. Robin Hood
. The Duellists - Classic *
. Hannibal - Classic *
. The Assassination of Jesse James
. Out of the Furnace
. The Grey
. Child 44

2001 is the greatest sci fi movie ever made

and also the reason many of my parents generation are shit scared of technology.

Can I vote for only the first half of full metal jacket?

2001 is his best film IMO. It's not exactly fast paced or exciting, but quality wise it's his best. If I have to choose one to watch, it's The Shining.

I'm the FIRST one to vote for Paths of Glory??? C'mon Sherdog! I'm guessing at least 90% haven't seen it. This thread needs to be euthanized for shitposting.

I voted for it for the same reason I went with Rose over Joanna. It was fairly close, so I picked the one who was the underdog/underrated.

Also, do yourself a favor and watch The Killing. It was almost like a Pulp Fiction 40 years before and without this guy (Yeah, yeah..).

Barry Lyndon for me.

There is no wrong answer though. Unless you say Fear and Desire. That's a wrong answer. Other than that I've liked all his films.
Barry Lyndon is criminally underrated. Some people even say it sucks. I think Eyes Wise Shut is unfairly maligned as well. Last time I watched it, it was much better than I’d remembered. I’d put it top three even despite Tom Cruise being in the lead role.

Probably between 2OO1, Barry Lyndon and The Shining although everything from Strangelove onwards is great.

As far as Ridley Scott goes I think he was only working on Kurbricks level for his first 3/4 films, after that point he became more of a gun for hire, a very talented one but not with the same ambition.

Was about to say who the fuck chose Lolita, but then I saw, and it's OK

Reactions: Zer
Was about to say who the fuck chose Lolita, but then I saw, and it's OK

I was surprised to see it was me. I should've voted Paths of Glory. Although I like Kubrick's Lolita, and thought it was way better than the book

I was surprised to see it was me. I should've voted Paths of Glory. Although I like Kubrick's Lolita, and thought it was way better than the book
I like it too, it's a damn good movie.

Reactions: Zer
Most overrated director of all time, but my favourite of his films is Full Metal Jacket.

Here's a short 'Making of' of FMJ. I always loved how the second half of the movie was filmed in a derelict area of east London's Docklands, lol.

Hard to pick, voted Shinning due to the number of times I've watched it.
But love 2001 so much I've read 2010-2061-3001

The Killing doesn't get enough love, thought the ending was visually jaw dropping

Ridley Scott movies:
. Prometheus
. Blade Runner - Classic *
. Alien - Classic *
. Gladiator - Classic *
. Black Hawk Down
. Exodus Gods and Kings
. Kingdom of Heaven - Classic *
. Robin Hood
. The Duellists - Classic *
. Hannibal - Classic *
. The Assassination of Jesse James
. Out of the Furnace
. The Grey
. Child 44

The Assassination of Jesse James and Out of the Furnace are two very good movies that got no attention. Both had very good actors, Jesse James had a lot early in their careers to be fair, but Out of the Furnace was packed. I really though both movies were very good.

Back