try to learn another art has dramatically improved. There are countless strikers and grapplers who had no experience in the opposite art and found ways to both dramatically improve and blend it into their game.

Again I’m not dissing it’s an observation. But nothing I’ve seen about Conor has made believe that he could actually handle being beaten by people like Cody Garbrandt , or TJ Dilliashaw being able to beat and even manhandle him in wrestling long enough to truly get better. Much less someone like Hendricks or Askren he’s knows for a fact he could out strike.. toying with him in wrestling like a black belt playing with the fresh new 33 year old hobbyist white belt

That’s the most paper thin excuse. Every single pro fighter in their physical prime who’s decided to be humble and actually try to learn another art has dramatically improved. There are countless strikers and grapplers who had no experience in the opposite art and found ways to both dramatically improve and blend it into their game.

Again I’m not dissing it’s an observation. But nothing I’ve seen about Conor has made believe that he could actually handle being beaten by people like Cody Garbrandt , or TJ Dilliashaw being able to beat and even manhandle him in wrestling long enough to truly get better. Much less someone like Hendricks or Askren he’s knows for a fact he could out strike.. toying with him in wrestling like a black belt playing with the fresh new 33 year old hobbyist white belt

Idk he's competed in BJJ competitions and lost.

Seems like a pretty humble thing to do as a semi-famous (at the time) MMA fighter.

Seems like a pretty humble thing to do as a semi-famous (at the time) MMA fighter.

but that was like 2012 and in europe wasnt many good purples in europe back n 2012 he felt he could use his strength ect to get by watch the matches he never really tries to attack he just plays defense its quite easy to go to a tournament under ibjjf rules and stall if u can control the takedown and you are the superior athlete u can pull off a win

Entering a Bjj tournament that’s over with in a day is different than getting beat in practice every day

Back