Best small 4k monitor for Xbox One X?

Why are we beating up someone looking for advice, guys?

These appear to be the criteria. The italicized criteria at the bottom are my extrapolations:
  • Xbox One X
  • $400 budget
  • 4K resolution preferred
  • Smaller screen + closer physical proximity environment, but ultimately the purpose of this desire is higher competitive performance viability of the display
  • Freesync
  • HDR
@Robocok, professional PC Gamers often don't even game at 1080p (they game below it) because pushing fewer pixels means every frame is pushed out faster. They truly aren't concerned with graphics in any capacity except how it pertains to their performance. In addition to that, they're typically after 120Hz+ framerates which will never be a concern for a console gamer who never exceeds the 60fps lock. You simply don't need those response times with a 16.7ms threshold tolerance. Fortunately, while screens that satisfy the the highest performance prerequisites for the Consoles are available in much larger sizes today, you aren't getting any of those for $400 or less.

Okay, about size:
TV Monitor Viewing Distance Calculator
@MUSTKILL is being obnoxious about it, but he isn't wrong. For you to reap the rewards of 4K at 27" your face needs to be approximately 3.8' (46") from the screen, or closer, and 1.7' (20") is ideal for maximum visual acuity. I use a 27" monitor in a desktop environment and I naturally just keep my face between 27"-30" from the screen. For this reason, frankly, I don't really see the point of 4K until you hit the new 43" class and are effectively beyond the world of desktop monitors. The 34"-35" Ultrawide 3440x1440p monitors are the pinnacle of the desktop monitor world.

Monitor Nerds > Best Console Gaming Monitors for Playstation and Xbox One – Buying Guide (Updated October 2017)
Nevertheless, until now, the LG UD68 has been called the "ultimate 27" monitor for console gamers." That's from back when these niche websites could actually perform their niche...because if you visit the link above to check now they're giving this distinction to five different monitors. What a disaster:
  1. ($313) Samsung U28E590D
  2. ($400) LG UD68
  3. ($393) Asus MG28UQ
  4. ($530) ViewSonic XG2700-4K
  5. ($1350) Dell Ultrasharp 27" (UP2718Q)
Alternative List (this one is much better):
144Hz Monitors > Best Gaming Monitors For XBOX One X and PS4 Pro

I suggest the LG UD58 as the most sensible option within your budget. It's virtually identical to the LG UD68 above, but for $60 less. Its most meaningful disadvantages are that it is slightly less bright, which won't matter in dark environments, and the lack of Picture-in-Picture. The only criterion it lacks from our checklist is HDR.

LG 27UD58-B ($340)
91W7OdMZ3ML._SL1500_.jpg

However, I just checked, and this is no longer LG's flagship 27" gaming monitor. LG's new kid from CES 2018 stole its thunder, succeeding the UD68, and it's available on Amazon. This adds HDR10 compliance to the above. The downside? That feature appears to come at a ~$200 premium. Still, it easily displaces the Dell Ultrasharp quoted by 144Hz Monitors and Monitor Nerds above as the cheapest 27" HDR gaming monitor on the market-- beating it by over $800:

LG 27UK650-W ($543)
91REqn%2BX8AL._SL1500_.jpg

If you want more performance than that, like if you fancy yourself a pro PC gamer, then stop fucking around and just get one of the 24" or 27" BenQ XL 1080p 144Hz+ monitors aimed at that market:
  1. https://www.144hzmonitors.com/other/best-cs-go-monitor-what-pro-players-use-2017/
  2. http://csgopedia.com/csgo-pro-setups/

If you want a living room sized TV with this level of performance, then you're going to need a bigger boat...er, budget. Easily the best buys for gamer by size-class:

55"-65"

LG C7 or LG B7A (identical except for white trim aesthetic)

75"-85"

Sony X900F

Last edited:

These appear to be the criteria. The italicized criteria at the bottom are my extrapolations:
  • Xbox One X
  • $400 budget
  • Smaller screen + closer physical proximity environment, but ultimately the purpose of this desire is higher competitive performance viability of the display
  • Freesync
  • HDR
@Robocok, professional PC Gamers often don't even game at 1080p (they game below it). They truly aren't concerned graphics in any capacity except how it pertains to their performance. In addition to that, they're typically after 120Hz+ framerates which will never be a concern for a console gamer who never exceeds the 60fps lock. You simply don't need those response times with a 16.7ms threshold tolerance. Fortunately, while screens that satisfy the the highest performance prerequisites for the Consoles are available in much larger sizes today, you aren't getting any of those for $400 or less.

Okay, about size:
@MUSTKILL is being obnoxious about it, but he isn't wrong. For you to reap the rewards of 4K at 27" your face needs to be approximately 3.8' (46") from the screen, or closer, and 1.7' (20") is ideal for maximum visual acuity (which accounts for field of vision). I use a 27" monitor in a desktop environment and I naturally just keep my face between 27"-30" from the screen. For this reason, frankly, I don't really see the point of 4K until you hit 40" and are effectively beyond the world of desktop monitors. The 34"-35" Ultrawide 3440x1440p monitors are the pinnacle of the desktop monitor world.

Nevertheless, until now, this has been called the "ultimate 27" monitor for console gamers":
https://www.amazon.com/LG-27UD58-B-...F8&qid=1500562931&sr=8-1&keywords=LG+27UD58-B

LG 27UD58-B ($340)
91W7OdMZ3ML._SL1500_.jpg

However, I just checked, and its status appears to be outdated. LG's new kid from CES 2018 stole its thunder, and it's available on Amazon. This adds HDR10 compliance to the above the monitor. The downside? That feature appears to come at a ~$200 premium:
https://www.amazon.com/LG-27UK650-W-Monitor-FreeSync-Technology/dp/B078GRM2MV

LG 27UK650-W ($543)

If you want more performance than that, like if you fancy yourself a pro PC gamer, then stop fucking around and just get one of the 24" or 27" BenQ XL 1080p 144Hz+ monitors aimed at that market:
  1. https://www.144hzmonitors.com/other/best-cs-go-monitor-what-pro-players-use-2017/

If you want a living room sized TV with this level of performance, then you're going to need a bigger boat...er, budget. Easily the best buys for gamer by size-class:

55"-65"

75"-85"

Sony X900F

I just brought back my new gaming computer, i7 7700k 32gb ddr4, gtx 1080. Picking up another one tonight.

New one has a gtx 1080 ti, i7 8700k.

Ill probably buy a new monitor later in the year to match.

I was checking out the widescreen monitors, they are great, but most are 1100-1700 here in canada.

Benq had some of the best reviews but honestly I find their monitors kind of ugly.

I was looking at the 34" acer rog swift ultrawide wqhd 5ms gtg ips gsync PG348Q

Also the LG 4k ultra hd 5ms gtg curved ips 34UC89G-B

What monitor do you think is the best overall right now

4k on anything below 50" is a waste IMO.

Get a super fast 1440p / 32".

What monitor do you think is the best overall right now
Waiting on these:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/big-format-gaming-displays/
nvidia_bfgd_hands-on.jpg

Nvidia's delayed 4K, 144Hz G-Sync HDR displays are expected to launch in April
PC Gamer said:
When Nvidia first revealed G-Sync HDR monitors all the way back at CES 2017, enthusiast hearts around the globe skipped a beat. With searing 1,000-nit 4K HDR screens blazing along at 144Hz, bolstered by Quantum Dot Enhancement Film and Nvidia’s gameplay-smoothing G-Sync technology, these beasts are essentially the holy grail of PC displays. Pushing the bleeding edge isn’t easy though, and the monitors—first promised for summer 2017—wound up being delayed. But they should be here soon.

Nvidia is “confident” that the first 4K G-Sync HDR displays will launch in April, the company told Anandtech during a GDC meeting. PCWorld sources in the monitor industry confirmed a similar time frame.

Two 4K G-Sync HDR displays have been announced, bearing almost identical specifications: The Acer Predator X27 and the Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ. No detailed pricing or release date information have been released for either model, but expect them to be pricey—perhaps chest-clutchingly so, given how hard 4K G-Sync displays push the envelope.

Anandtech didn’t specific whether ultrawide G-Sync HDR displays will also launch in April. First announced in May 2017, these variants pack largely similar underlying specs to the 4K monitors, but swap in a massive 35-inch, curved screen with a 3440x1440 resolution and a 21:9 aspect ratio. They were expected to launch by the end of 2017 before being delayed. Nvidia’s TV-sized “BFGD” G-Sync HDR displays are currently scheduled for a summer 2018 release.

Pushing pixels
Whether your graphics card can keep up with G-Sync HDR monitors is another question. At 4K resolution, even the fearsome GeForce GTX 1080 Tilingers around 60 frames per second with the eye candy cranked in most modern games, as PCWorld’s guide to 4K gaming explains. You’d need a pair of those to even come close to approaching the 144Hz speeds of these 4K G-Sync HDR displays—a $2,000 investment in today’s price-inflated graphics card market.

Salvation may be on the horizon though, in the form of Nvidia’s next-gen Volta GPU architecture. It’s currently only embedded in professional cards like the Tesla V100 and Titan V, but gaming benchmarks show the Titan V smashing the GTX 1080 Ti by 30 to 40 percent in most games despite it being infused with AI-boosting tensor core hardware.

[ Further reading: The best graphics cards for PC gaming ]

Nvidia hasn’t announced plans for a new generation of consumer graphics cards based on Volta, but during GDC this week, the company revealed that the RTX technology it’ll use to boost real-time DirectX Raytracing performance will only be enabled on Volta-based hardware. Fingers crossed those consumer cards are coming sooner than later, with the ability to drive these beastly G-Sync HDR displays to their full potential.

Here's the link to the more desktop-specific offerings:
G-Sync HDR displays go ultrawide and ultra-fast with the 200Hz Asus ROG Swift PG35VQ

Last edited:
4k 144hz?

I guess for Dota 2 / Starcraft 2 and stuff. Sure. Not even a GTX 1080 ti can safely max out / hit 60hz on modern games.

65 inches? I can imagine they might cost more than the actual computer. A 1080ti isnt good enough to take advantage of them. These are too good.

The asus will probably be $2000+ here, considering the older model is 1700. Im ok with 1k-1500 but I cant really go past that

4k 144hz?

I guess for Dota 2 / Starcraft 2 and stuff. Sure. Not even a GTX 1080 ti can safely max out / hit 60hz on modern games.
Except for the literally tens of thousand PC games for which it can. You're thinking too narrowly about the 1% of most demanding AAA games. This is the only time that overhead is idling. Overwatch is the only major eSport that can't average north of 100fps @4K on current hardware:

65 inches? I can imagine they might cost more than the actual computer. A 1080ti isnt good enough to take advantage of them. These are too good.

The asus will probably be $2000+ here, considering the older model is 1700. Im ok with 1k-1500 but I cant really go past that
Arguably the best model currently out is the BenQ EX3501R. It adds HDR to the high-performance ultrawide class:
https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-EX3501R-Curved-Monitor-FreeSync/dp/B077P62F8X
61Wf9cPRX4L._SL1000_.jpg

Awesome, very informative. Thank you

• Xbox One X
  • $400 budget
  • Freesync
  • HDR
@Robocok, professional PC Gamers often don't even game at 1080p (they game below it). They truly aren't concerned graphics in any capacity except how it pertains to their performance. In addition to that, they're typically after 120Hz+ framerates which will never be a concern for a console gamer who never exceeds the 60fps lock. You simply don't need those response times with a 16.7ms threshold tolerance. Fortunately, while screens that satisfy the the highest performance prerequisites for the Consoles are available in much larger sizes today, you aren't getting any of those for $400 or less.

Okay, about size:
@MUSTKILL is being obnoxious about it, but he isn't wrong. For you to reap the rewards of 4K at 27" your face needs to be approximately 3.8' (46") from the screen, or closer, and 1.7' (20") is ideal for maximum visual acuity (which accounts for field of vision). I use a 27" monitor in a desktop environment and I naturally just keep my face between 27"-30" from the screen. For this reason, frankly, I don't really see the point of 4K until you hit 40" and are effectively beyond the world of desktop monitors. The 34"-35" Ultrawide 3440x1440p monitors are the pinnacle of the desktop monitor world.

Monitor Nerds > Best Console Gaming Monitors for Playstation and Xbox One – Buying Guide (Updated October 2017)
Nevertheless, until now, the LG UD68 has been called the "ultimate 27" monitor for console gamers." That's from back when these niche websites could actually perform their niche...because if you visit the link above to check now they're giving this distinction to three different monitors. What a disaster:
  1. ($400) LG UD68
  2. ($393) Asus MG28UQ
  3. ($530) ViewSonic XG2700-4K

I suggest the LG UD58 as the most sensible option within your budget. It's virtually identical to the LG UD68 above, but for $60 less. Its most meaningful disadvantage is the the lack of Picture-in-Picture. The only criterion it lacks from our checklist is HDR.
https://www.amazon.com/LG-27UD58-B-...F8&qid=1500562931&sr=8-1&keywords=LG+27UD58-B

LG 27UD58-B ($340)
91W7OdMZ3ML._SL1500_.jpg

However, I just checked, and this is no longer LG's flagship 27" gaming monitor. LG's new kid from CES 2018 stole its thunder, succeeding the UD68, and it's available on Amazon. This adds HDR10 compliance to the above. The downside? That feature appears to come at a ~$200 premium:

LG 27UK650-W ($543)

55"-65"

75"-85"

Sony X900F

Except for the literally tens of thousand PC games for which it can. You're thinking too narrowly about the 1% of most demanding AAA games. This is the only time that overhead is idling. Overwatch is the only major eSport that can't average north of 100fps @4K on current hardware:

It would be pretty amazing for competitive gaming, and it'd scale well with future GPU's.

@Robocok

I opened up a Google Sheet I had generated a while ago for this, and it appears I've overlooked one key monitor. For "Best 4K Console Monitor" I have the below 31.5" model marked:

BenQ EW3270U
https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-EW3270U-FreeSync-Brightness-Intelligence/dp/B078HWBGH5
  • 31.5" 4K VA
  • 60Hz
  • 4ms Response Time
  • Freesync
  • HDR
  • USB-C, HDMI 2.0, DP 1.4
ew3270u-gallery-01.jpg

Also, don't overlook the cheaper alternative to the LG UD58 (and 4th "Best 4K Monitor for PS4 Pro and Xbox One S") I gleaned tardily from the Monitor Nerds link I provided in my main post above. I have the UD58 on my sheet as fulfilling this option because apparently when I made it the UD58 was $297, not $340. The Samsung UE28590D is cheaper currently with the same specs at $313. There are two significant differences; the Samsung is one inch larger, and the LG is an IPS monitor while it is TN. IPS maintains its picture quality advantages while it doesn't fail to keep up with 60fps on Consoles, so I still give the nod to the LG unit.

Samsung U28E590D
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-U28E590D-28-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00YD3DB
  • 28" 4K TN
  • 60Hz
  • 1ms Response Time
  • Freesync
  • HDMI 2.0, DP 1.4

Finally, even further outside your budget than the BenQ above, but for a surprisingly low $836, this is probably the truly "ultimate" Console monitor below the 55" LG OLED TVs:

Acer XR382CQK
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XR382CQ...&qid=1525446075&sr=1-1&keywords=Acer+XR382CQK
  • 37.5" Curved Ultrawide 3440 x 1440 IPS
  • 75Hz
  • 1ms Response Time
  • Freesync
  • HDR
  • USB3, HDMI 2.0, DP 1.4
XR382CQK_sku_main.png

4K Freesync Monitors

27" - 28"
  2. ($323) Asus VP28UQG
  3. ($340) LG UD58
  4. ($393) Asus MG28UQ
  5. ($400) LG UD68
  6. ($530) ViewSonic XG2700-4K
  7. ($543) LG 27UK650-W
31.5" - 37.5"
  1. ($699) BenQ EW3270U
  2. ($836) Acer XR382CQK*
    *3440x1440 Ultrawide
4K OLED Gaming TVs
  1. ($300) TCL 43S405 43"
  2. ($350) TCL 49S405 49"
  3. ($400) TCL 55S405 55"
  4. ($818) TCL 65S405 65"
  5. ($1100) Sony X900F 49"
  6. ($1700) LG C7 55"
  7. ($2600) LG C7 65"
  8. ($3800) Sony X900F 75"
  9. ($4500) Sony X900F 85"
Green = >$400 budget
Blue = HDR

FYI, the TCL S405 series of 4K UHDTVs are the cheapest acceptable gaming televisions that can keep up with 60fps with an average response time of 14.4ms, and excellent input lag scores. It won't match the picture quality of the OLED displays.

Last edited:
Honestly I got fed up with my monitor crashing on starting up a different game, went out and bought an Acer Predator 1440p 165hz, G-sync monitor 27inch. Much better than my old one, even if I do take a bit of an impact running my games at a higher res

BEST 4K DISPLAYS FOR XBOX ONE X & PS4 PRO
144Hz, Monitor Nerds, TFT Central, & DisplayLag (Top reviewers of Monitors on the internet)
Rtings (Top reviewer of TVs on the internet)

I consider the LG C8 77" OLED TV to be the most desirable gaming display in the world until those NVIDIA BFGD displays arrive, but the barely older (& smaller) LG C7 and LG B7A are the superior values for identical performance and an incrementally improved-upon picture quality.

Criteria for the best Xbox One X & PS4 Pro display:
  • Overall Picture Quality
    • Size
    • Metrics like brightness, contrast, the total percentage of the sRGB gamut, color volume, uniformity, color/brightness shifts on viewing angles, anti-reflectance, gradient consistency, image retention, burn-in risk, and pixel balance are measured.
    • Panel types are associated with image quality:
      OLED > IPS > VA > TN
  • Freesync
    • AMD's technology to match the video card's precise frame output to the monitor's frame output to completely eliminate screen tearing. This is monitors only, now, not TVs, but that may change. Both PS4 and Xbox One platforms use AMD video cards.
    • The fewer frames per second the more critical this feature becomes to image quality, and so it's much more important to the Xbox Ones and PS4s which all operate at the relatively low 60fps lock ceiling. For example, frame rate matching is of so little consequence north of 144fps that their NVIDIA competitor, G-sync, just cuts off.
    • Freesync-over-HDMI required by the Xbox One S & Xbox One X is a rare feature; DisplayPort is the usual input for Freesync, but that will only be relevant for PC. For this reason it's a great pool from which to choose. The only 4K & 1440p Ultrawide models with Freesync-over-HDMI:
      https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors
      • Acer H277HK
      • Asus MX34VQ
      • Asus VP28UQG
      • HP Envy 27, Envy 27s
      • LG 27UD69, 27UD89, 32UD99
      • LG 27UK600, 27UK650, 27UK850
      • Samsung U28H750, U32H750
  • Refresh Rate
    • Again, the console ceiling is the 60fps lock, so anything above 60 Hz is a waste unless you have a preference for artificial smoothing effects like interpolation.
  • Response Time
    • Lower is better
    • 16.7ms is the 60fps threshold (= 1 second / 60 frames) for response time tolerance, but because the final signal for the next frame may be sent at any point during this shift it’s still desirable to have the lowest response time possible.
    • Keep in mind that it is desirable a monitor’s maximum response time shouldn’t exceed this threshold if you don’t want to drop any frames, so it’s optimal for there to be some headroom for the average response time.
  • Input Lag
    • Lower is better
    • The delay between an input from a keyboard, mouse, or controller, and the resulting change onscreen.
    • >50ms window is solid for gaming.
    • >20ms is exceptional.
  • HDR
    • Dolby HDR > HDR10
    • The only "true" HDR displays can (a) hit the peak brightness output range of 1000-4000 cd/m2, and also (b) have actual 10-bit color, not the 8-bit + FRC compromise.
After spending all this time on this I've decided the 144Hz guide is the best out there for monitors, but I'll recommend the LG 27UD69 over their LG 27UD58 because it supports Freesync-over-HDMI for the Xbox One X, and is on special right now from Best Buy. If you want to step above that I recommend the LG 27UK650-W for both Freesync and pseudo-HDR, but that is well beyond your specified budget.
If you truly want to sacrifice image quality and go for "pure performance" then these TN panels are your best bet: Asus VP28UQG or Samsung U28H750. The Asus fits your budget, but the Samsung is the better overall display thanks to its Quantum Dot 125% sRGB color gamut.
144Hz Monitors > Best Gaming Monitors For Xbox One X and PS4 Pro (Alternative)
Rtings > The 5 Best 4k Gaming TVs (Spring 2018)
If you stick to 27" one of these four diplays is your best choice. If you consider a larger display the TCL S405 55" for $400 is easily the most attractive option within your budget.

4K Freesync Monitors

24” IPS
  1. ($270) LG 24UD58
27" - 28" TN
  2. ($323) Asus VP28UQG
  3. ($393) Asus MG28UQ
  4. ($454) Samsung U28H750 (LU28H750UQNXZA)
27" - 28" IPS
  1. ($340) LG 27UD58
  2. ($370) Acer H277HK
  3. ($380) LG 27UD69
  4. ($425) LG 27UD68
  5. ($530) ViewSonic XG2700-4K
  6. ($540) LG 27UK650-W
  7. ($1350) Dell Ultrasharp UP2718Q#
    #No Freesync
31.5" - 37.5"
  1. ($550) Samsung U32H750 (LU32H750UMNXZA) [31.5” VA]
  2. ($675) Asus MX34VQ* [34" IPS]
  3. ($700) BenQ EW3270U [31.5” VA]
  4. ($800) Acer XR382CQK* [37.5” IPS]
  5. ($895) LG 32UD99 [32" IPS]
    *3440x1440 Ultrawide
4K Gaming TVs

VA
  1. ($300) TCL S405 43" (43S405)
  2. ($350) TCL S405 49" (49S405)
  3. ($400) TCL S405 55" (55S405)
  4. ($650) TCL S405 65" (65S405)
OLED
  1. ($1,100) Sony X900F 49" (XBR49X900F)
  2. ($1,700) LG C7 55" (OLED55C7P)
  3. ($2,600) LG C7 65" (OLED65C7P)
  4. ($3,800) Sony X900F 75" (XBR75X900F)
  5. ($5,300) Sony X900F 85" (XBR85X900F)
  6. ($9,000) LG C8 77” (OLED77C8PUA)
4K Projectors
  1. ($1,500) BenQ TK800 {125”-150” from 16’; 200” max}**
  2. ($1,785) Optoma UHD60 {99”-159” from 16’; 300” max}**
  3. ($8,000) Sony VPL-VW385ES SXRD {83”-167” from 16’; 300” max}
  4. ($15,000) Sony VPL-VW675ES 3D SXRD {83”-167” from 16’; 300” max}
  5. ($25,000) Sony VPL-VW885ES 3D SXRD Laser {83”-167” from 16’; 300” max}
    **1920x1080 native; “pixel shift” upscale for 4K

Key:
Green = >$400 budget
Blue = Pseudo-HDR
Violet = True HDR
Pink = Best Overall & Pure Performance picks for you

Panel Spectrum:
Picture Quality <<== IPS vs. VA vs. TN ==>> Performance

Special Notes:
-- The LG C7 & C8 OLED displays above have the highest picture quality and performance; otherwise, today's OLEDs would be above IPS in terms of picture quality, but usually about equal to VA in terms of performance
-- The LG C8 comes incredibly close to "true" HDR (944 cd/m2 peak brightness)
-- The TCL series have the Roku smart TV platform built in; the LG OLED displays have the LG WebOS smart TV platform; the Sony OLED displays have Android
-- The BenQ and Optoma 4K Projectors use a pixel shift upscale cheat via a Texas Instruments chip, and so aren’t truly native 4K (but do put out 3840x2160 actual pixels)
-- all prices are for Amazon except the TCL 65S405 (from Wal-Mart), the Samsung U28H750 (Newegg), and the special Best Buy sale on the LG 27UD69 which is normally $450 on Amazon.

Last edited:

• Xbox One X
  • $400 budget
  • Freesync
  • HDR

Okay, about size:

Nevertheless, until now, the LG UD68 has been called the "ultimate 27" monitor for console gamers." That's from back when these niche websites could actually perform their niche...because if you visit the link above to check now they're giving this distinction to four different monitors. What a disaster:
  2. ($400) LG UD68
  3. ($393) Asus MG28UQ
  4. ($530) ViewSonic XG2700-4K

I suggest the LG UD58 as the most sensible option within your budget. It's virtually identical to the LG UD68 above, but for $60 less. Its most meaningful disadvantage is the the lack of Picture-in-Picture. The only criterion it lacks from our checklist is HDR.

LG 27UD58-B ($340)
91W7OdMZ3ML._SL1500_.jpg

However, I just checked, and this is no longer LG's flagship 27" gaming monitor. LG's new kid from CES 2018 stole its thunder, succeeding the UD68, and it's available on Amazon. This adds HDR10 compliance to the above. The downside? That feature appears to come at a ~$200 premium:

LG 27UK650-W ($543)

55"-65"

75"-85"

Sony X900F

Well when you insult the person trying to help you, they usually have a tendency to bark back.

If you can afford it, get an LG OLED TV. Don't worry about it being "small". Trust me, they're the next level experience.

BEST 4K DISPLAYS FOR XBOX ONE X & PS4 PRO
144Hz, Monitor Nerds, TFT Central, & DisplayLag (Top reviewers of Monitors on the internet)
Rtings (Top reviewer of TVs on the internet)

I consider the LG C8 77" OLED TV to be the most desirable gaming display in the world until those NVIDIA BFGD displays arrive, but the barely older (& smaller) LG C7 and LG B7A are the superior values for identical performance and an incrementally improved-upon picture quality.

Criteria for the best Xbox One X & PS4 Pro display:
  • Overall Picture Quality
    • Size
    • Metrics like brightness, contrast, the total percentage of the sRGB gamut, color volume, uniformity, color/brightness shifts on viewing angles, anti-reflectance, gradient consistency, image retention, burn-in risk, and pixel balance are measured.
    • Panel types are associated with image quality:
      OLED > IPS > VA > TN
  • Freesync
    • AMD's technology to match the video card's precise frame output to the monitor's frame output to completely eliminate screen tearing. This is monitors only, now, not TVs, but that may change. Both PS4 and Xbox One platforms use AMD video cards.
    • The fewer frames per second the more critical this feature becomes to image quality, and so it's much more important to the Xbox Ones and PS4s which all operate at the relatively low 60fps lock ceiling. For example, frame rate matching is of so little consequence north of 144fps that their NVIDIA competitor, G-sync, just cuts off.
    • Freesync-over-HDMI required by the Xbox One S & Xbox One X is a rare feature; DisplayPort is the usual input for Freesync, but that will only be relevant for PC. For this reason it's a great pool from which to choose. The only 4K & 1440p Ultrawide models with Freesync-over-HDMI:
      https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors
      • Acer H277HK
      • Asus MX34VQ
      • Asus VP28UQG
      • HP Envy 27, Envy 27s
      • LG 27UD69, 27UD89, 32UD99
      • LG 27UK600, 27UK650, 27UK850
      • Samsung U28H750, U32H750
  • Refresh Rate
    • Again, the console ceiling is the 60fps lock, so anything above 60 Hz is a waste unless you have a preference for artificial smoothing effects like interpolation.
  • Response Time
    • Lower is better
    • 16.7ms is the 60fps threshold (= 1 second / 60 frames) for response time tolerance, but because the final signal for the next frame may be sent at any point during this shift it’s still desirable to have the lowest response time possible.
    • Keep in mind that it is desirable a monitor’s maximum response time shouldn’t exceed this threshold if you don’t want to drop any frames, so it’s optimal for there to be some headroom for the average response time.
  • Input Lag
    • Lower is better
    • The delay between an input from a keyboard, mouse, or controller, and the resulting change onscreen.
    • >50ms window is solid for gaming.
    • >20ms is exceptional.
  • HDR
    • Dolby HDR > HDR10
    • The only "true" HDR displays can (a) hit the peak brightness output range of 1000-4000 cd/m2, and also (b) have actual 10-bit color, not the 8-bit + FRC compromise.
After spending all this time on this I've decided the 144Hz guide is the best out there for monitors, but I'll recommend the LG 27UD69 over their LG 27UD58 because it supports Freesync-over-HDMI for the Xbox One X, and is on special right now from Best Buy. If you want to step above that I recommend the LG 27UK650-W for both Freesync and pseudo-HDR, but that is well beyond your specified budget.
If you truly want to sacrifice image quality and go for "pure performance" then these TN panels are your best bet: Asus VP28UQG or Samsung U28H750. The Asus fits your budget, but the Samsung is the better overall display thanks to its Quantum Dot 125% sRGB color gamut.
144Hz Monitors > Best Gaming Monitors For Xbox One X and PS4 Pro (Alternative)
Rtings > The 5 Best 4k Gaming TVs (Spring 2018)
If you stick to 27" one of these four diplays is your best choice. If you consider a larger display the TCL S405 55" for $400 is easily the most attractive option within your budget.

4K Freesync Monitors

24” IPS
  1. ($270) LG 24UD58
27" - 28" TN
  2. ($323) Asus VP28UQG
  3. ($393) Asus MG28UQ
  4. ($454) Samsung U28H750 (LU28H750UQNXZA)
27" - 28" IPS
  1. ($340) LG 27UD58
  2. ($370) Acer H277HK
  3. ($380) LG 27UD69
  4. ($425) LG 27UD68
  5. ($530) ViewSonic XG2700-4K
  6. ($540) LG 27UK650-W
  7. ($1350) Dell Ultrasharp UP2718Q#
    #No Freesync
31.5" - 37.5"
  1. ($550) Samsung U32H750 (LU32H750UMNXZA) [31.5” VA]
  2. ($675) Asus MX34VQ* [34" IPS]
  3. ($700) BenQ EW3270U [31.5” VA]
  4. ($800) Acer XR382CQK* [37.5” IPS]
  5. ($895) LG 32UD99 [32" IPS]
    *3440x1440 Ultrawide
4K Gaming TVs

VA
  1. ($300) TCL S405 43" (43S405)
  2. ($350) TCL S405 49" (49S405)
  3. ($400) TCL S405 55" (55S405)
  4. ($650) TCL S405 65" (65S405)
OLED
  1. ($1,100) Sony X900F 49" (XBR49X900F)
  2. ($1,700) LG C7 55" (OLED55C7P)
  3. ($2,600) LG C7 65" (OLED65C7P)
  4. ($3,800) Sony X900F 75" (XBR75X900F)
  5. ($5,300) Sony X900F 85" (XBR85X900F)
  6. ($9,000) LG C8 77” (OLED77C8PUA)
4K Projectors
  1. ($1,500) BenQ TK800 {125”-150” from 16’; 200” max}**
  2. ($1,785) Optoma UHD60 {99”-159” from 16’; 300” max}**
  3. ($8,000) Sony VPL-VW385ES SXRD {83”-167” from 16’; 300” max}
  4. ($15,000) Sony VPL-VW675ES 3D SXRD {83”-167” from 16’; 300” max}
  5. ($25,000) Sony VPL-VW885ES 3D SXRD Laser {83”-167” from 16’; 300” max}
    **1920x1080 native; “pixel shift” upscale for 4K

Key:
Green = >$400 budget
Blue = Pseudo-HDR
Violet = True HDR
Pink = Best Overall & Pure Performance picks for you

Panel Spectrum:
Picture Quality <<== IPS vs. VA vs. TN ==>> Performance

Special Notes:
-- The LG C7 & C8 OLED displays above have the highest picture quality and performance; otherwise, today's OLEDs would be above IPS in terms of picture quality, but usually about equal to VA in terms of performance
-- The LG C8 comes incredibly close to "true" HDR (944 cd/m2 peak brightness)
-- The TCL series have the Roku smart TV platform built in; the LG OLED displays have the LG WebOS smart TV platform; the Sony OLED displays have Android
-- The BenQ and Optoma 4K Projectors use a pixel shift upscale cheat via a Texas Instruments chip, and so aren’t truly native 4K (but do put out 3840x2160 actual pixels)
-- all prices are for Amazon except the TCL 65S405 (from Wal-Mart) and Samsung U28H750 (Newegg)
Wow, wealth of information here. Much appreciated.

Newegg has an LG 27" 4k IPS 5ms Freesync monitor for $280. Model 27UD58P-B

Screen Size 27"
Panel Type IPS
Color Gamut (CIE 1931) NTSC 72%
Color Depth (Number of Colors) 10bit (8bit + A-FRC)
Pixel Pitch (mm) 0.1554mm x 0.1554mm
Response Time 5ms
Refresh Rate HDMI 2.0 - 60 Hz, Display Port - 60 Hz (AMD FreeSync™ with DP range 48 Hz - 60 Hz)
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Resolution 3840x2160
Brightness 250nits
Contrast Ratio 1000:1
Viewing Angle 178/178
Surface Treatment Anti-Glare 3H

Newegg has an LG 27" 4k IPS 5ms Freesync monitor for $280. Model 27UD58P-B

Screen Size 27"
Panel Type IPS
Color Gamut (CIE 1931) NTSC 72%
Color Depth (Number of Colors) 10bit (8bit + A-FRC)
Pixel Pitch (mm) 0.1554mm x 0.1554mm
Response Time 5ms
Refresh Rate HDMI 2.0 - 60 Hz, Display Port - 60 Hz (AMD FreeSync™ with DP range 48 Hz - 60 Hz)
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Resolution 3840x2160
Brightness 250nits
Contrast Ratio 1000:1
Viewing Angle 178/178
Surface Treatment Anti-Glare 3H
I copied the above post from the PC thread because I thought many console gamers might be interested in this sale, and otherwise not see it. This is $60 off the normal Amazon price I had quoted in my main guidepost on the topic above:
http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/140945517/

I never pulled the trigger yet because I decided last year after making this thread that I wasn't playing enough competitive multiplayer at the time to justify the purchase but now I'm way into CoD Blackout. I'm freaking addicted to this game mode.

I'm not great but I've been playing more and have racked up 10 wins in blackout, 6 in solo. I was listening to speros today and he said that a monitor really makes a huge difference and he recommends benq for a good budget monitor.

This monitor is very affordable. Do you guys think this is decent? I'm currently playing on a 65 inch and according to speros this will help. I'm such a dumbass I wasn't even playing on game mode until just now so I'm excited to finally pull the trigger and see how much this will help.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/202662453943

Thoughts? Thanks again

I still think 32inch 1080p TV's with IPS panel are the goat

I never pulled the trigger yet because I decided last year after making this thread that I wasn't playing enough competitive multiplayer at the time to justify the purchase but now I'm way into CoD Blackout. I'm freaking addicted to this game mode.

I'm not great but I've been playing more and have racked up 10 wins in blackout, 6 in solo. I was listening to speros today and he said that a monitor really makes a huge difference and he recommends benq for a good budget monitor.

This monitor is very affordable. Do you guys think this is decent? I'm currently playing on a 65 inch and according to speros this will help. I'm such a dumbass I wasn't even playing on game mode until just now so I'm excited to finally pull the trigger and see how much this will help.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/202662453943

Thoughts? Thanks again

I don't like refurbished electronics, especially monitors & motherboards, but BenQ is the way to go, and you're not going to see a better price than that.

The below two monitors are hands down the most popular in this class among pro FPS gamers:
  1. ($499) BenQ ZOWIE XL2546 24.5 inch 240Hz Gaming Monitor | 1080p 1ms | Dynamic Accuracy & Black Equalizer for Competitive Edge | S-Switch for Custom Display Profiles | Shield
  2. ($448) BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 24.5 inch 240Hz Gaming Monitor with G-Sync Compatible/ Adaptive Sync | 1080p 1ms | Black Equalizer for Competitive Edge | S-Switch for Custom Display Profiles | Shield

Back