best time to take muscle milk?

BJJ in Chicago

Livin' la vida bomba
Reaction score
first of all... i love muscle milk... i love the taste and i love the energy boost that I feel that I get from it... problem is... I haven't ever found a great time to take it...

when i take it in the mornings, I feel like i have a bit more energy during the day and its a great breakfast meal replacement..

but tonight I'm going to take it before I go to bed... i'll let you guys know if i feel good in the morning...

for those of you who are proponents of muscle milk, when do you normally take it and what do you suggest?

I don't take any other supplements, but I'm considering adding creatine into my supplements because I'd really love to boost muscle mass, but I'm scared the creatine will also make me gain size in areas i don't want it (stomach and face).

any help is appreciated!

youre a :eek::eek::eek: fcfighter

to the op, i might suggest taking it post-workout, but then again i dont really know whats in it so i cant really give you any input.

wenispinkle said:
youre a :eek::eek::eek: fcfighter

to the op, i might suggest taking it post-workout, but then again i dont really know whats in it so i cant really give you any input.

Then dont talk about it.... If it is a milk protein with cassein as i think you should take it before bed because cassein absorbes really slow and is a perfect nightprotein.

When you wake up, Post workout, and before bed. Thats the 3 times I take my protein shakes anyway. I'm about to start taking just energy greens in the morning and just 2 protein shakes a day prolly though... we'll see.

if your gonna take just it 1-2 times a day then post workout or before bed would be more beneficial than in the morning btw. ( I've also noticed since I started taking it before bed I have crazy dreams nowadays lol when I used to have hardly any... anyone else notice this? from the sweetners etc maybe? )

edit: O SNAP YELLOW BELT HIIIIYAHHHH!

I'll try to help you out with what I know.

Muscle Milk is good in the morning as replacement if you are not going to be lifting right after because milk effects performance. If you are using it as a meal replacement then it is good because Cassein Protein sticks and is slow absorption so it will be slowly digested. THis is also why it is good before bed because you want some sticky protein so you could recover when you sleep. As a general rule though, Whey before bed, Cassein any other time. Before you work out or exercise though you want to stay away from milk products.

Creatine I would recommend using a search function on this site for more in depth information. According to T-nation and reading about it though, I suggest taking it Post workout, 5 grams of it mixed with a sugary drink such as apple juice, orange juice or gatorade.

You could use the search function for more information or go to www.t-nation.com if you still need more information.

I wouldn't recommend Muscle Milk after workout because cassein protein is slowly digested and you need to absorb protein quick after working out. THat is why you need a whey protein, whey protein absorbs quickly, and as far as I know you want protein to be absorbed within an hour after working out.

i personally dont like it PWO
before bed or as a snack throughout the day its not to bad

I take it in the morning with furit and I take whey post work-outs...

You can take it before bed and it will work fine...You want gain wieght in place you don't want (or atleast that will not be the cause).....

FCFighter316 said:
lol n00b

take it b4 u sleep, but if ur taking ZMA (hint hint take ZMA n00b) u want to take ur zma 30-60 min before hand. And if you take flax seed (hint hint take flax oil nub) you'll wake up with a fine morning woody and dreams about Jenna Jameson having her way with you
This is really annoying, FCF.

As to the original poster, I'd follow Vulture's advice. The MCT's + Casein thing really fucks with my head, and it seems every bit of advice I have that is valid for one is invalid for the other.

For this reason, I say: chart your progress. If you like MM, if you know you're gonna stay with it, then schedule out 2 week blocks:

Block #1: PWO and Night
Block #2: Breakfast and PWO
Block #3: etc.

Basically, you're gonna have to live and learn. Figure out if it works for you. Realistically, that's the most scientific thing you could possibly do.

FCFighter316 said:
SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU BITCH ASS DICK FONDELING SALAD TOSSING SHLONG JOCKING TESTICLELESS MOTHERFUCKIN ASS GOBLIN KNOWLEDGELESS PEICE OF TRASH TALKING BALL JUGGLING TIGHT WAISTED MUSCLELESS DEFENSELESS person

u dont know shit about shit gettt outtaaa heeya

that was mature. way to throw every word you percieve as being "offensive" into the longest sentence your little mind could create. its just not complete though without you posting some ridiculous picture on there as well though, the same way you do with 99% of all your other special-ed posts. im sure youll now retort with one with a picture and another sentence that makes me think you just got out of middle school. feel free asshole.

sorry my thread turned into a flame war... relax guys.... thanks for the advice madmick, once I start working at the gym, I'll be able to work out hard every day and start blocking my progress... I'm thinking that I'm going to start with muscle milk before bed (I did it once and it gave me crazy dreams leaving me feelin tired... maybe thats just cause the t.v. was on. t.v. makes me have weird dreams too for some reason), and then creatine and whey at some other point throughout the day... im just praying that this will help me gain in size on my main muscles, but not in my midsection where im desperately trying to lose inches...

Team Dragonfire said:
sorry my thread turned into a flame war... relax guys.... thanks for the advice madmick, once I start working at the gym, I'll be able to work out hard every day and start blocking my progress... I'm thinking that I'm going to start with muscle milk before bed (I did it once and it gave me crazy dreams leaving me feelin tired... maybe thats just cause the t.v. was on. t.v. makes me have weird dreams too for some reason), and then creatine and whey at some other point throughout the day... im just praying that this will help me gain in size on my main muscles, but not in my midsection where im desperately trying to lose inches...

Creatine will not make you gain size on your stomach, toes, fingers, ears, wrists, or any other random part you are not lifting.

Creatine gets driven into your muscles along with water, making them bigger and more hydrated.

If you are desperately trying to lose inches on your waist, focus on creating a caloric defecit throughout the day. (burn more calories than you take in)

Tonyfish141 said:
...As a general rule though, Whey before bed, Cassein any other time. Before you work out or exercise though you want to stay away from milk products.

Acutally it would be better to take cassein protien before bed time because it will slowly be absorbed and therefore will keep on deliverying protein throughout the night.

Wolverine
///

i think you meant why PWO, casein any other time, and you definitely want casein before you go to sleep

Yea, sorry that was a typo, I did mean Whey PWO and cassein before bed and any other time really.

wenispinkle said:
that was mature. way to throw every word you percieve as being "offensive" into the longest sentence your little mind could create. its just not complete though without you posting some ridiculous picture on there as well though, the same way you do with 99% of all your other special-ed posts. im sure youll now retort with one with a picture and another sentence that makes me think you just got out of middle school. feel free asshole.

and what your going to try and be the knowsmorethen theknowitall who comes in and tries to make a witty looking post burning the guy being an idiot by mapping out what hes doing in simple terms oh my god your like the coolest ever oh wait your just prepetuating the bullshit... stop talking. If fcfighter is going to smoke weed and go nuts let him, what makes it worse isnt fcfighter its guys like you that get all upset and cry about it.

Muscle Milk has a mix of isolate and concentrate in addition to the casein so why wouldn

Bman said:
and what your going to try and be the knowsmorethen theknowitall who comes in and tries to make a witty looking post burning the guy being an idiot by mapping out what hes doing in simple terms oh my god your like the coolest ever oh wait your just prepetuating the bullshit... stop talking. If fcfighter is going to smoke weed and go nuts let him, what makes it worse isnt fcfighter its guys like you that get all upset and cry about it.

i didnt understand half of what you said, but lesson learned, ill be an asshole in order to be better accepted here. :)

ill be in the grappling forum.

Back