BizJournal: UFC pays less than 33% to fighters

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Fighters are well compensated by the promotion. You never hear sherdoggers whine about uncle dana not paying the cameraman enough money. yall a bunch of bleeding hearts

Fighters themselves are to blame partially. Not wanting to support a union, get all together and get this negotiated to be e.g. 40%. But no, they prefer to sit quiet if someone asks them to join the union.

Fighters themselves are to blame partially. Not wanting to support a union, get all together and get this negotiated to be e.g. 40%. But no, they prefer to sit quiet if someone asks them to join the union.
all the big names in that mma union that bjorn tried to start backed out like pussies - guys like gsp, cain etc. i think they had a good shot their to continue to build leverage to try to force a deal. ufc seemed to crush that one rather quickly

all the big names in that mma union that bjorn tried to start backed out like pussies - guys like gsp, cain etc. i think they had a good shot their to continue to build leverage to try to force a deal. ufc seemed to crush that one rather quickly

That was not UFC crushing it, that was the names realizing Bjorn was not in it for the fighters.
Leslie smith cannot even get 30% to sign an info card anonymously .
Fighters as a collective, do not want a union.

I like the fact that those that do it for a few gs do it with two things in mind....1. Because they love it. 2. Because they dream to be elite and get those big paydays. Hungrier guys always leave it in the cage. It enrages me when pro athletes have banner years on contract years...bitch you should be playing that hard all the time.

NO SHIT!
Their own filings have it as 13-17% in 2015-16

https://www.bizjournals.com/losange...-fighters-paid-much-lower-share-than.amp.html

How about 15 minutes of research to find out what UFC themselves filed???

This is exactly what I was talking about in that thread about whether we would want to fight for UFC or Bellator. And everyone was talking about sponsors, when we were talking about revenue split.

If you could

A) make 100k, and know that the UFC made 500k from your fight.

or

B) make 80k, and know that Bellator made 80k from your fight.

I know that's not exact, but if that's the feeling the org gives u, I would think "getting what you're worth" would be an important principle to people who fight for a living.

This is exactly what I was talking about in that thread about whether we would want to fight for UFC or Bellator. And everyone was talking about sponsors, when we were talking about revenue split.

If you could

or

I know that's not exact, but if that's the feeling the org gives u, I would think "getting what you're worth" would be an important principle to people who fight for a living.

Well, one company made over $250m profit in 2017 & grossed $700m (estimate) & one grossed only $20m & lost money in 2017.
Obviously Bellator pays a bigger % ;)

But my point is, this "business reporter" did not put any effort into researching her report.
She gets paid to cover media and should spend 10-15 minutes doing research on the fact that UFC themselves filed how much they paid.
Instead "I think its under 33% ..."

If you could

or

100k.

No question.

If you could

or

If a company doesn't pocket revenue, how do they cover expenses like the cameraman or Bruce Buffer?

If you're worth 80k and they pay you 80k, that business will soon be closing up shop. I'd want to work for a company where I have some job security, and an extra 20k on top isn't hurting anyone.

NO SHIT??!!

I do wonder if that report actually was made by "serious" investigation and journalists. If the fighters as a collective don't make an union uncle dana will keep paying them the same peanuts, but at the same time the fighters don't want that for some reason i don't know.

If a company doesn't pocket revenue, how do they cover expenses like the cameraman or Bruce Buffer?

If you're worth 80k and they pay you 80k, that business will soon be closing up shop. I'd want to work for a company where I have some job security, and an extra 20k on top isn't hurting anyone.
A 25% profit margin is considered healthy for a business, ergo pay fighters 75% of the profits.

Fighters are well compensated by the promotion. You never hear sherdoggers whine about uncle dana not paying the cameraman enough money. yall a bunch of bleeding hearts
Now that you mention it they probably deserve more. They put their eye lives on the live every time they go to work.

That was not UFC crushing it, that was the names realizing Bjorn was not in it for the fighters.
Leslie smith cannot even get 30% to sign an info card anonymously .
Fighters as a collective, do not want a union.
Huh?

A 25% profit margin is considered healthy for a business, ergo pay fighters 75% of the profits.

Exactly. My example represents a 50-50 split. Not sure where you got 100% to the fighters @FoghornLeghorn . I said 80k to fighter, 80k to Bellator.

Do you honestly think the UFC needs 85% to pay Buffer and the camera man?

WME has a massive loan to pay off. Why do you think Conor hasn't fought since the Floyd fight? Fighters made more money under Zuffa because Zuffa didn't have crazy loan payments to make.

The UFC isn't just fighters. They have an entire building full of employees that don't fight at all. They have offices all over the world. They have venue fees. They only keep half of the ppv money. They have to fly probably close to 100 people out to events(between fighters and behind the scenes employees) all over the world, every time they have one. And the list goes on...

A fight promotion has a lot of overhead. They don't sell out every venue, and every ppv doesn't hit a million buys. WME got in over their heads. The Fertittas owned it outright, so they gave out massive backroom bonuses. WME can't do that because they're in serious debt.

By the way, how many of you criticizing the UFC over fighter pay stteam ppv's online for free? Just curious.

Back