Better GTA: Vice City or San Andreas

San Andreas sets the gameplay standard pretty high. The things you could do in that game were ridiculous at the time. That said, I've played more hours of Vice City than any other GTA. I love the scenery, the music, the story, the entire feel of it.

I prefer San Andreas,
These two games are always brought up when I'm talking to GTA fans and the vote is almost always split. Most people think it was Vice City that really kicked the franchise into gear making it what it is today. While some believe San Andreas was the REAL show starter given how they upped the ante on just about all the things an open world game can give you.

So, which do you prefer? Which had the better soundtrack? Which game had the better lead character? Better storyline? Better gameplay?
If I had to choose I would pick San Andreas but I feel both games are amazing. I can't really say 1 is better than the other. I choose San Andreas because it's bigger with more things to see and do.

I played Vice city so damn much I still cant get into another GTA game

San Andreas let you do more, so in terms of pure gameplay, it's probably the better one. However, Vice City's setting, themes, and music is friggin' fantastic. San Andreas' RPG elements of gaining and losing weight/muscle and making sure to feed C.J. loses points for me. I'd have to give the edge to Vice City.

San Andreas. Vice City was a great game, but it seemed like more of a reskin of 3 with some tweaked physics and new music. San Andreas was massive in comparison.

My kids prefer San Andreas. They love Vice City's soundtrack though. I thank that game for introducing them to 80s music.

To me its exactly the contrary i love san andreas soundtrack but i prefer VC for the story

I think Vice City had the better radio and characters/plot, but San Andreas obv had the better world. Tough call between the two but I guess I'd have to go for Vice City as the overall package

the radio talk pressing issues lmao with that thing

I first played San Andreas and loved it!

Then I played Vice City and fell in love. It’s one of my most favourite games. I love driving around at night in a fast car listening to 80s hits, driving into the beach and watching the sun rise over the water.

Or going to my mansion and shooting my own guys and stealing their money.

Driving my ice cream truck to sell drugs lol.

Would be perfect if I didn’t drown every time I touch water. Then again I’ve purposely drowned myself a lot just so the cops couldn’t get me lol.

SA just for the sheer size if it.

Las Ventura's and San Fierro and jet packs made that game.

San Andreas is when I really started listening to rap and hip hop. Thank you Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg.

It's like I finally got it. Rolling through baller territory as CJ with Deep cover playing. Boom.

Last edited:
Rockstar usually makes their following game better whether it's a different series or not, and that goes for SA as well in terms of scope and gameplay improvements.

But VC is just a better package, despite being smaller. More fun missions. More immersive setting and the soundtrack was pure awesomeness. Also the Tony Montana references and vibes. But we're comparing 10's here, so it's preference. A Vice City remake though tops the list of all, which tells a lot about the quality of that game.

I guess it depends how I want to play GTA. I'd put the story / missions of vice city slightly ahead, but San Andreas had the much better map for dicking about in free-roam.

Vice City since the GTA franchise still seemed very fresh plus the 80s soundtrack adds vaule to the game. They need to bring the GTA series back to the 80s setting

The writing and story and setting of Vice City, combined with the voice acting of Ray Liotta were incredible. Also the soundtrack and how it meshed with the game. San Andreas was ambitious, perhaps overly so. I don't even think I finished that game. Don't get me wrong, it was great, but Vice City was a better experience for me.

Back