Bill Wallace style kicking in mma? [Personal technique question]

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey so when i first started training, i really liked the sidekick so i just sparred sidekicking at people over and over. eventually i got pretty good and i learned how to do a hook kick and a snapping sort of roundhouse kickoff of the same chamber. but i am 5'8 so i dont have long reach and i started just punching more. how can i utilize these techniques in an mma situation.

[EDIT]once when i was sparring somebody i flinched and flailed a hook kick towards their feet and somehow knocked them to the ground with just a kick...can someone tell me what i did exactly?

Last edited:
Look at Wonderboy Thompson, he does the EXACT trio of techniques that Bill Wallace does.

Ryan Hall made great use of the lead leg hook kick in his fight with Rick Storey.

Since he leads with his right, the hook kick came in on the open side vs Storey, which is super effective.

Lovato Jr. is another grappler turned cage fighter that takes advantage of this principle to patch his stand up game. In his case, since he leads with his left, he uses the lead leg roundhouse/switch kick against left leads frequently to great effect.

If your opponent leads with his right, your right side is super effective; if he leads with his left, your left side is super effective.

If you lead with your left, you play off of his left; if you lead with your right, you play off of his right.

Back