Biscuitsbrah’s 4th mma fight

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
Well how is it going guys... Lost an mma fight for the first time last night... It stings realizing you aren’t as good as you thought you were. Oh well. Anyways it’s not the most exciting or technical but I hope you will watch regardless.

Seems like my biggest problem is my TDD against the cage. My opponent felt bigger and stronger than me so it’s crucial to do the right things when they are trying to muscle you against the cage. Just didn’t have the knowledge or technique.
I also didn’t fight my fight and tried to force everything instead of being patient. (I may have got cocky and underestimated my opponent)

I hope you guys can enjoy!

Tough fight man but it's a learning experience. You arguably did enough in the 1st to win the fight imo. He was just relentless with his pressure, it's a hard style to fight. You're a pretty good wrestler too which you showed in the second where you controlled him. When you were standing he was just looking to gauge the distance and clinch, so I guess you tried to be preemptive with your offensive wrestling? Third round you ended well again but man did he have some good slams and takedowns, and he controlled the majority of the round.

I think you did a lot of things right with turning him when your back was against the fence and fighting to stand up when he took you down. Maybe staying in the clinch too long worked against you though when you did manage to turn him because he would not quit. Hard to know if you'd seperated and softened him up a little if that would have been better, because we didn't get to see many striking exchanges.

What did you talk to your coaches about in regards to your and his gameplan afterwards and what are your thoughts overall? (besides obviously working on TDD as you said and not being over-confident).

Keep it up man, even in this loss you look better and better each time, and more experienced. Always a joy to watch you fight.

Well how is it going guys... Lost an mma fight for the first time last night... It stings realizing you aren’t as good as you thought you were. Oh well. Anyways it’s not the most exciting or technical but I hope you will watch regardless.

Seems like my biggest problem is my TDD against the cage. My opponent felt bigger and stronger than me so it’s crucial to do the right things when they are trying to muscle you against the cage. Just didn’t have the knowledge or technique.
I also didn’t fight my fight and tried to force everything instead of being patient. (I may have got cocky and underestimated my opponent)

You got out of a pickle first time around only to get suckered right back into it. The problem I see (correct me if I'm wrong) , is your inability to control range.. Maybe you just aren't comfortable with it, or got tired but it's clear to me when you got back up that you should do everything in your power to not clinch and get back to that hopeless situation.

Anyway, cool with MMA fights on your record.

On a plus your conditioning looked better than his, every time your opponent got into a heavy grappling exchange he was taking deep breaths. I think you would have been better off using your boxing with lateral movement to avoid the take down and stayed on the outside, with the occasional threat of a take down.... against him......he looked like you could have used your conditioning to wear him down......also, sometimes think about winning by out pointing as well as getting a finish

Did you know who you was fighting before hand? Did you have any recordings of his other fights??

Well done by the way.....

Tough fight man but it's a learning experience. You arguably did enough in the 1st to win the fight imo. He was just relentless with his pressure, it's a hard style to fight. You're a pretty good wrestler too which you showed in the second where you controlled him. When you were standing he was just looking to gauge the distance and clinch, so I guess you tried to be preemptive with your offensive wrestling? Third round you ended well again but man did he have some good slams and takedowns, and he controlled the majority of the round.

I think you did a lot of things right with turning him when your back was against the fence and fighting to stand up when he took you down. Maybe staying in the clinch too long worked against you though when you did manage to turn him because he would not quit. Hard to know if you'd seperated and softened him up a little if that would have been better, because we didn't get to see many striking exchanges.

What did you talk to your coaches about in regards to your and his gameplan afterwards and what are your thoughts overall? (besides obviously working on TDD as you said and not being over-confident).

Keep it up man, even in this loss you look better and better each time, and more experienced. Always a joy to watch you fight.
Thanks Sano. It’s always nice to get your advice. My coach didn’t come with me to this fight, was just me and my training partners. But he always stresses me to be aggressive and to exchange and counter. He doesn’t like when I back up and he thinks I have good cardio so he wants me to fight the whole time and push the pace. I gave my opponent no respect and I thought I would be significantly better than him everywhere so the plan was just to go out he ultra aggressive, bang, and run through him.

I just don’t think that’s my style or I’m just not good enough yet to put that kind of pressure against bigger guys. I like to sit back, make my opponent miss and make reads while he burns himself oit. Fighting fire with fire just isn’t my thing

You got out of a pickle first time around only to get suckered right back into it. The problem I see (correct me if I'm wrong) , is your inability to control range.. Maybe you just aren't comfortable with it, or got tired but it's clear to me when you got back up that you should do everything in your power to not clinch and get back to that hopeless situation.

Anyway, cool with MMA fights on your record.
Yup. You are very right. Didn’t have the experience or tools to avoid and break. Holding me against the cage right now is very easy for most of my training partners

On a plus your conditioning looked better than his, every time your opponent got into a heavy grappling exchange he was taking deep breaths. I think you would have been better off using your boxing with lateral movement to avoid the take down and stayed on the outside, with the occasional threat of a take down.... against him......he looked like you could have used your conditioning to wear him down......also, sometimes think about winning by out pointing as well as getting a finish

Did you know who you was fighting before hand? Did you have any recordings of his other fights??

Well done by the way.....
I saw a video of him sparring. He was throwing punches with his head down. I felt the best I’ve ever felt going in to a fight and the most confident too. I really think my mindset fucked me over for this fight. I was brimming with overconfidence

I saw a video of him sparring. He was throwing punches with his head down. I felt the best I’ve ever felt going in to a fight and the most confident too. I really think my mindset fucked me over for this fight. I was brimming with overconfidence

It would have been better if your trainer was there to give you advice between rounds......

Thanks Sano. It’s always nice to get your advice. My coach didn’t come with me to this fight, was just me and my training partners. But he always stresses me to be aggressive and to exchange and counter. He doesn’t like when I back up and he thinks I have good cardio so he wants me to fight the whole time and push the pace. I gave my opponent no respect and I thought I would be significantly better than him everywhere so the plan was just to go out he ultra aggressive, bang, and run through him.

I just don’t think that’s my style or I’m just not good enough yet to put that kind of pressure against bigger guys. I like to sit back, make my opponent miss and make reads while he burns himself oit. Fighting fire with fire just isn’t my thing
I do kinda see where your coach is coming from theoretically. You have a short reach, you have excellent cardio, you are a good wrestler with good takedowns. All tools for being aggressive and closing the distance. At the same time, it does seem like you like to draw things out and play on the outside a little, as you've done before. It's always hard to find a "style". Being aggressive is good, but mindless aggression can turn against you, think Bermudez (which is one of my favourite fighters btw). Your coach probably want something like that, you'll have to figure it out together.

Even with that, in this fight seperating more might have helped, but it's always hindsight. Work on specific drills that you could have used at important moments in the fight. It's a lesson learned, same with the overconfidence thing (while confidence is good). Just keep up the good work mate, it's bittersweet, but you have learned a lot more from this fight in losing, than you would have if you just ran him over. Maybe this was the time to lose so that you can improve and win in the future. It's an opportunity.

Back