Best weight division system

UpInThis

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I often have a beef with the weight divisions in combat sports... In boxing, there are too many divisions, seperated by a number of pounds that no true fighter should worry about. In UFC, it is better, but still far from perfect.

Also, pounds... Only USA, Myanmar and one random African country uses pounds. Why the fuck can't we just go by kilo, like the rest of the world?

This weight system, used by Kunlun for kickboxing matches, is probably the best weight division system I have ever seen:

Flyweight: 50 kg
Lightweight: 55 kg
Super lightweight: 60 kg
Welterweight: 65 kg
Super welterweight: 70 kg
Middleweight: 75 kg
Super middleweight: 80 kg
Cruiserweight: 90 kg
Heavyweight: 100 kg
Super heavyweight: Unlimited

The only thing I have a problem with is the stupid naming system. The numbers are perfect, but the names should be:

Atomweight: 50 kg
Strawweight: 55 kg
Flyweight: 60 kg
Bantamweight: 65 kg
Featherweight: 70 kg
Lightweight: 75 kg
Welterweight: 80 kg
Middleweight: 90 kg
Cruiserweight: 100 kg
Heavyweight: Unlimited

Basically, if Kunlun used the 10 typical division names, instead of repititions with words like "super", it simply couldn't get any better in any way.

Can we add one more between 100- 120kg weight class?

Edit:

Even 115 works for me actually

Nah

<150 lightweight
<170 welterweight
<200 middleweight
>200 heavyweight

Boom

Too many weight divisions. If you're too small for a division gain muscle. If you're too big. Cut down. Simple. We don't need this lazy ass millennial philosophy of everyone gets a trophy.

Too many weight divisions. If you're too small for a division gain muscle. If you're too big. Cut down. Simple. We don't need this lazy ass millennial philosophy of everyone gets a trophy.

Do you feel that this would be too many?

I think 10 is just fine. We only need to cover what's between 50 and 100 (no weight divisions make sense beneath 50 and above 100). Kunlun did it in a logical way that I can't imagine being done better.

Two weightclasses

Male openweight
Female openweight

Boom

The weight classes are fine as they are, it’s weight CUTTING that is the problem.

Problem is the more belts there are the more title fights they can sell. I mean look at boxing.

I have always been for more upper weight classes, so I am with you TS and with everyone who agrees with you.

Just copy boxing, it's what they should have done in the first place but stick with the original weight classes + cruiser

Flyweight: 112 lbs
Bantamweight: 118
Featherweight: 126
Lightweight: 135
Welterweight: 147
Middleweight: 160
Light Heavyweight: 175
Cruiserweight: 200
Heavyweight: (unlimited)

Dropping the bottom 2 is fine.

I think the weight classes are perfect actually. We just need time for more talent to flesh out the weaker ones. And LMAO why so triggered over using pounds? The UFC is an American company with most of their events held in America for mostly American fans and most Americans dont know wtf a kilogram is.

Problem is the more belts there are the more title fights they can sell. I mean look at boxing.

With that mindset, you may aswell have multiple belts per division then if more belts = more fights to sell. Just like boxing....

Already pretty much there with Conor / Khabib / Tony all pretty much being champions without fighting eachother

With that mindset, you may aswell have multiple belts per division then if more belts = more fights to sell. Just like boxing....

Already pretty much there with Conor / Khabib / Tony all pretty much being champions without fighting eachother
Interim interim champions are next

Unfortunately those in power believe the American public can’t grasp the concept of the decimal point. That’s why they have not adopted the metric system.

But their military was using it during the Vietnam War. And the scientific communities including medicine also use the metric system.

It’s a real head shaker for sure. Especially the random units of measure.

Growing up with metric measurements, and then relocating to the U.S. was an adjustment for sure. Now I just run it imperial measurements through my head to come up with the metric equivalent.

I’ll never understand why they don’t switch though. 10 of this equals that. Ten of that equals a new that. And ten of those equal ...

12” to a foot. 3 feet to a yard. 5280 feet equal a mile. 1760 yards equal a mile. How that fuck does that make sense compared to a decimal system. Or system of tens ?

Judo weightclasses:
+100
+90
+81
+73
+66
+60

The best system EVA

Do you feel that this would be too many?

I think 10 is just fine. We only need to cover what's between 50 and 100 (no weight divisions make sense beneath 50 and above 100). Kunlun did it in a logical way that I can't imagine being done better.

Why do we need 5kg increments? Why not 10? If a guy is too small for a weight class, just gain some size. That's what athletes have to do in every other sport, but in fight sports they just keep cutting until they're big for the division.

I still see no problem with:

60kg 70kg, 80kg, 95kg, 95kg+

Why do we need 5kg increments? Why not 10? If a guy is too small for a weight class, just gain some size. That's what athletes have to do in every other sport, but in fight sports they just keep cutting until they're big for the division.

I still see no problem with:

60kg 70kg, 80kg, 95kg, 95kg+

Would you really like THAT few weight divisions? I think 5 between each is fine up to 80. 5 kg keeps staying relevant up to that point.

You do realize the units being used to weigh do not matter. Pounds can be converted to Kg and all is fine and intelligible.

Back