Best WWE wrestlers that have never been in a good storyline

TheBrownRanger

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Is there any wrestlers that had talent, but just weren't given the proper story for them to really develop? Wrestlers are only as good as the stories they are involved in. Of course, there's probably not going to be a lot of main eventers on this list.

Ultimo Dragon - WWE clearly didn't know what to do with him. He was involved in title runs for the United States and Cruiserweight titles. However, he was never put into a program with anyone and was just sorta there. His most well-known moment is tripping during his entrance at Mania.

Sean O'Haire - Maybe not the best option as the Invasion did have a lot of interest surrounding it, even to this day. However, since O'Haire was simply a foot soldier in the Alliance, I'll put him in. In 2003, his Devil's Advocate character could have taken off, but was only put in squash matches and some lame feud with Mr. America (Hulk Hogan with a mask). Very talented in the ring. Mostly known for being in Here Comes The Pain.

TJP - Every story TJP has been in also involved Rich Swann, somehow. They had one of those weird friendship/rivalries for like a year. Pretty generic stuff. He was somewhat involved in Enzo's rise on 205 Live. However, he was simply insulted by Enzo and the two never crossed paths again.

I vaguely remember being really excited for Ultimo Dragon as a teenager. He impressed the hell out of me in his first few matches and then...disappeared. He came, had a few good matches with Rey Mysterio and then left, it seemed. Never had his name dragged through the mud, which is a plus.

I’d probably say DDP. His angle with Undertaker was a travesty and considering how well he did during WCW, his smiling gimmick was funny but also an insult. Older wrestler or not, he deserved more.

+DDP was sooooooooooo underused in WWE, it was a crime.

+Dusty Rhodes is another one...Former NWA Champ, Loved by Fans....then turned into a Mid-Card, Polka-Dot Cartoon Character in WWE.

+Chuck Palumbo: WWE goofed on his talent as well...He could have been much bigger than just being involved in an alleged "gay relationship" storyline.

+Steiner Brothers: Arguably Top 3 Tag Team of All Time, and WWE had no clue what to do with them. They were largely involved with feuds with "The Headbangers," when this was main event talent at that time, sent to mid-card level at best. Best I remember, this was around 93-95, and I doubt many fans ever know they left WCW to go to WWE back then.

+Dusty Rhodes is another one...Former NWA Champ, Loved by Fans....then turned into a Mid-Card, Polka-Dot Cartoon Character in WWE.

+Chuck Palumbo: WWE goofed on his talent as well...He could have been much bigger than just being involved in an alleged "gay relationship" storyline.

+Steiner Brothers: Arguably Top 3 Tag Team of All Time, and WWE had no clue what to do with them. They were largely involved with feuds with "The Headbangers," when this was main event talent at that time, sent to mid-card level at best. Best I remember, this was around 93-95, and I doubt many fans ever know they left WCW to go to WWE back then.

Agreed on DDP. Dusty was definitely not used properly in WWE but he was given some good storylines with Savage and Dibiase during his run there. Dusty wasn’t gonna be champ while Hogan was running the show then, so he was destined for the upper midcard position he was in. And the Steiners.....yeah I don’t know what happened there. That doesn’t make any sense in hindsight.

Bray Wyatt x 1,000

He's been reduced to an utter mockery of what he should have been.

It's a damn shame, too, because a guy like that, with a truly original gimmick like that, only comes along once in a blue moon.

That gimmick was so over, and the storytelling potential was so great... WWE just didn't want such a "weird" (aka, actually interesting) guy to be pushed too seriously. Simple as that.

Bullet/ Balor Club is a real disappointment compared to what it could have been. We'll see how they utilize them now that Gallows and Anderson are officially with Finn. I'm not holding my breath for good things, though.

I just don't think WWE will ever commit to an invasion angle enough to do it right.

Last edited:

<DCrying>

I found it hard to pick someone for this, maybe Albert I guess. The guy always ended up the butt of jokes or a lacky. Prince Albert, T and A, random stable with x-pac, A-Train, Lord Tensai, Brodus Clay's dance partner. That's a lot of crap right there for someone who looks like that and can go.

Alberto Del Rio
Cesaro
DDP
Goldberg first run - criminal, as bad as Hart in WCW
Dusty
Most of the Invasion dudes
Big Nak
Good Brothers
Ascension
Austin Aries
Sting
That Jack Strow pirate dude who I can’t remember but everybody says is a really good wrestler

and fuck Bray, he was always a rambling bullshit Taker 2.0

I'll just mention Matt Hardy as someone who created his own red-hot storyline, which has turned into a joke.

Both Hardy and Bray should be doing killer promos and semi-decent matches right now. Instead it's the opposite.

I'll just mention Matt Hardy as someone who created his own red-hot storyline, which has turned into a joke.

Both Hardy and Bray should be doing killer promos and semi-decent matches right now. Instead it's the opposite.

Second time around for Matt, too. The version 1.0 bit was really novel and entertaining but brother spotmonkey got the world title.

Steamboat’s early 90s return as The Dragon. Nothing happened and he went back to WCW to win a TV, US and Tag title. He had plenty left in the tank but WWF let it get squandered.

The same can be said about Terry Funks mid late 80s run

Bullet/ Balor Club is a real disappointment compared to what it could have been. We'll see how they utilize them now that Gallows and Anderson are officially with Finn. I'm not holding my breath for good things, though.

letting gallows and anderson squash the arn anderson's on the 25th anniversary raw is a nice start. of course, that could be undone during the rumble kick off show.

Steamboat’s early 90s return as The Dragon. Nothing happened and he went back to WCW to win a TV, US and Tag title. He had plenty left in the tank but WWF let it get squandered.

the same time they did that with steamboat they had tony atlas as saba simba *cringe*. around they same time they introduced shit characters like battle kat.

That Jack Strow pirate dude who I can’t remember but everybody says is a really good wrestler
Paul Burchill, not only did he get that pirate gimmick but they were going towards him messing around with his sister/manager with that gimmick. Him and Nick Densmore/Eugene were a huge deal in the regional WWE minors and then both got brought up to the main roster.

TJP - Every story TJP has been in also involved Rich Swann, somehow. They had one of those weird friendship/rivalries for like a year. Pretty generic stuff. He was somewhat involved in Enzo's rise on 205 Live. However, he was simply insulted by Enzo and the two never crossed paths again.

Heavily disagree on you with this one. He won the cruiser classic and was the first champ of the new cruiserweight era. He had everything he needed. WWE backed him and he had by far the best intro of ANY cruiser to date....in my opinion, he killed his own momentum. He was supposed to start as a face but for some reason he became extremely unlikeable, and that STUPID dab was AWFUL

Heavily disagree on you with this one. He won the cruiser classic and was the first champ of the new cruiserweight era. He had everything he needed. WWE backed him and he had by far the best intro of ANY cruiser to date....in my opinion, he killed his own momentum. He was supposed to start as a face but for some reason he became extremely unlikeable, and that STUPID dab was AWFUL
Yes, but the CWC is not really a storyline, it was just a tournament. TJP's matches in the CWC tournament had no storyline whatsoever, it was just wrestling. Even if we were to count him winning the championship as a storyline, it only lasted a little over a month as he lost it to Brian Kendrick and that was that.

His subsequent storylines were the "frienemy" rivalry with Swann and getting cucked by Neville for the title.

the same time they did that with steamboat they had tony atlas as saba simba *cringe*. around they same time they introduced shit characters like battle kat.
At least Atlas got a program with Akeem lol. I honestly don’t remember ANYTHING done with Steamboat

Back