Better progression - more decorated coaches or more private lessons?

Hatake88

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hi all

I am looking to return to Thailand in June for 2 weeks. I am looking to try out a new gym as Dragon MT was good but not great. When looking at gyms, I'm looking for two things (i) good solid training (ideally to prepare me for my 3rd amateur fight) and (ii) comfort (nice accomodation, clean gym etc.). Ideally, it would be nice to go do some sight seeing but its a distinct third priority.

With that said, I'm currently thinking of:
  1. Sitsongpeenong Phuket
  2. Sitsongpeenong Bangkok
  3. Khongsitta
  4. Rattachai
I definitely think that Sitsongpeenong Bangkok offers the best group training out of the 5 gyms. This is because they have really good coaches - including Moonlit who has trained a whole list worth of champions. Problem is, their privates are very expensive for Thailand at $65/class - especially when I'm planning to take 1 a day.

If you were me, would you choose to go to a gym where you would get to do 12 privates with trainers who are not as renown (e.g. Khongsitta has trainers who "only" have 50-60 fights and who has never won a title) or a gym like Sitsongpeenong Bangkok where I'll get to work with the best but will only be able to do 5-6 privates?

Thanks!

Disclaimer: yes, I know a guy with 50-60 fights will likely whoop me and will have tons to teach me. That isn't in dispute lol. However, guys like Moonlit have trained multiple lumpinee champions and I was wondering whether a few tips from him would be able to drastically change the way I strike in ways that a normal coach wouldn't be able to no matter how long/much time I spend with them.

Disclaimer 2: yes, I know $65 is like 1/2 the price for a PT in western countries. But I've just started working full time and am kind of poor haha.

Ovbiously.. more decorated coaches option. Quality over quantity

I’m sure Tim / sitsongpeenong can give you a better deal for a package in privates (fight camp) . Tell them you need to prepare for a fight , that makes the whole difference in training for them than just a one on one . Lots of people just take privates to learn basics without a program but seems your looking for the whole training camp . Also factor the cost of daily training ( about 500 baht ) which you need to add to privates

Hey, I'll be going down to train at Sitsongpeenong Phuket for a few weeks (End of June - July) !

Decided that gym this time as it's reputable but not as commercially busy as top team or tiger etc. (for phuket)

Last went to Thailand in Dec for a month and stayed at a more traditional gym called Kiatphontip in Bangkok which I loved. I'd prefer Bangkok as all the better gyms are out there. I would also avoid the more commercial gyms. that's just my 2 cents.

I'm going to Phuket this time as I wouldn't mind relaxing at the beach after training etc. but if location isn't an issue definitely chose a traditional, family orientated feel type gym. Less foreigners there too so you'll get more attention.

Quality over quantity for sure though. especially in thailand.

Hey, I'll be going down to train at Sitsongpeenong Phuket for a few weeks (End of June - July) !

Decided that gym this time as it's reputable but not as commercially busy as top team or tiger etc. (for phuket)

Last went to Thailand in Dec for a month and stayed at a more traditional gym called Kiatphontip in Bangkok which I loved. I'd prefer Bangkok as all the better gyms are out there. I would also avoid the more commercial gyms. that's just my 2 cents.

I'm going to Phuket this time as I wouldn't mind relaxing at the beach after training etc. but if location isn't an issue definitely chose a traditional, family orientated feel type gym. Less foreigners there too so you'll get more attention.

Quality over quantity for sure though. especially in thailand.

Awesome! Have fun - please let me know how you go!

Back