Best UFC LW prospect?

UFC is pretty bad at signing prospects unfortunately. There's no exciting Lightweight prospects in the UFC on my radar. Islam is okay, I've never been that impressed by him and Tibau is beyond washed up, that win means nothing.

Uhm Mairbeck Taisumov, Islam Makhaev, Gregor Gillespie, David Teymur, Gilbert Burns, Lando Vannata, Magomed Mustafaev.

Yea no prospects troll

There isn't really room at LW for prospects. If you don't have a complete skillset you're going to drown. That's why most guys are like 28-32.

David Teymur or Makhachev. Nasrat Haqparast looked really good and he's 22 or 23, that's impressive. Northcutt is promising too, idk why he gets so much hate. Dude is huge to LW, has legit striking background and trains with a good team, should develop fast and his potential is up there with the best prospects at MMA.

Last edited:
Teymur is mediocre, injury prone and doesn't fight often.
Why injury prone? And well he fought twice in the 2 years he's been at UFC, that's the average activity of UFC fighters, 3 or more fights every year isn't that common, it's something just the most active guys does. Disagree with your opinion about him being mediocre but whatever, maybe we just have different standards.

Btw, he beat 2 prospects that people are listing here in Vannata and Klose. Great wins, looked good to me, but again, that's depends of your standard for "good", "mediocre" etc

Erick Silva is a young hit prospect.
Oh wait.. He is at welterweight

Gregor and Lando. People forget that Lando is only 25, younger than Holloway even. And like Holloway, he was thrown to the wolves early,so people don't realize how much they progress and will continue to progress. If Lando was built up like Gregor, people would be slobbing his knob so hard right now: a D1 wrestler that has only been striking for a few years and is one of the most creative strikers we have ever seen....not to men tion, every fight he has is a FOTY candidate. Let's keep in mind where Holloway was in his 4th UFC fight.

Khabilov is old and not a prospect anymore, he was about 5 years ago.

Bobby Green has been around forever and isn't a prospect.

Joe Duffy is almost 30 and has fallen short both times he was given the opportunity to break the top 10...also not a prospect.

Diakiese is looking a bit like a dud and lost to a mediocre prospect. Diakiese is one of the few guys Ive had my eyes on though.

Teymur is mediocre, injury prone and doesn't fight often.

Vannata has lost a lot, has bad cardio, takes tons of damage, said he wants to retire by 30 and has not shown any ability to fix his own Holes. Sort of over the groovy hype.

Mairbek is 29 and has 30 professional fights, he's not a prospect either (pretty sure you don't know what a prospect is). Mairbek is awesome but years of his prime have already been sidelined due to visa issues and Americans like Jim Miller, Anthony Pettis etc will not fight him in Europe when given the contracts.

Drakkar Klose doesnt impressive me much either, there's better prospects outside the UFC.
I meant Desmond Green. What exactly defines a prospect then? Cause everyone is praising Islam but he got one punch slept by Adriano Martins not too long ago who also just got one punch slept by Kajan Johnson of all people. And I really cant take you serious if you think Teymur is mediocre. The guy has only had 8 pro fights and is already 4-0 in UFC and a top 20-25 LW. To me, a prospect is a fighter who has potential to be ranked one day or contend for the title. All the guys Ive listed have potential to be top 15 at some point. Number of fights doesn't matter.. The definition of prospect is someone who is likely to succeed in the future. Move along now my son.

David Teymur or Makhachev. Nasrat Haqparast looked really good and he's 22 or 23, that's impressive. Northcutt is promising too, idk why he gets so much hate. Dude is huge to LW, has legit striking background and trains with a good team, should develop fast and his potential is up there with the best prospects at MMA.
I thought Lando showed way more upside than Teymur in that fight, considering he was only 24 and lost the fight owing to gassing, which is a very fixable flaw. Like you bring up with Sage, we often do not take into account prospect's ages and their capacity for growth. With Lando, one of the most interesting things is that he just learned how to strike a few years ago and has made mindblowing progress in short periods, much like Bones did. Young fighters can improve much more than old fighters and you can not teach creativity and flow.

I meant Desmond Green. What exactly defines a prospect then? Cause everyone is praising Islam but he got one punch slept by Adriano Martins not too long ago who also just got one punch slept by Kajan Johnson of all people. And I really cant take you serious if you think Teymur is mediocre. The guy has only had 8 pro fights and is already 4-0 in UFC and a top 20-25 LW. To me, a prospect is a fighter who has potential to be ranked one day or contend for the title. All the guys Ive listed have potential to be top 15 at some point. Number of fights doesn't matter.. The definition of prospect is someone who is likely to succeed in the future. Move along now my son.
And with Makhachev, it was only his second UFC fight and he was like 23 years old. Since then, he ragdolled Nik Lentz and KO'd Tibau, and the only people that finish Tibau are champion tier fighters.

Anyone that says Makhachev does not have super prospect status is a fool. Let's not forget where Conor McGregor was at when he was 23: getting tapped by no name flyweights.

I thought Lando showed way more upside than Teymur in that fight, considering he was only 24 and lost the fight owing to gassing, which is a very fixable flaw. Like you bring up with Sage, we often do not take into account prospect's ages and their capacity for growth. With Lando, one of the most interesting things is that he just learned how to strike a few years ago and has made mindblowing progress in short periods, much like Bones did. Young fighters can improve much more than old fighters and you can not teach creativity and flow.
I agree with your overall point about prospects age and room to improvements, but the problem i see with Lando is man.. he gets hit A LOT, and EVERY fucking fight. He won't go far with that style, it's fun to watch? Definitely, but try to fight like that against some heavy hitters like Taisumov, Pichel and Dober (outside top 15) and he's going to sleep, or at least getting some career-threatening damage. He lacks a lot of fundamental defense, but that's something he could work, i just don't see him trying.

And i just watched that fight 1x but i'm pretty sure i had Teymur 30-27, yeah the first round was close but Teymur had the most effective and clean shots, Lando tries too much flashy stuff that usually turns out to be useless against more traditional strikers like Teymur (can you imagine a Teymur-Diakiese fight).

Desmond Green is fucking legit. As a brazilian fan of Prazeres, i'm worried for him. I think Green's size advantage should make the difference and stop Prazeres of getting a takedown, and on the feet i don't see how Green could lose, that Khabilov fight was as close as it gets.

About Martins.. yeah he lost in a embarassing way in his last fight but he is very good too, not the most fun to watch fighter, but his style is effective, had a close fight with a beast of grappler in Leo Santos and beat Khabilov aswell.

I agree with your overall point about prospects age and room to improvements, but the problem i see with Lando is man.. he gets hit A LOT, and EVERY fucking fight. He won't go far with that style, it's fun to watch? Definitely, but try to fight like that against some heavy hitters like Taisumov, Pichel and Dober (outside top 15) and he's going to sleep, or at least getting some career-threatening damage. He lacks a lot of fundamental defense, but that's something he could work, i just don't see him trying.

And i just watched that fight 1x but i'm pretty sure i had Teymur 30-27, yeah the first round was close but Teymur had the most effective and clean shots, Lando tries too much flashy stuff that usually turns out to be useless against more traditional strikers like Teymur (can you imagine a Teymur-Diakiese fight).
He does get hit a lot, but after he gasses. If you look at his fight vs Tony, he showed some of the slickest head movement and defense I have ever seen in the octagon in the first. As we saw with Conor from UFC 196 to 202, gas can be increased, but skills are much harder to increase and the one thing that is pretty much impossible top increase is creativity.

And also, the reason he lacks these fundamentals is the same reason Holloway lacked a ground game when he came into the UFC: he just started doing it. The fact that Lando was so highly regarded (called future champ by Jackson's before he made his octagon debut) is the unfortunate reason why he has not been able to get some bum fights under his belt and was thrown straight to the deep end. I think the Green fight was also illustrative that atleast his gas tank is getting a little better and he is figuring out how to implement his wrestling when he needs to. The Teymur fight seemed like Lando really fell in love with his hype and gassed in a similar fashion to how Conor gassed at 196, thought he would go in there and finish his opponent in minutes and then when that did not happen, he had nothing left and was a sitting target.

Plus, Jackson's is the place to be to fix fighter's holes. You really could not ask for a better camp for a young fighter.

He does get hit a lot, but after he gasses. If you look at his fight vs Tony, he showed some of the slickest head movement and defense I have ever seen in the octagon in the first. As we saw with Conor from UFC 196 to 202, gas can be increased, but skills are much harder to increase and the one thing that is pretty much impossible top increase is creativity.

And also, the reason he lacks these fundamentals is the same reason Holloway lacked a ground game when he came into the UFC: he just started doing it. The fact that Lando was so highly regarded (called future champ by Jackson's before he made his octagon debut) is the unfortunate reason why he has not been able to get some bum fights under his belt and was thrown straight to the deep end. I think the Green fight was also illustrative that atleast his gas tank is getting a little better and he is figuring out how to implement his wrestling when he needs to. The Teymur fight seemed like Lando really fell in love with his hype and gassed in a similar fashion to how Conor gassed at 196, thought he would go in there and finish his opponent in minutes and then when that did not happen, he had nothing left and was a sitting target.

Plus, Jackson's is the place to be to fix fighter's holes. You really could not ask for a better camp for a young fighter.
Agree with everything said, but i didn't see much evolution from the Teymur fight to the Green one.

He rocked Green many times, and for real, to be honest i don't know how Green survived there, he definitely has a great chin and a lot of heart.

I hope Lando improves aswell, always brings it, war Groovy

:meow:

He will get better with his trash talk as well as he matures. After all, he has so many great men to emulate.

Definitely, there are so many huge personalities who have fought, or are still fighting. The trash talk has come a long way since "I want to fuck...fight Chuck!"

Islam has potential. Huge. I hope the UFC don't rush him though.

And he has Allah on his side.

He has it all.
Well why do you think UFC shouldn't rush him? I've seen Russian people compares him and Kevin Lee - like Islam is older, but Lee is a top UFC fighter who fought for a belt while Islam is becoming Russian Erick Silva - people/his coach talks about how he is a bright prospect for years, but he doesn't have any significant wins/impact to the division (I've seen that stuff said about him before fight with Tibau), plus, he had problen with USADA, was KO'ed (yeah, Lee lost by KO too but Lee lost to a guy who is unbeaten in UFC and opponent of Makhachev is cut by UFC), many people don't like his style based on wrestling. And this stuff I've read before fight with Tibau don't know if anything changed.
Personally I think he will be like a better Khabilov - will win some fights against unranked guys and gatekeepers but will lose to the majority of top 15.

Desmond green? Lol.

yea, you know, the same guy that beat Josh Emmett last year. The same one that arguably won against Khabilov too. Do you know what a prospect is yet?

I know what a prospect is and Desmond Green ain't it. 7 years and 26 fights into your professional career, you sort of stop being a prospect. He's lost to a lot of non top 10 guys already, beating Emmett at 155 means fuck all, what did Emmett show us at Lightweight for us to be impressed by that split decision?

I know what a prospect is and Desmond Green ain't it. 7 years and 26 fights into your professional career, you sort of stop being a prospect. He's lost to a lot of non top 10 guys already, beating Emmett at 155 means fuck all, what did Emmett show us at Lightweight for us to be impressed by that split decision?
look at the definition of a prospect. Its textbook definition is someone who will succeed in the future. You dont need X number of fights or less to be considered a prospect.

Back