Best Place to Stab Someone and Not Kill Them?

BJJGuy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What is the safest place to stab someone in a self-defense scenario where you feel that your life is being threatened?

Ideally, it would incapacitate them and it would most likely be with a 3" pocket knife.

Just curious, as I carry a pocket knife with me most of the time for general utility, but I also assume that it would be a last resort self defense weapon if ever needed. I realized today that I don't really know where you should stab someone to incapacitate but not kill them.

If they're trying to kill you, just stab them under the armpit. They'll die, but fuck em, they tried to kill you. Sever the brachial and axillary arteries and you will live, they will die, pretty quickly too.

Those are my primary targets if my only weapon is a knife.

If you use a knife in self-defense, even if you "tried not to kill your aggressor", you will have still used lethal force. When you decide to defend yourself with a lethal weapon, there is no middle ground. If they don't immediately fuck off when they see the weapon, kill them or at least try as much as you can until they do fuck off.

Cody & Jlag are right.

If someone's trying to hurt or kill you or your family, you should be trying to stop them completely from doing anymore harm. Most likely killing them depending on the situation.

You'll be charged either way, the legal system won't look more favourably on someone who, acting in self defense, showed restraint or reluctance to kill; hell, with the right/wrong prosecutor, it might even work against you and turn into a manslaughter charge or worse. If you strike someone with an edged weapon, even if you intended not to kill them, it's still treated as attempted murder until it's proven to be justifiable use of force.

Restraint should be exercised before you decide to use your weapon or after the threat has stopped. If you truly feel justified for using self-defense, use it to the fullest extent possible, and in the aftermath, focus on justifying your actions.

You want to stab them but not kill them?? You are likely going to end up in a grappling match for the knife because people who get stabbed often don't even feel it, they think they have been punched. So if you are going for non-vital stabs they won't even notice. If you want to deter them you'd be much better slashing say their forehead so blood pours into their eyes. Big psychological impact, non-lethal and debilitating. Of course you could miss and end up blinding them!

You want to stab them but not kill them?? You are likely going to end up in a grappling match for the knife because people who get stabbed often don't even feel it, they think they have been punched. So if you are going for non-vital stabs they won't even notice. If you want to deter them you'd be much better slashing say their forehead so blood pours into their eyes. Big psychological impact, non-lethal and debilitating. Of course you could miss and end up blinding them!

This. I was stabbed multiple times in a rumble and wasn't even aware of it till after when my friend pointed out all the blood on my shirt.

My advice, to incapacitate them kill them. And be aware that if you stab someone and let him live, he will seek vengeance on you with the thought that you attempted to take his life. Something to keep in mind.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I guess it doesn't make too much sense to not try and kill someone if they're trying to take your life.

I've just never really thought about how I would use my knife in a self-defense scenario if needed. I have a couple of guns for home protection so I wouldn't hesitate to kill someone if they invaded my home, but I've never really thought about it on the street (other than using BJJ or boxing in an unarmed scenario of course).

It's doing whatever it takes to stop the threat. If they die, they die.

Your life should come first. Don't have hesitation, it can get you killed.

It's doing whatever it takes to stop the threat. If they die, they die.

Your life should come first. Don't have hesitation, it can get you killed.

This terminology is acutally very important. You are doing whatever you can to "Stop the Threat ". If something ever happens and a cop is there or anyone else for that matter. You were trying to "stop the threat" Don't ever say I was trying to kill the person.

Question: "Why did you shoot/stab he person in the chest."
Correct Answer: "I was trying to stop them from attacking me."
Bad answer: " I was trying to kill the guy to because he was beating me up."

Intent here is big deal. Your intent is to stop the threat or attack. And lethal force to stop an attack is legal.

If you start saying I was trying to "kill' the person now you told them your intent was kill, not stop the attack. Insert creepy lawyer or DA looking to get relected and you've got problems. I've got friends that teach Concealed Carry courses and they really stress this point. But this principle would also apply to any lethal weapon. Knife , bat, brick, etc.

Slice the hip flexor. This will bring them down pretty quick.

Or just hit em with your purse.

Bladed weapons are not designed for non-lethal use. Avoid target areas like the liver, heart, lungs, kidneys, inner thigh, throat and you'll lessen the chances of the wound being fatal.

stupid question, why under the armpit?

No resistance and lots of arteries, veins, and even a lung are there.
can-stock-photo_csp7928419.jpg

But to aim for such a small spot in a life and death situation is senseless.

No resistance and lots of arteries, veins, and even a lung are there.
can-stock-photo_csp7928419.jpg

koshcheck?

yeah knife fighting is the same as gun play as already mentioned. you arent trying to "wing" them or give off warning shots.

I'm in general agreement; while not an accomplished knife fighter myself, what little I've learned has me leaning towards the "take what you can get" school of thought, with the end goal being to stop the attack, whether it's by one well placed attack or a literal death by a thousand cuts; whichever opportunity presents itself first, though chances are, it's the latter.

I'm in general agreement; while not an accomplished knife fighter myself, what little I've learned has me leaning towards the "take what you can get" school of thought, with the end goal being to stop the attack, whether it's by one well placed attack or a literal death by a thousand cuts; whichever opportunity presents itself first, though chances are, it's the latter.

There's always the 1-6, if you can get it off.

You can usually get 1&2 at the very least.

Back