BJ Penn vs Eddie Alvarez in 2008-2009 - who would've won?

AimedWithV

Double Yellow Card
@Silver
Reaction score
2008: BJ: Won UFC title, made Joe Daddy cry blood.
KTFOd Sherk.
2008; Eddie: Won Dream GP, lost to Aoki by sub.

2009: BJ: Lost to GreaseSP (to the death!), beat Florian and Sanchez
2009: Eddie: Won first Bellator GP

Who do you think would've won?

At that stage in the game Penn would have boxed Eddie up.

Penn chokes him out like Chandler did in Bellator, but the fight is far less competitive up to the finish.

Eddie has a great resume but his skills aren't even on the same planet as prime BJ's, especially his brawler standup

I'm leaning towards Penn but his lack of heart and cardio may bite him against someone like Alvarez.

Penn would destroy his face with the 1-2 and then either KO him with a knee or choke him.

BJ was a beast in those days. I'd pick him against any lightweight.

Penn would have boxed him up.

I'd pick Prime BJ over anyone at his weight.

This unanimous opinion is quite interesting to me...
BJ was the rightful #1 back then, but Eddie was super high regarded and clear top 5 in every possible ranking.

I'm not the "hindsight 20/20" guy , but the fact that Eddie today is still a top fighter, despite not changing his style THAT much, must show something...

I think BJ would have won but I could see Eddie going straight Philadelphia on the Hawaiian

I have been a fan of both guys forever, but BJ would take this. At that time, BJ was probably p4p no1, and the best guy in all of mma. The only way i see Eddie could beat him was the same strategy as GSP...Let BJ beat you up, and defend as much as possible, just try to survive until middleof rd 2, until he gasses.

Back