Better Pull Counter: Floyd v Ali?

FightGuyOpenMind

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Floyd says he is "TBE"
Ali said he was "The Greatest"

Let's narrow the discussion down to one move they both had in their arsenal: The Pull Counter

Who did it better?

Muhammad Ali?
Or
Floyd Mayweather?

Floyd. No doubt. It was his signature punch, IMO. He controlled HOFers with it.

For such a defensive minded fighter, that pull counter is an esp dangerous move to pull. Takes a lot of confidence for a guy like Floyd to be as comfortable throwing it as he was. And God it was beautiful. And he did almost always get with it. Except of course against Chino in one of their fights.

So yeah, Floy easy.

Don't see much of a difference.

I like how Floyd has built-in defense by rolling under and pivoting off the center line of attack... but as far as the pull counter itself goes, I have to say that both mastered it equally. They knew the distance, posturing and timing necessary for it.

Agree, completely different league.

Both great fighters. Ali isn't considered very technical at all, in fact he did many things wrong. However, the admiration for him came from his heart, mental fortitude, conditioning, and willingness to fight whoever. Both were great champions.

Floyd's pull counter was a little more forceful. He was very committed, and this is why he would have to duck and roll out to prevent being countered. Floyd's pull counter was cleaner but I give Ali the credit for being a pioneer, and being a HW moving the way he did.

For such a defensive minded fighter, that pull counter is an esp dangerous move to pull. Takes a lot of confidence for a guy like Floyd to be as comfortable throwing it as he was. And God it was beautiful. And he did almost always get with it. Except of course against Chino in one of their fights.

So yeah, Floy easy.

His reflexes were so quick. He's like lighting. He always made sure to get out of the line of fire as quickly as he could, and regain his base, and balance. It was dangerous the way he did it now that you mention it, how committed he was.

Delted comment lol. Thought you were talking about something else.

Depends. Technically it's got to be Floyd.

Don't see much of a difference.

I like how Floyd has built-in defense by rolling under and pivoting off the center line of attack... but as far as the pull counter itself goes, I have to say that both mastered it equally. They knew the distance, posturing and timing necessary for it.
Floyds was more fluid. It was more one motion.

Floyd’s was more fluid as Seano mentioned. He also got more power behind it, Ali’s was more pawing...well, except for the one he supposedly landed on Liston.

Floyd’s was more fluid as Seano mentioned. He also got more power behind it, Ali’s was more pawing...well, except for the one he supposedly landed on Liston.

Liston's life was troubling at times. I hope he didn't get paid for the dive.

Back