Biggest Country Rilvary in UFC/MMA?

USA!USA!

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I know it's not a team sport, but there are still some rivalries between countries. The biggest has to be Brazil vs USA, right? Chael and Colby really come to mind for sparking and continuing that rivalry by talking shit about Brazil to build fights and get the Brazilian fans into it.

Is there a bigger country rivalry in the sport than that? Any other examples?

I know they tried to build up UK vs AUS, and US vs UK before, but it seemed pretty manufactured and there isn't as much of a strong rivalry there.

Ireland Brazil Conor Vs Aldo was biggest. Russia vs Croatia. Fedor vs Crocop.

National rivalry isn't that big in MMA. It's an individual sport and many fights are between people from the same nation.

The only people who make it about nationality, regularly, are the Brazilians. I wouldn't say they have anything particular against Americans over say Russians/Brits, they're just Brazil > everyone else.

National rivalry isn't that big in MMA. It's an individual sport and many fights are between people from the same nation.

The only people who make it about nationality, regularly, are the Brazilians. I wouldn't say they have anything particular against Americans over say Russians/Brits, they're just Brazil > everyone else.

I disagree - Americans make it about nationality as well. Ever hear those USA chants at the arenas?

I feel like the Irish also do to an extent with Conor.

Anderson Silva obliterated Chael twice, there is no rivalry. In fact Silva even invited him for a barbecue in Brazil

Pretty sure the Brazilians aren't the only ones who make it about nationality lol

USA - Japon WW3
giphy.gif

Japan vs USA
Japan vs Brazil
Mostly from the Pride era... oh how we miss the Pride era

Always wonder why UFC doesn't visit Japan more. They use to fill stadiums for Pride

UFC vs Japan

All i know is im glad @jerrythemouse got banned

That's not entirely true. I know that the "vai morrer" chants and stuff , corroborate this vision, but there are many Brazilians, like me, who don't go in that direction.

That's true. Gym rivalries are the thing in MMA IMO and it's too bad there aren't many heated ones active at the moment. None have been better than Chute Boxe vs. BTT.

Back