Biscuitsbrah's 4th Kickboxing Fight

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
Whats up guys, just wanted to share with you guys my kickboxing match. About a month ago I got a call from my coach asking me if I wanted to fight for an amateur kickboxing title, so of course I said yes. Unfortunately I came up short and ended up losing a close decision. Oh well, I have a basic gist of what I did wrong and I feel its more important to learn from the experience anyways.

- I feel like I had the most significant moments of the fight, but they were very far and few in between. I can see how the judges would score it for my opponent based on activity and aggression. Basically got out worked.
- I need to work on moving my feet a little less and just being more comfortable in the pocket exchanges
- Find the optimal range to throw kicks after my punches and vice versa
- Mix it up and throw more low kicks, I was basically only using my right hand the entire fight
- Just push more and be willing to pressure and engage against a taller fighter, probably the biggest factor

You guys have to manually skip between rounds, sorry about that. Although I did timestamp the beginning for everyone. Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy!

Last edited:
are you the same weightclass? He looks quite a bit larger but could be just body composition.

are you the same weightclass? He looks quite a bit larger but could be just body composition.
Ya both 135. He’s a good bit taller but I’m a little thicker. He used to fight at 145 but we both make 135 relatively easy so I’d say we walk around pretty close in weight

You got run over a bit in the first round, then got him back in the 3rd after he started slowing down.

Couple things I noticed
- almost every time your opponent went southpaw he'd throw the round kick to the body, and he got you with a lot of them
- he spammed that spinning back kick whenever you circled away from him, fortunately he was jamming himself on those kicks

Definitely agree on standing your ground more in the exchanges, I saw several sequences where you got a good position on your opponent where you could've landed good strikes but ended up resetting to the outside or trying to force another angle that wasn't working. If you've got a freebie, take it. It's not until you get to the more experienced fighters that they start giving you freebies to suck you into a counter.

Be first. You started doing this more in the 3rd round when your opponent was tiring. When he went southpaw you kicked him first instead of letting him setup his own kicks, and generally speaking you did a better job of keeping pressure on him and not giving him time to think & set things up.

The clinch is your friend. Frequent tie-ups and clinching will frustrate the hell out of most fighters, especially ones who like to get into a rhythm and throw volume. Instead of always resetting to the outside to stop exchanges, step in and clinch, and you can likely get some free knees or elbows to land.

Longer term stuff. Work on getting reads on your opponents and sparring partners. If someone has habits along with a tell for his strikes, you want to punish him for it. This fight was actually a good example, your opponent always threw the left round kick when he went southpaw so as soon as you see him switch stance you know what's coming at you if you give him time to set it up. Once you get a read and know what's coming, it's a lot easier to defend and/or counter.

From reading your posts, you've definitely learned a lot of valuable things from the experience.
I look forward to seeing the progress in your future fights.

What aerius said plus you gave a lot of freeby kicks by back pedalling. I think the judges scored for him as it was obvious he knows the kick boxing game, but you did not. You have huge balls stepping in though and I think you did very well and even beat him, but he was kick boxing better.

You're a bit still a little timid. Good movement and stance, but too focused on the kill. Your opponent was calm and "played" more. From a judging perspective he's more aggressive and pressing forward, while you were backing up and shutting down. That's not a good look, even if he didn't damage you, that's going to sting on the scorecards.

You do too much single shots, whereas he was striking in volume with classic combinations. 1) single shots are easy to defend 2) more volume is better for masking kill shots and is better in total strikes landed

I will say you need to practice being more explosive, I tend to always have my backfoot on the ball, I;m able to explode in and out alot easier than being flat. Your opponent threw 1,2's with swining downward motion for well... the hell of it. During those times it would have been best to burst in and whip 2,3, kick or something

You land something clean, and immediately you back out, don't do that. That's your chance to continue tagging, but you respected his strikes too much to follow up. Its a shitty feeling, I've been through it, but you'll have to break past it

Were you gassing in the 2nd? You thew a body kick but it looked like it was slow and not powerful so he caught it.

I know you've been working on your boxing and punching more for the better part of last year, but I think you should've been more on KB/MT basics for combination striking. Drilling nothing but combos in and out, because at your exp level, you're not throwing it, it means it hasn't been drilled to the death to become muscle memory.

You put him in the clinch and don't knee? Why?

3rd round was your best imo. I do have a feeling your opponent is more experienced than you in KB or at least from a more solid team in that discipline. Regardless, its a good fight.

Here's a good drill for capitalizing, whatever your padholder holds, get him to throw a full speed leg kick spin around, and evade + jump in immediately. If your padholder is on the same page, get him to hold for 2,3,kick after that maneuver. Not sure how you and your team do padwork, but make it very sparring like, and not a tabata heavy bag session

Cheers

I'm not expert but it looked to me in the start you were pushing your straight punches. You throw some nice ones though as the rounds went on and you loosened up.

Last edited:
Your opponent was really impressive. Which I realize is not what you're looking for here, but it's a roundabout compliment. Dude deserves a title and kudos to you for legit competing.

You got run over a bit in the first round, then got him back in the 3rd after he started slowing down.

Couple things I noticed
- almost every time your opponent went southpaw he'd throw the round kick to the body, and he got you with a lot of them
- he spammed that spinning back kick whenever you circled away from him, fortunately he was jamming himself on those kicks

Definitely agree on standing your ground more in the exchanges, I saw several sequences where you got a good position on your opponent where you could've landed good strikes but ended up resetting to the outside or trying to force another angle that wasn't working. If you've got a freebie, take it. It's not until you get to the more experienced fighters that they start giving you freebies to suck you into a counter.

Be first. You started doing this more in the 3rd round when your opponent was tiring. When he went southpaw you kicked him first instead of letting him setup his own kicks, and generally speaking you did a better job of keeping pressure on him and not giving him time to think & set things up.

The clinch is your friend. Frequent tie-ups and clinching will frustrate the hell out of most fighters, especially ones who like to get into a rhythm and throw volume. Instead of always resetting to the outside to stop exchanges, step in and clinch, and you can likely get some free knees or elbows to land.

Longer term stuff. Work on getting reads on your opponents and sparring partners. If someone has habits along with a tell for his strikes, you want to punish him for it. This fight was actually a good example, your opponent always threw the left round kick when he went southpaw so as soon as you see him switch stance you know what's coming at you if you give him time to set it up. Once you get a read and know what's coming, it's a lot easier to defend and/or counter.

From reading your posts, you've definitely learned a lot of valuable things from the experience.
I look forward to seeing the progress in your future fights.
I think youre right about me needing to be first, even if the first strike or two is just something non commital.

And I hate punching my way into the clinch in kickboxing, I only have 2 minutes to work and I don’t want to spend the majority of it clinching, but I guess what other option do I have when I’m all the way on the inside and instead I try to dart out giving munchies opponent a free strike or kick...

Also it was very hard to read in the moment what stance he was. I don’t really notice my opponents patterns in there I’m too focused on what weapons I can throw when he’s southpaw. Just gotta relax and see a little more next time I fight. I’m always very tense because I don’t like getting hit

Thanks man.

You're a bit still a little timid. Good movement and stance, but too focused on the kill. Your opponent was calm and "played" more. From a judging perspective he's more aggressive and pressing forward, while you were backing up and shutting down. That's not a good look, even if he didn't damage you, that's going to sting on the scorecards.

You do too much single shots, whereas he was striking in volume with classic combinations. 1) single shots are easy to defend 2) more volume is better for masking kill shots and is better in total strikes landed

I will say you need to practice being more explosive, I tend to always have my backfoot on the ball, I;m able to explode in and out alot easier than being flat. Your opponent threw 1,2's with swining downward motion for well... the hell of it. During those times it would have been best to burst in and whip 2,3, kick or something

You land something clean, and immediately you back out, don't do that. That's your chance to continue tagging, but you respected his strikes too much to follow up. Its a shitty feeling, I've been through it, but you'll have to break past it

Were you gassing in the 2nd? You thew a body kick but it looked like it was slow and not powerful so he caught it.

I know you've been working on your boxing and punching more for the better part of last year, but I think you should've been more on KB/MT basics for combination striking. Drilling nothing but combos in and out, because at your exp level, you're not throwing it, it means it hasn't been drilled to the death to become muscle memory.

You put him in the clinch and don't knee? Why?

3rd round was your best imo. I do have a feeling your opponent is more experienced than you in KB or at least from a more solid team in that discipline. Regardless, its a good fight.

Here's a good drill for capitalizing, whatever your padholder holds, get him to throw a full speed leg kick spin around, and evade + jump in immediately. If your padholder is on the same page, get him to hold for 2,3,kick after that maneuver. Not sure how you and your team do padwork, but make it very sparring like, and not a tabata heavy bag session

Cheers
Lol thanks j123. I hate the fact that I land something good and just immediately dart out, scared of the return. Also I was just pacing myself in the 2nd and the body kick was just a poor choice. I don’t throw kicks like MT or kick boxers with a lot of force thrown into every kick. I prefer mma so each kick is a lot softer and more paced.

And you’re right about landing single shots. I’m basically always just looking to burst in with a huge bomb then get out. Need to get more comfortable throwing give away strikes and touching my way in instead. Closing that distance against a taller guy is just hard for me, unless they are tired or do it for me

Your opponent was really impressive. Which I realize is not what you're looking for here, but it's a roundabout compliment. Dude deserves a title and kudos to you for legit competing.
Hey thanks... I guess. Lol. What about him did you find particularly impressive

I’m always very tense because I don’t like getting hit
This is kind of the root of the problem. I was this way before, took me about a year before I embraced bangin' . Guys who are rougher and more street get over this easier and faster than I did.

New approach for you on this, doesn't matter if you get hit or interrupted, follow through, and for real. Not coming in strong of a 1,2. Then potshot the rest of it. You can start out with something simple like just a 1,2. Throw your usual combinations, but as soon as you get even tapped, shoot that 1,2 out ASAP like gunslinger

Lol thanks j123. I hate the fact that I land something good and just immediately dart out, scared of the return. Also I was just pacing myself in the 2nd and the body kick was just a poor choice. I don’t throw kicks like MT or kick boxers with a lot of force thrown into every kick. I prefer mma so each kick is a lot softer and more paced.

And you’re right about landing single shots. I’m basically always just looking to burst in with a huge bomb then get out. Need to get more comfortable throwing give away strikes and touching my way in instead. Closing that distance against a taller guy is just hard for me, unless they are tired or do it for me
The funny thing about striking is that it is all bullshit. Straight up smoke bombs and mirrors. Your opponent diverse his strikes in the first, but they didn't do any damage, he didn't put his hips into alot of them, and they were basically compustrikes, but it affected you, and made you respect his strikes even though they shouldn't. Play the same game. Single shots are easy to see through, and if you happen to move, then stop for a fraction of a second, then strike. That's going to be very readable. Instead of looking to KO everytime, look to win the game for now, and you win by hitting in volume. Throw 3-4 strikes for every 1 that hits you. If the time for KO comes, it'll come.

If someone throws a straight at you, and you counter with leg kick, 3,2,3. That happens twice, you've landed 8 strikes while he's landed 2. That repeats for the round, you are going to be up by alot in the score cards.

You did well. Even when you got hit you didn't panic. You need to be more aggressive. You output was too low. I don't think you opponent was exactly lighting the world on fire.

What aerius said plus you gave a lot of freeby kicks by back pedalling. I think the judges scored for him as it was obvious he knows the kick boxing game, but you did not. You have huge balls stepping in though and I think you did very well and even beat him, but he was kick boxing better.
Yes unfortunately I just learned that’s a big factor in the judging. I feel like I won on damage but he was more aggressive, looked more comfortable, engaged more and just overall pushed a lot harder than me.
Not gonna lie at first I was a little confused at the decision but from a kickboxing perspective I think he deserved the win and I just coasted and played it safe. I left it way too close and I needed to take the fight from him to have a realistic chance to win a decision

Yes unfortunately I just learned that’s a big factor in the judging. I feel like I won on damage but he was more aggressive, looked more comfortable, engaged more and just overall pushed a lot harder than me.
Not gonna lie at first I was a little confused at the decision but from a kickboxing perspective I think he deserved the win and I just coasted and played it safe. I left it way too close and I needed to take the fight from him to have a realistic chance to win a decision
From a KB perspective he won. Aggression, # of strikes thrown, ring control, "good display" of KB/MT technique (yes, that is a criteria sometimes). Its a good experience to face someone like him, and you didn't get injured + you're back to the drawing board right away.

You just need some...

Ring control is HUGE in American judging. Its the most important one imo, because its tied directly to aggression. You could be excellent with your back on the ropes tagging your guy, James Toney-ing shots, and lighting him up, but to the judges he'll win because they see it as your opponent walking you down and throwing = active and in control

Losing on RC means you lose to 2/3 criterias. That's not good.

From a KB perspective he won. Aggression, # of strikes thrown, ring control, "good display" of KB/MT technique (yes, that is a criteria sometimes). Its a good experience to face someone like him, and you didn't get injured + you're back to the drawing board right away.

You just need some...

Ring control is HUGE in American judging. Its the most important one imo, because its tied directly to aggression. You could be excellent with your back on the ropes tagging your guy, James Toney-ing shots, and lighting him up, but to the judges he'll win because they see it as your opponent walking you down and throwing = active and in control

Losing on RC means you lose to 2/3 criterias. That's not good.

This is very true. Kickboxing judges are extremely sensitive to who is the aggressor, even when the other guy is doing fine.

This is very true. Kickboxing judges are extremely sensitive to who is the aggressor, even when the other guy is doing fine.
I think it originated in boxing, lots from their model carried over to other combat sports, MMA included.

It was very eye opening to us the first time we did events in America. My teammate was on the ropes and actually shut the guy down while there. The guy basically walked forward, teammate evaded + countered. Then at the ropes shot out nasty snap like teeps, then the opponent just stood there stalling trying to find a way around it, not going for the kill because he was threatened by it.
But it is what it is. The camps after that ever since, we've all focused on claiming the center as the #1 or 2 priority.

I think it originated in boxing, lots from their model carried over to other combat sports, MMA included.

It was very eye opening to us the first time we did events in America. My teammate was on the ropes and actually shut the guy down while there. The guy basically walked forward, teammate evaded + countered. Then at the ropes shot out nasty snap like teeps, then the opponent just stood there stalling trying to find a way around it, not going for the kill because he was threatened by it.
But it is what it is. The camps after that ever since, we've all focused on claiming the center as the #1 or 2 priority.

I'm not so sure about that.. Conor did not win more than 1 of the first 3 rounds against Mayweather in the eyes of boxing judges, despite being the aggressor. They deemed Mayweathers defence sufficient. But in TKD Kickboxing, guys who score more can lose if they get chased around. I know pissed as fuck TKD kickboxers who wanted to quit.

Hey thanks... I guess. Lol. What about him did you find particularly impressive

Not impressive in the sense that he's a master technician, but I liked that he always returned when he got hit. He out volumed you pretty well. That also let him hit you all over the place and not be terribly predictable. I admittedly only skimmed through the fight though.

Basically, he looked like he wanted to punch someone in the face and was happy to get punched in the face.

Back