Best places to train in BJJ in St Louis?

ecrec08

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to St Louis and looking around at different places to train in jiu jitsu. I was just wondering if anyone here was from the area and could provide some insight? I'd really appreciate any help.

I'm most familiar with Gracie Humaita. They're in st charles. Awesome team/family. JW Wright is the black belt. They've got browns, purples, and a fairly extensive network throughout the state and beyond. The bishops of bishopbjj.com train there. The school website is:
Grapplingconcepts.com

Finney's has ezra lennon. Looks like an awesome facility, but i've never been.

There's vaghi, gracie barra stl, and 10th planet stl.

Lots of options. Proximity will probably play a big factor, but I reccomend jw wright the most (though I'm biased).

There is a Nova Uniao affiliate just 15 minutes out of St. Louis in Belleville, Il taught by black belt Mike Rethmeyer whom is a great teacher. Also, one that just opened up in Chesterfield, MO.

/\/\

Good posts. I have trained with almost all of them, and they are all legit bad-a** mo-fos.

PM me if you want some off the beaten path, hidden-moon, ronin, Mr. Miyagi type of shit. St. Louis is a hotbed of masters, just doesn't have the publicity.

I'm most familiar with Gracie Humaita. They're in st charles. Awesome team/family. JW Wright is the black belt. They've got browns, purples, and a fairly extensive network throughout the state and beyond. The bishops of bishopbjj.com train there. The school website is:
Grapplingconcepts.com

Finney's has ezra lennon. Looks like an awesome facility, but i've never been.

There's vaghi, gracie barra stl, and 10th planet stl.

Lots of options. Proximity will probably play a big factor, but I reccomend jw wright the most (though I'm biased).

JW is the fucking man.
Sambo and Royler Gracie black belt. 'Nuff said.

Vahgis guys are badass as well. Trained with and competed against 'em. Scary competitors.

So much more in the Lou if you want to know.

I train at Finney's with Ezra Lenon. Great group of guys and gals. We have 3 classes/day Mon-Thur and 2 classes on Saturday.

There's also daycare during class times if you have kids. Ezra's awesome (black belt in under 5 yrs, silver at Pans and Bronze at Worlds in nogi last year).

PM me if you want extra info.

Nice to see a bunch of STL people!

Yeah I've heard great things about Vaghi,

have actually visited Watson's and really liked the place, there's also North Broadway Jiu Jitsu as well.

Any of the Team Vaghi schools for sure. Rodrigo Vaghi is Rickson's highest ranked black belt representative outside of Brazil and he trained directly under Helio, Royce, Royler and Rolker as well.

http://teamvaghi.com/
http://www.stcharlesmma.com/
http://www.guidrytraining.com/

Hello, I'm new to St Louis and looking around at different places to train in jiu jitsu. I was just wondering if anyone here was from the area and could provide some insight? I'd really appreciate any help.

There is a Nova Uniao school in chesterfield called S2 BJJ. It just opened up in June. Its ran by Jason Smith and myself (both brown belts). I took third at Pan Ams and have won almost every IBJJF tournament and Jason has also won several IBJJF tournaments. The website is www.s2bjj.com

Last edited:
I was born and raised in St. Louis, but now I live in California. Last time I was in town I stopped in at Kyle Watson's gym and had a great time. St. Louis is such a big metro area. If you are just starting, I would go to whatever school is closest to your house. Belleville and St. Charles are pretty long drives depending on where you live.

There is also a place in O'Fallon, IL called Invicta Academy (Fight Sports affiliate). The head instructor is Tony Harris who is under Roberto Cyborg Abreu. I trained there for a few years but have moved away from the area.

There is also a place in O'Fallon, IL called Invicta Academy (Fight Sports affiliate). The head instructor is Tony Harris who is under Roberto Cyborg Abreu. I trained there for a few years but have moved away from the area.

My instructor did a seminar there. Really cool guys. I'd go back.

There is also a purple belt out in that area named Gary Meek super cool guy. I dont know what the name of his school is though. I would look him up on FB. That would be my number 1 choice for St. Louis.

There is a Nova Uniao affiliate just 15 minutes out of St. Louis in Belleville, Il taught by black belt Mike Rethmeyer whom is a great teacher. Also, one that just opened up in Chesterfield, MO.

I've been to the one in Chesterfield a few times. Great group of guys, Jason Smith is the brown that leads class. Small, personal instruction.

Ressurecto Necromundo!

Any updates for this in 2017? Anyone train at Team Z?

Back