Best wired Xbox controller for PC

90 50

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
been thinking about getting a wired Xbox controller for my PC.

Haven’t looked into it yet all my Xbox one controllers are wireless and even when I plug them in and turn them on they connect to my Xbox and won’t work on the pc.

I have an old ass 360 controller that’s wired that would be fine if the wire wasn’t fugged up and disconnects at the worst times.

I’m guessing any 1/2 decent wired one controller from GameStop etc should be fine.

Any thoughts?

I have wrist issues and playing wasd is better, but after an hour or so it hurts to bad to keep going. So I don’t get to play my pc games as long as I would like.

I basically fugged my wrist up playing doom and quake way the f to much back in the day, and had to go controller back then too.

I remember having that problem at first. What you need to do is connect the controller to your PC with a USB cable. It will then forget the console pairing. From there, you can pair with your PC or just keep the USB cable connected and play it wired.

I recommend getting the Xbox USB wireless dongle. It works flawlessly. Bluetooth is a pain to get to work right on it.

I remember having that problem at first. What you need to do is connect the controller to your PC with a USB cable. It will then forget the console pairing. From there, you can pair with your PC or just keep the USB cable connected and play it wired.

I recommend getting the Xbox USB wireless dongle. It works flawlessly. Bluetooth is a pain to get to work right on it.
I did connect it with a cable, it kept turning on The Xbox, and i don’t want to deal with having to repair it and shit.

I just want a wired controller that works for my pc, which is in my office. The Xbox is in the living room.

I keep the controller in a basket under the coffee table. I like being able to grab it and turn the box on when wanted.

I use a DS4
I like Xbox controllers. Plus i have Windows 10xbox on my pc also.

I had an old PS copy controller on an old pc way back that’s what I had to go to when my wrists started hurting too bad playing quake non stop lol.

I did connect it with a cable, it kept turning on The Xbox, and i don’t want to deal with having to repair it and shit.

I just want a wired controller that works for my pc, which is in my office. The Xbox is in the living room.

I keep the controller in a basket under the coffee table. I like being able to grab it and turn the box on when wanted.

Your best bet is an Xbox 360 controller then. Virtually every PC game recognizes the 360 controller and gives you the proper mapping and buttons. You want something that Windows/games detect as "Xinput" and most games are programmed with that in mind. Controllers like the PS4 won't be recognized properly in older games.

74-103-521-07.jpg

The Elite controller is the best I've ever used.

First, the USB cable you are using must be able to carry a charge. So test it with a phone attached to the PC. If it doesn't charge the phone, showing the charging symbol, then you are using a data-only USB cord, and that is why this isn't working.

Second, if that alone doesn't work, you may have to activate a pairing mode by pressing and holding the special pairing button. The cable connection isn't supposed to be required for Xbox One controllers, but it may be necessary as part of this step to re-pair the Xbox One controller to the PC instead of its Xbox One. The controller can only be paired to one or the other. So if it is turning on the Xbox, then you didn't successfully pair it with the PC. The downside to this, obviously, is that you can't easily use the same controller for both platforms. The PC wants its own dedicated controller.

For Dualshock controllers the cord is necessary to create this pairing between the controller and PC using third-party software. For Xbox controllers their drivers should handle everything, but if you aren't running Windows 10, then you need the cable to update the controller drivers. That's the last section here:
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/accessories/connect-xbox-one-controller-to-pc

74-103-521-07.jpg

The Elite controller is the best I've ever used.
This. Its one of those strange products that seems way overpriced until you use it. The weight, the feel and options are basically perfect imo. I've been using that controller on xbox and PC for a couple years now and if it broke I would buy another post haste. If you got the money, you won't be disappointed.

+1 for ps4 controller here.

If you plan on playing any fighting games, the location of the D-pad on the xbox controller just absolutely sucks. Using a bluetooth dongle solved pretty much all the problems of using a playstation device on microsoft OS as well.

If you're hellbent on playing with a XB controller though, I'd probably just endorse getting an official XBone controller - they're really not that expensive any more. I've used a lot of offbrand controllers and while they feel fine at first (usually a lot, lot lighter though), they're responsiveness in some area usually goes to shit in a few weeks.

Like this one for example:
https://www.amazon.com/PowerA-Wired...r=8-19&keywords=xbox+wired+controller+pc&th=1

Seemed okay at first, but seemed very slow to respond after just a month or so. Like, I'd sit in training mode with the virtual controller on to see my inputs and they weren't coming out right.

First, the USB cable you are using must be able to carry a charge. So test it with a phone attached to the PC. If it doesn't charge the phone, showing the charging symbol, then you are using a data-only USB cord, and that is why this isn't working.

Second, if that alone doesn't work, you may have to activate a pairing mode by pressing and holding the special pairing button. The cable connection isn't supposed to be required for Xbox One controllers, but it may be necessary as part of this step to re-pair the Xbox One controller to the PC instead of its Xbox One. The controller can only be paired to one or the other. So if it is turning on the Xbox, then you didn't successfully pair it with the PC. The downside to this, obviously, is that you can't easily use the same controller for both platforms. The PC wants its own dedicated controller.

For Dualshock controllers the cord is necessary to create this pairing between the controller and PC using third-party software. For Xbox controllers their drivers should handle everything, but if you aren't running Windows 10, then you need the cable to update the controller drivers. That's the last section here:
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/accessories/connect-xbox-one-controller-to-pc
The cord does allow charging, it charges the rechargeable battery packs I have in the controllers when plugged into the PC.

It is windows 10(hence playing Xbox games on my PC through Xbox for Windows 10)

But in hind sight i don’t want to be pairing and unparing the controller from PC and Xbox so just getting a dedicated wired controller is probubaly best bet.

Just need to decide on a wired 360 controller or one controller.

I might end up needing both, if some PC games would work better with a 360 controller and some games on Xbox for Windows prefer the one for better optimization.

Since carpal tunnel and wrist surgery is out of the question so I don’t cramp and hurt so bad after a short time with Wasd

Planetside with a controller should be interesting how much harder it gets lol. If a controller even works on that game??

+1 for ps4 controller here.

If you plan on playing any fighting games, the location of the D-pad on the xbox controller just absolutely sucks. Using a bluetooth dongle solved pretty much all the problems of using a playstation device on microsoft OS as well.

If you're hellbent on playing with a XB controller though, I'd probably just endorse getting an official XBone controller - they're really not that expensive any more. I've used a lot of offbrand controllers and while they feel fine at first (usually a lot, lot lighter though), they're responsiveness in some area usually goes to shit in a few weeks.

Like this one for example:
https://www.amazon.com/PowerA-Wired-Controller-Xbox-One-White/dp/B01E38YIJI/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1541273207&sr=8-19&keywords=xbox+wired+controller+pc&th=1

Seemed okay at first, but seemed very slow to respond after just a month or so. Like, I'd sit in training mode with the virtual controller on to see my inputs and they weren't coming out right.
I much prefer a 360 or one controller ergonomics over PS controllers especially due to time spent with them over the last decade almost.

The cord does allow charging, it charges the rechargeable battery packs I have in the controllers when plugged into the PC.

It is windows 10(hence playing Xbox games on my PC through Xbox for Windows 10)

But in hind sight i don’t want to be pairing and unparing the controller from PC and Xbox so just getting a dedicated wired controller is probubaly best bet.

Just need to decide on a wired 360 controller or one controller.

I might end up needing both, if some PC games would work better with a 360 controller and some games on Xbox for Windows prefer the one for better optimization.

Since carpal tunnel and wrist surgery is out of the question so I don’t cramp and hurt so bad after a short time with Wasd

Planetside with a controller should be interesting how much harder it gets lol. If a controller even works on that game??
Excuse me, I meant to say that the other way around.

It has to be able to carry data, not just a charge. For example, I have USB cords that will charge my controllers, but if i use them to connect my Android phone to my PC, my phone won't be detected, or won't be able to transmit data to the phone. If the computer can't transmit data to the controller, then it can't communicate with the controller, and it certainly can't update their drivers.

Test the cords to see if they can transfer files between a phone and a computer. That's what you want.

Excuse me, I meant to say that the other way around.

It has to be able to carry data, not just a charge. For example, I have USB cords that will charge my controllers, but if i use them to connect my Android phone to my PC, my phone won't be detected, or won't be able to transmit data to the phone. If the computer can't transmit data to the controller, then it can't communicate with the controller, and it certainly can't update their drivers.

Test the cords to see if they can transfer files between a phone and a computer. That's what you want.
They transfer data also, been using them for a while now.

Was the computer already on before plugging in the controller? Did the computer have some time to recognize the controller was plugged in and get the drivers etc. setup?

When I switch the PS3 controller back to the PS3, I have to turn on the PS3 via the PS3 console power button while the USB cable is connected rather than turning on PS3 via controller button.

The XB1 controller is superior to the 360 controller, the sticks move much more smoothly.

I just picked up a Hori FPS going to give it some play tonight.

hori-pad-fps-plus-blue-426425.6.jpg

Will be using it on PC as well as PS3 as this has compatibility for both PS4/3.

Update:

Don't buy this for PC. I'm having all kinds of issues and wish I just got another DS4. D-pad on DS4 is WAY better too. Guess I need to buy some FPS PS3 games to get some use out of it.

Full compatibility w/PS3? I read Gran Turismo 6 on PS3 can't use the PS4 controller for actual gameplay. HORI is good quality.

Full compatibility w/PS3? I read Gran Turismo 6 on PS3 can't use the PS4 controller for actual gameplay. HORI is good quality.
It has a toggle to switch between PS4 and PS3. For some reason PC just seeing it as a PS3 tho and controller emulators aren't picking it up. I'll play with it a bit more but so far disappointed. Hori is solid and I have two of their fightsticks.

I can see this being a good controller for gran tourismo 6 for ps3 tho I need to pick that up. I can see this being good for PS4 and PS3 shooters.

Back