Biscuitsbrah Kickboxing bagwork

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
Sup guys. Here are 2 videos of me hitting the bag. I'm open to any creative suggestions or technique/form pointers.

Me critique:
-I'm stiff, especially the right hand
-Hand drop while I'm kicking, a habit I have to consciously think about when hitting pads
-Too much wasted movement for a bag. Trying too hard to look good for the camera.
-Basically everything is rushed

Yup thanks in advance!

Need to move your head a bit more, it's spending a bit too long on the centre line.

I was thinking about buying your head a little table and chair, so he could sit there and have his tea and biscuitsbrah whilst he got countered.........

All jokes a side, a bit more head movement would be nice and try not to be in the same place after you finish your combo with a kick.

You look a lot better on the bag now mate. More comfortable.

I think the most glaring thing is that chin. Tuck that sucker down, also when you're punching. And as you said, you're hittable when kicking as your hands come down. Probably something you have to keep drilling. Funny, when you stood southpaw in the second video it looked like you were in a better position defensively with a higher guard and chin tucked, but it might have been the angle.

I know your style is more dart in and out, which works very well with your wrestling and I don't think you should necessarily change that, but you could try to mix a few pivots, sidesteps, dips, blocks, and rolls in with your combinations on the bag.

Keep up the good work and protect that nogging my man! You have a lot of things going for you!

Last edited:
There's no "pop" in your punches.You're not bringing them back fast enough. You're almost just pushing the bag.

Those are not push kicks/teeps. You're barely landing your feet. Actually PUSH it.

You're not pivoting and using your hip as much when you're throwing those round house. Pivot and use that hip. You're also standing too tall when you kick. You ca get countered easily.

No urgency, hands too low. You need someone standing behind the bag to throw checks at you. After every hit/combo always go back to fighting stance. Imagine someone is going to counter after your combo. After every combo, bring your guard up and be ready to defend.

Try this, go in throw combos > go out defensively (blocking, dodging etc) > go back in, throw more combos > slip some counters in > go back out defensively parrying and blocking. Just because you're hitting the bag, doesn't mean it's not a real fight. Always shadowbox and bag work as if it's a fight.

HUGE improvements compared to when I first saw you. But I'm guessing you want to hear your flaws and how to improve. Keep up the good work.

My favorite blanket trying real men's fighting...

Since you had the balls to upload and ask for critics, i will judge you like a KB pro, and not a MMA wrestler... so i will sound like an ass with lots of negatives, but i think they are important. Sorry.

-You have a long neck...as the others said:chin down.

-Off balance after kicking, specially when stepping back. Don't let the leg go back on it's own...control it...put it back where you want to put it, not just where it lands.

-Hands down while kicking.

-Faster kicks. Too lazy while throwing them.

-When you kick, don't take your leg back just when you make contact... drive some kicks "through" your target.

-Teeps need a lot of work, not good technique, no power.

-You're not rotating on the planted feet while kicking, not enough hip into it, not kicking with the edge of the shin but with the flat part.

-Lots of time (specially after a combo/kick) you walk away from the bag with both your hands protecting the chest not the face. Don't make this a habit on the bag, it's not over after you throw your last strike of the combo, the step back should be a proper technique you drill.

-While punching, too much forward heavy almost off balance, with you head in front of your front knee.

-You don't rotate your feet when punching, you just stay on your toes, inclined forward. Specially the right foot, even when you punch with the left. That makes you loose power and of balanced like mentioned before.

-It seems to me you don't visualize an opponent. It's lacking of killing intent... I don't mean just power, but i don't know how to explain it.

-Are you aware when you shift? is it done willingly or just a consequence of not getting your stance back properly?

-Some punches have a lazy/slow come back.

-A personal opinion: when you do techniques and combos on the bag, don't mixed with fast combos that are not fight realistic: Like those at 00m25s 00m30s first video. Leave the fast/conditioning work for other sessions/rounds.

-You probably do it in other sessions, but just in case: Long heavy bags like those, are great to practice combos that will set up take downs... since you can actually do the first movement of the take down on the bag.

I like your side steps and pivots, i like your speed when you enter the hitting range from farther out... TKD would be a great style for you...

And again, sorry if I sound like a ass with too much negativity... But the road to MT is long and full of terrors...

Need to move your head a bit more, it's spending a bit too long on the centre line.

I was thinking about buying your head a little table and chair, so he could sit there and have his tea and biscuitsbrah whilst he got countered.........

All jokes a side, a bit more head movement would be nice and try not to be in the same place after you finish your combo with a kick.
Yeah head movement is hard. Haven't been running or jumping rope and only been lifting weights so my legs/feet are very heavy. Footwork is something I really need to get back to

You look a lot better on the bag now mate. More comfortable.

I think the most glaring thing is that chin. Tuck that sucker down, also when you're punching. And as you said, you're hittable when kicking as your hands come down. Probably something you have to keep drilling. Funny, when you stood southpaw in the second video it looked like you were in a better position defensively with a higher guard and chin tucked, but it might have been the angle.

I know your style is more dart in and out, which works very well with your wrestling and I don't think you should necessarily change that, but you could try to mix a few pivots, sidesteps, dips, blocks, and rolls in with your combinations on the bag.

Keep up the good work and protect that nogging my man! You have a lot of things going for you!
Thanks Sano. I feel like GSP when kickboxing with my head just straight up there like that. (Only relying on linear in and out movement) Need to focus on lowering my level so I can do those rolls, dips, pivots, etc

There's no "pop" in your punches.You're not bringing them back fast enough. You're almost just pushing the bag.

Those are not push kicks/teeps. You're barely landing your feet. Actually PUSH it.

You're not pivoting and using your hip as much when you're throwing those round house. Pivot and use that hip. You're also standing too tall when you kick. You ca get countered easily.

No urgency, hands too low. You need someone standing behind the bag to throw checks at you. After every hit/combo always go back to fighting stance. Imagine someone is going to counter after your combo. After every combo, bring your guard up and be ready to defend.

Try this, go in throw combos > go out defensively (blocking, dodging etc) > go back in, throw more combos > slip some counters in > go back out defensively parrying and blocking. Just because you're hitting the bag, doesn't mean it's not a real fight. Always shadowbox and bag work as if it's a fight.

HUGE improvements compared to when I first saw you. But I'm guessing you want to hear your flaws and how to improve. Keep up the good work.
Yeah now that I look back I really am taking for granted that the bag doesn't hit back. Just lazy hitting basically. But about the teep thing, I'm just trying to throw it like a quick jab, I really don't think I have the power to push the bag like that plus I was actually trying to avoid it swinging. Idk, I'll try pushing it next time.

My favorite blanket trying real men's fighting...

Since you had the balls to upload and ask for critics, i will judge you like a KB pro, and not a MMA wrestler... so i will sound like an ass with lots of negatives, but i think they are important. Sorry.

-You have a long neck...as the others said:chin down.

-Off balance after kicking, specially when stepping back. Don't let the leg go back on it's own...control it...put it back where you want to put it, not just where it lands.

-Hands down while kicking.

-Faster kicks. Too lazy while throwing them.

-When you kick, don't take your leg back just when you make contact... drive some kicks "through" your target.

-Teeps need a lot of work, not good technique, no power.

-You're not rotating on the planted feet while kicking, not enough hip into it, not kicking with the edge of the shin but with the flat part.

-Lots of time (specially after a combo/kick) you walk away from the bag with both your hands protecting the chest not the face. Don't make this a habit on the bag, it's not over after you throw your last strike of the combo, the step back should be a proper technique you drill.

-While punching, too much forward heavy almost off balance, with you head in front of your front knee.

-You don't rotate your feet when punching, you just stay on your toes, inclined forward. Specially the right foot, even when you punch with the left. That makes you loose power and of balanced like mentioned before.

-It seems to me you don't visualize an opponent. It's lacking of killing intent... I don't mean just power, but i don't know how to explain it.

-Are you aware when you shift? is it done willingly or just a consequence of not getting your stance back properly?

-Some punches have a lazy/slow come back.

-A personal opinion: when you do techniques and combos on the bag, don't mixed with fast combos that are not fight realistic: Like those at 00m25s 00m30s first video. Leave the fast/conditioning work for other sessions/rounds.

-You probably do it in other sessions, but just in case: Long heavy bags like those, are great to practice combos that will set up take downs... since you can actually do the first movement of the take down on the bag.

I like your side steps and pivots, i like your speed when you enter the hitting range from farther out... TKD would be a great style for you...

And again, sorry if I sound like a ass with too much negativity... But the road to MT is long and full of terrors...
Lol. Thanks arize. So much stuff i need to memorize. But the ones I'll focus on are imagining like I'm actually against an opponent on the bag, chin down, rotating kicks faster with hands up, moving away from the bag with a defensive posture/not being lazy.

I'm definitely out of stance a lot of the times which makes my shifting not look on purpose, but it's on purpose. I think I was rushing way too much trying to keep the activity high for the camera, which made everything look extra sloppy cuz it made me tired.

Striking is hard... oh yeah, I used to do the takedown entries on the bag and then drive and push the bag back. Totally forgot about that, thanks

Last edited:
Thanks Sano. I feel like GSP when kickboxing with my head just straight up there like that. (Only relying on linear in and out movement) Need to focus on lowering my level so I can do those rolls, dips, pivots, etc
That's the thing, in MMA it can be very effective IF you have a good enough shot, timing and a good sense of range. You are good at those things and have strong top control which is why it has worked for you so far. In Kickboxing/boxing it's not as effective.

The chin part is no go either way, no reason not to tuck it and protect it, and on the bag you definitely should seek to add to your game. Just keep working on improving your basic defense and positioning.

ssullivan said something very smart the other day about trying to think your pivots, slips, feints, sidesteps and all that as a part of your combinations, not something that happens inbetween. It really opens it up.

If you stand still in front of the the bag rolling out punches, that's how you're gona behave in a fight too.

hands need to be protecting his chin more
too far from his chin
and he's dropping his hands and leaving his chin open

throws a jab but his right hand drops too
and move around

Yeah now that I look back I really am taking for granted that the bag doesn't hit back. Just lazy hitting basically. But about the teep thing, I'm just trying to throw it like a quick jab, I really don't think I have the power to push the bag like that plus I was actually trying to avoid it swinging. Idk, I'll try pushing it next time.

Lol. Thanks arize. So much stuff i need to memorize. But the ones I'll focus on are imagining like I'm actually against an opponent on the bag, chin down, rotating kicks faster with hands up, moving away from the bag with a defensive posture/not being lazy.

I'm definitely out of stance a lot of the times which makes my shifting not look on purpose, but it's on purpose. I think I was rushing way too much trying to keep the activity high for the camera, which made everything look extra sloppy cuz it made me tired.

Striking is hard... oh yeah, I used to do the takedown entries on the bag and then drive and push the bag back. Totally forgot about that, thanks

I don't think push is the right word to describe what you want with that teep. When I teep someone, I'm not trying to push them...I'm trying to stab them with the ball of my foot. More of a spear than a battering ram.

Either way, regardless of your goals with that kick...you have no hip thrust that would be required for pushing or stabbing.

I think Arize mentioned it earlier but your kicks (roundhouse) have no pop behind them and you're landing them with what looks like the inside of your shin/calf. Pivot more on the ball of your foot and chop into the bag more.

Also, lol at my phone autocorrecting my misspelled roundhouse to Roadhouse...gotta stop talking about Ronda. :eek:

Back