Biggest heartbreaks in MMA

Which MMA fights took a bit of your soul when a fighter you like lost? Where were you at the time?

1.)
The end of the "Machida Era"

The year was 2009. I was 19 or 20 years old at the time. I was into MMA hardcore for about a year, which also happened to be around the time "The Machida Era" was coined. I was absolutely all in on Machida, and despite the sentiment that Shogun won their first match in the controversial decision that went to Machida, I didn't give a shit and was glad Machida was undefeated still despite that fishy decision.

For this fight, I went to Fox and Hound with my ex-GF and my younger brother who was like 13 or 14 at the time. Because he wasn't at least 18, we couldn't get in. I freaked out on my GF for no reason, and then rushed home and watched this fight on an illegal stream in my room.

The actual contest seemed more fast-paced and aggressive than their previous encounter. I was just getting into the fight, and then...

shogun-cross-counter-machida.gif

When Machida got KO'd, my heart was broken. The Machida Era was dead.

2.)
The end of "prime" Anderson Silva

4 years later, and its 2013. Anderson Silva was widely considered the GOAT, demolishing everyone in his path, or pulling out champion quality come-from-behind victories. His next opponent is Chris Weidman, a relatively unknown fighter who had an undefeated record (I think he was 8-0 or 9-0 at the time). There wasn't that much buzz for this fight, with the community still hammering for the superfight between Anderson and GSP.

The feelings of Sherdog and whatnot was another easy Anderson Silva demolition, but the Vegas odds did not reflect that. Anderson was a -185 or so favorite (whereas in the past he was like -400 to -600) so I felt like something was up.

For this fight I was at a bowling alley that was playing the fights with my current GF and my friend. I cannot remember any other fights on this card and was pretty plastered, but once this fight came on I was completely invested. I remember Anderson having difficulty with Weidman's wrestling, but towards the end of the first round and going into the second it seemed as if there was a momentum shift.

Anderson was having more success evading Weidman's wrestling, and it seemed like Weidman might be mentally broken. In the second round, I truly believe Anderson was in full control. I do remember his clowing getting too out of hand and recall stomping up and down like a jerkoff telling him to stop fucking around.

And before you know it...
silva-ko.gif

Always held a grudge against Weidman for this, although that grudge has worn off after his recent numerous losses.

Both your cases are in my list for favorite moments - (always enjoyed realise like people can be different)

-

Shogun being brutalized by Jones was definitely my biggest heartbreak.

All KOs Vitor suffered broke my heart too - I did watch one of them in loco - against Gastelum - i don't think it was the worst cause at the time I was as resigned as Vitor about his downroad path. Anderson's ko was the worst I guess.

any ross pearson loss
lando
mousasi hall 1
couture lesnar

Ok glad I am not alone here for me it was legit Randy vs Brock, I just really expected Randy to beat him. Then for sure would be Jones VS DC

"I don't know man, I guess if he wins both fights then there is no rivalry"

Then to make things worse, Jones gets busted a few days later.

DC vs Jones 2, I was in Germany during the fight and stayed up until 4 AM and sat through Tyron and Maia, just to see DC get KO'd after outboxing Jones the first two rounds.. Even though it got overturned it's a stain on the legacy of one of the classiest and best to ever do it.
It was a close fight, with most having Jones winning

"I don't know man, I guess if he wins both fights then there is no rivalry"

Then to make things worse, Jones gets busted a few days later.

to be fair, if you are a DC fan wouldn't him getting busted be a god send?

erases the KO loss blemish, gives a third match life, etc

Costa ....... Dude is fucking fine ....... no homo. <{ByeHomer}><{ByeHomer}>

Couture x Lesnar
Fedor x Bigfoot

Bisping getting put to sleep by GSP.

When the fight was announced, gut instinct told me GSP would win handily, but after the months of build up, I'd convinced myself Bisping would be able to point fight him over five rounds, similair to the Anderson fight. So much so, I even put money on it.

Round one did not look good for The Count. GSP came out looking like a proper MW, and one who hadn't missed a day of fighting, much less four years. Nevertheless, when Bisping sliced the hell out of Georges' forehead with vicious elbows, I was convinced more than ever that this would be his night.

Then that brilliant Canadian bastard turned the fight on its head, putting Bisping to sleep, and not for the last time that month. I went to bed a much sadder man, and $20 poorer.

God bless him.

Edgar stealing the belt from Penn and immediately bringing about Penn's sad harsh decline.

Findng out that Tate's fappening pictures were a lie

Well, some of them could be, but the one she’s lying on a bed, it’s definitely her. The prove is the exact same mole under her boob. IT IS HER!

Jens getting Ko'ed by Joe Lauzon on his return to the UFC.

Back