International Birth Tourism: How Wealthy Chinese Use Loophole To Secure American and Canadian Citizenships

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
'Maternity tourism' raids target California operations catering to rich Chinese
By Victoria Kim and Frank Shyong | Mar 03, 2015​

150303-maternity-hotel-mn-1020_7a018989e84c0c70650de3ebeafe2cef.nbcnews-ux-960-480.jpg

Xiaoyan Zhang made it clear that she had one objective for traveling to the U.S. from China to give birth so her child would automatically be an American citizen.

Rest assured, a representative of You Win USA, a company advertising maternity tourism services, told Zhang. For fees starting at $38,000, the firm guides pregnant women through the process, and she would soon be in the U.S. on a tourist visa to await the birth of her child at a luxury Irvine apartment complex.

The company instructed Zhang and her cousin to book tickets to a popular tourist destination, such as Hawaii or Las Vegas, purchase a tour package she had no intention of using and fabricate an employment history to convince immigration officials that she would not overstay her visa, according to a federal affidavit unsealed Tuesday.

1200x675

ICE agents from the Department of Homeland Security look into the window of an apartment in Rowland Heights while executing search warrants during the ongoing investigation of "birth tourism" centers.

You Win USA was one of three operations raided Tuesday by federal agents targeting maternity tourism schemes in which pregnant Chinese women travel to the United States, usually on tourist visas, so that their children will be born U.S. citizens. The raids marked the largest federal investigation of its kind aimed at cracking down against the widespread practice of foreign nationals traveling to the U.S. solely to give birth.

The businesses, known as "maternity hotels" or "birthing centers" present a headache for local government and law enforcement because it is not necessarily illegal for foreign nationals to give birth in the U.S. Many agencies openly advertise services offering assistance in getting newborns a U.S. passport and extolling the benefits that come with American citizenship, including public education and immigration benefits for parents.

Cities have cited such operations for building, fire or zoning violations, but they often swiftly relocate and reopen for business. One affidavit quoted a law review article estimating that about 40,000 of 300,000 children born to foreign citizens in the U.S. each year are the product of birth tourism.

Efforts to outlaw or regulate the practice has so far been unsuccessful. A bill in the 2013 Congress to limit birthright citizenship to babies with at least one American parent was never voted on. A state Assembly proposal that would have made it a misdemeanor to operate hotels outside areas where they are allowed by zoning codes died in a legislative committee. Los Angeles County assembled a task force in 2013 to field related complaints and cited 28 maternity hotels, but never passed an ordinance specifically barring birth tourism.

Such operations, however, could run afoul of existing visa and tax laws.

1200x675

Federal agents walk away with evidence boxes after serving search warrants and questioning several residents at a Rowland Heights apartment complex while investigating "birth tourism" centers.

At a Rowland Heights apartment complex where Star Baby Care operated, about 40 personnel from various law enforcement agencies pounded on doors early Tuesday. Teams of agents aided by interpreters entered about a dozen apartments, conducting interviews and collecting evidence. Some poked flashlights into units where residents wouldn't open the door.

“Baby here,” said one agent, beckoning a colleague to an apartment.

Units that authorities said were used by Star Baby Care were lined with green AstroTurf mats and a row of plants on the outside and furnished inside with Ikea-style furniture.

One woman interviewed by federal agents Tuesday said she didn’t understand why investigators came knocking on her door.

“This is a good company and I've been treated well,” she said in Chinese, asking that her name not be used because she was concerned about legal ramifications.

She said she came from China late last year and went sightseeing throughout San Diego and Los Angeles — skipping Disneyland because of the measles outbreak — until she gave birth to a son a few weeks ago. She said that even though she has no intention of living here, she wanted her son to be able to apply to U.S. colleges because “America has the world's best universities.”

At another apartment raided by federal authorities, a man said he and his wife were not in the country for maternity tourism. The man, who only gave his last name, Chen, said they had green cards and were residents of Rowland Heights who were using Star Baby Care’s services for postpartum care, a traditional practice known as “confinement.”

Operators of the agencies in Tuesday’s raids could not be reached for comment.

1200x675

Federal agents execute search warrants and question several residents at a Rowland Heights apartment complex while investigating "birth tourism" centers.

No arrests were made, though authorities said those involved could face tax evasion and money laundering charges for hiding income from the lucrative business.

Agents wrote in affidavits that the schemes also defrauded the hospitals where the women gave birth. Even though the mothers paid birth tourism operators tens of thousands of dollars in fees, they paid local hospitals nothing or a reduced sum for uninsured, low-income patients, according to the affidavits.

More than 400 women associated with the Irvine location have given birth at one Orange County hospital since 2013, agents wrote in the affidavit. One of the women paid $4,080 out of $28,845 in hospital bills when her bank account showed charges at Wynn Las Vegas and purchases at Rolex and Louis Vuitton stores, the affidavit said.

Last edited:
I dont see whats wrong, these are wealthy Chinese, they want their kids to be US citizenship because most likely they will be shielded that way from any political problems in China.

Dream act babies , why are they bothering them.

Babies are cute.

Last edited by a moderator:
The big problem is the Chinese and Russians buying American homes in crowded cities for "security" with no intention of living here or renting it out.

The latinos still give us a much much bigger problem with illegal immigration, and anchor babies. The Chinese operations are small in comparison to the latino migrants. Is that You Win business a legal business? If so it is paying taxes. The latinos may not have maternity hotels that is all but their sere number of anchor babies and illegal immigrants far out strips the Chinese at the moment.

Yet, Chinese, and Mexicans babies are just darn cute. They have the fattest cheeks. Whenever I see one, I will just pinch them soooooo hard, wiggling them.

One of the dumber rules that America has.

Damn. I can't imagine what our country would look like with open immigration.

The latinos still give us a much much bigger problem with illegal immigration, and anchor babies. The Chinese operations are small in comparison to the latino migrants. Is that You Win business a legal business? If so it is paying taxes. The latinos may not have maternity hotels that is all but their sere number of anchor babies and illegal immigrants far out strips the Chinese at the moment.

Yet, Chinese, and Mexicans babies are just darn cute. They have the fattest cheeks. Whenever I see one, I will just pinch them soooooo hard, wiggling them.

I remember watching a show a couple years back where a Mexican couple had been living throughout the States illegally, having two kids during this time, until they got caught. The US government shipped the parents back to Mexico and the kids, who were American citizens and fully bilingual (the parents weren't at all, mind you) and had never even seen Mexico before, chose to go with their parents rather than face the foster care system.

Situations like that are just crazy to me. The poor kids were the ones who really suffered there. At the same time, the parents were still ultimately at fault and had to face the consequences of their actions. I can't help but feel sorry for those kids, though, and the situation they were faced with.

^^^ the exact reason they shouldn't allow that loophole.

I dont see whats wrong, these are wealthy Chinese, they want their kids to be US citizenship because most likely they will be shielded that way from any political problems in China.

They're filthy rich, they're willing to pay $50,000 to Chinese companies for this illegal service, yet they don't want to pay the hospital fee when they go in labor States-side.

By law, American hospitals have to take everyone in for emergencies, and then when it's time to pay the bill, these wealthy Birth Tourist moms just pack up their babies and leave the $30,000 hospital bill to American tax payers.

The fraud, authorities say, went beyond the visas.

Li didn't file a U.S. tax return and Chen didn't declare hundreds of thousands of dollars in proceeds, the affidavit says. In addition, Chen and his wife, Jie Zhu committed marriage fraud, pretending to be divorced so they could get "green-card" marriages in the U.S., the feds charged.

Is that You Win business a legal business? If so it is paying taxes.

asian-girl-laughing.gif

Last edited:
Serious question. Do people go through these lengths to get their kids born into other countries?

Serious question. Do people go through these lengths to get their kids born into other countries?

If I recall correctly the only developed countries with citizenship by birth are the US and canada.

If I recall correctly the only developed countries with citizenship by birth are the US and canada.

I was born in Germany(Army dad) and was given a choice at age 18 to choose German or US citizenship. Maybe the military has a loophole?

Edit-My mother was American also.

One of the dumber rules that America has.

Yep.

While the people that facilitate this are scummy and deserve whatever they get, the whole problem could be fixed by not having retarded citizenship rules.

Back