Best non-Asian martial arts movies

Blood & Bone, Never Back Down & The Fighter

This damn Dragons Forever movie.

I've seen every Jackie Chan film from 1978 to 2008 except for that and Fearless Hyena. Hyena never gets mentioned, but Dragons does all the time and it keeps reminding me I better get on that.

I have never heard of Fearless Hyena but I will check it out! I can't recommend Dragons Forever enough, such a funny, wacky film, the fight at the end is legendary too, one of the best I've ever seen in a film.

the_last_dragon_1985-movie-poster.jpg
Beat me to it, I couldn't get enough of this movie as a kid. Vanity was fine as hell.

Last edited:
I have never heard of Fearless Hyena but I will check it out! I can't recommend Dragons Forever enough, such a funny, wacky film, the fight at the end is legendary too, one of the best I've ever seen in a film.
Check it out if you want, but I heard Fearless Hyena isn't very good so that's not a official recommendation or anything.

I haven't seen No Retreat No Surrender listed yet. Oldie but goodie.
Definitely worth the look

I previously made a thread asking about the best martial arts movies. I said that anything, even kungfu movies, were welcome, so it's my own fault, but the thread ended up being full of Asian movies...

The truth is, Asian movies, particularly their martial arts movies, are horrible. The action is far too superhuman/Matrix, the acting is inexcusably horrible and the dialogue is straight stupid. Stopping in the middle of the fight to exchange stupid dialogue is also a problem I can't stand.

Was it in Ip Man that guy suddenly stops to say "what a powerful technique" after getting hit? Was it in Hero (or Fearless or whatever) that the mountain man suddenly says "tiger claw!" while attacking? Saying his attacking names like a fucking spell or what?

Point is, this thread is for any non-Asian martial arts movies. Recommend the best ones you know. Keep in mind that the movie is welcome to be set in Asia, if the director is non-Asian and you can guarantee me that I won't see the usual awkward Asian acting.

(I'm REALLY looking forward to the movie A Prayer Before Dawn, for example, even if it's set in Thailand. The reason is, that at least we're talking about a serious movie here, not that unrealistic Ong Bak stuff...)

If The Raid counts as an Asian movie then your fucking crazy. If not, then your kinda crazy.

Great White Hope
Creed
Raging Bull
Requiem for a Heavyweight

You motherfuckers high....?

70 posts and no...

karate-kid-3.jpg

The Fighter (AKA: Savate: Deadliest Art In The West featuring the late R Lee Ermey

A TRUE Non-Asian Martial Arts movie since it's about Savate.

Only The Strong

Also a TRUE Non-Asian Martial Arts movie since it's about Capoeira

Only The Strong is a classic! Thank you! Totally forgot about this one.

Back