Best Mouthguard Brand 2018

Woldog

SherGOAT
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
What is the current champion of Boil and Bite mouthguards for boxing/muaythai/mma?
I'm in the market for a new one after my dog tested out my dentist made one and destroyed it, can't be bothered to get a new one made so I'd rather just buy a boil and bite one to use while I'm not actually fighting.

I have a custom one, its not made by dentist but mail order, they send some stuff you mix together bite it and send it back any such thing in North Korea ;-). Mine was only a little more expensive than boil and bite. The boil and bite I could never get a tight fit.

I went to the detist. Custom made. Never get the right fight dropping it in hot water (my wife had more success which was the family fun for couple of days). 100 euro.

I went to the detist. Custom made. Never get the right fight dropping it in hot water (my wife had more success which was the family fun for couple of days). 100 euro.

I did say I couldn't be bothered going back to the dentist for another one.

Shock Doctor makes very good mouthguards and they're not so expensive

I did say I couldn't be bothered going back to the dentist for another one.
I totally get that....what about the custom ones that you do via mail order mould? They are much cheaper than dentist (in UK at least) and not much more than a boil and bite. Just thinking if your used to a custom one will you be happy with a boil and bite?

The dentist I worked for let me in on a secret-- dentists aren't really that good at making these mouthguards for sports, it's more just for keeping your teeth from grinding when you sleep. They have no understanding of athletic needs or comfort even so they don't build that into the guard.

The dentist I worked for let me in on a secret-- dentists aren't really that good at making these mouthguards for sports, it's more just for keeping your teeth from grinding when you sleep. They have no understanding of athletic needs or comfort even so they don't build that into the guard.

Thankfully I come from a country where hockey is a huge sport and so is kickboxing :)

Thankfully I come from a country where hockey is a huge sport and so is kickboxing :)

It's possible SOME individual dentists are experienced enough with sports guards and have learned to put really nice features into the guards they build but they sure aren't taught that kind of stuff at dental school.

It's possible SOME individual dentists are experienced enough with sports guards and have learned to put really nice features into the guards they build but they sure aren't taught that kind of stuff at dental school.

I can imagine. Kind of sucks, because I believed my dentist would know what he is doing.. but I can never know for sure, ofcourse. However, does cheap mouthguards in hot water never seemed to worked well for me. I have not found a service like mentioned in this thread in my country. So lets just "hope".... hope is not a strategy :-/

I can imagine. Kind of sucks, because I believed my dentist would know what he is doing.. but I can never know for sure, ofcourse. However, does cheap mouthguards in hot water never seemed to worked well for me. I have not found a service like mentioned in this thread in my country. So lets just "hope".... hope is not a strategy :-/

If it feels comfortable and seems to work just fine then it's doing a good job and you shouldn't worry

I have a Shurfit mouthguard, its a boil and bite, they sponsored me with it a while a back, it is honestly the best mouthguard I have ever had and I can definitely tell a difference between this boil and bite and cheapy boil and bite from big 5. That being said the only mouthguards I used prior to this one was cheapy ones from big 5 lol. But the shurfit is definitely better. I think its basically made with the same material as the better quality custom ones, but its a boil and bite. What exactly the material is I dont know, but i have been able to search around online and find other mouthguards that seem made of the same material by the pictures like damage control. I would say the shurfit is a high quality boil and bite, but its $50. There are other brands out there like gladiator and impact that make custom ones for the same price so why not just get another custom one?

Look at POWguard on instragram if you have it that's where I got mine from

Venum makes a good boil and bite Mouthguard.

Read reviews about Venum's guards. There are a high amount of 1 star reviews, they apparently fall about after a few uses, they don't protect well from the impact, I was set to buy one until I read through about 80 reviews.

I too am looking at getting a new mouthguard.

Currently using Shock Doctor Gel Max which is OK, but hoping for something a little more compact.

Considering going with a GameDay Extreme mouthguard that are custom moulded via post in Australia.
https://gamedaymouthguards.com.au/c...s/products/gameday-xtreme?variant=30363271497

Not real cheap, and may be approaching the cost of a dentist made custom mouthgouard?

Read this about Sisu during my search, which makes me doubt they are ideal for boxing/Muay Thai etc :-
Anybody get hit while wearing these during boxing?Do they absorb impact well?
Answer:
I have. They do not work well for boxing. There are two major issues. First is that they don't absorb impact very well, not much to bite down on and second is all the holes in them cut up the insides of my lips. Even a jab from a 120-130 lbs were causing cuts. I've tried a few other mouthguards since (only one I remember is the Venum one) and can say with the utmost confidence to get a custom fit one (impact/gladiator). They make a world of difference. They stay in and its so much easier to breathe. Yes, it does cost a bit more but I feel it's the single piece of equipment that has the biggest effect on performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back