BJ Penn vs Eddie Alvarez in 2008-2009 - who would've won?

I would favor Eddie, I think the deciding factors would be Eddie's more well rounded attack, his pace and his cardio. 55/45 in favor of Eddie in a 3 round fight if it were a 5 round fight 60/40 in Eddie's favor IMO.

BJ Penn rarely mixed up his offense it was mostly just boxing and I think that would be a big drawback in this match up.

It's a pretty hard match up to judge though, BJ was mostly fighting grapplers and he matched up really well with that style at LW in his prime. Alvarez was fighting a wider variety of styles in that time frame and was fighting nearly twice as much.

Last edited:
Bj Penn by RNC
He's gonna go to the death, and he's not joking.

That's a pretty big toss up. Neither men were/are great strikers. They both brawl, BJ Penn just has better accuracy. Eddie is the much better wrestler and outside of his first fights, BJ hasn't shown much of anything from his back and has always had shit cardio. BJ could possibly KO eddie, but I think back then, it was more likely that eddie sits on him for 3-5 rounds and bloodies him up, getting dropped in the process but still managing to eek out a decision. Not a clear winner imo but that's the way I would guess it.

I would favor Eddie, I think the deciding factors would be Eddie's more well rounded attack, his pace and his cardio. 55/45 in favor of Eddie in a 3 round fight if it were a 5 round fight 60/40 in Eddie's favor IMO

It amazes me how those who think Penn dominates easily forget this simple fact:
Edgar mixed it up, but Eddie could do just the same

I'm leaning towards Penn but his lack of heart and cardio may bite him against someone like Alvarez.

At that stage in BJ's career his cardio was good.

3 rounds with Sherk
4 rounds with Florian
5 rounds with Diego

All 3 of those were known as cardio freaks, and BJ had no issue with them.

That was also Marinovich Penn. The guy could literally walk on water. ( or at least jump out of a pool filled with water)

It amazes me how those who think Penn dominates easily forget this simple fact:
Edgar mixed it up, but Eddie could do just the same

Yeah, I just can't see this match up being dominated either way. Prime BJ Penn didn't fight anyone like Eddie and Eddie didn't fight anyone like BJ either. I do think Eddie did much better when he was busy fighting than he does when he fights only 2-3 times a year and during that time frame he was fighting like 5 times a year. Now that I think about it again I don't think cardio would be as much of an issue as I originally thought but Eddie was definitly more well rounded than anyone BJ fought between 2008-2009.

3 rounds with Sherk
4 rounds with Florian
5 rounds with Diego

That was also Marinovich Penn. The guy could literally walk on water. ( or at least jump out of a pool filled with water)

And he wasn't even close to gassed at the end of each fight. He was able to fight to his full potential. Should've never gotten rid of the Marinovich bros.

2008: BJ: Won UFC title, made Joe Daddy cry blood.
KTFOd Sherk.
2008; Eddie: Won Dream GP, lost to Aoki by sub.

2009: BJ: Lost to GreaseSP (to the death!), beat Florian and Sanchez
2009: Eddie: Won first Bellator GP

Who do you think would've won?
Penn via submission

3 rounds with Sherk
4 rounds with Florian
5 rounds with Diego

Maybe, but I think Alvarez is significantly better than all of those guys except Sherk. Like I said, I'd favor Penn, but he'd have problems in rounds 4 and 5 with Eddie, if it went that long.

I mean i'd probably lean towards penn because of his jab and td defense at the time. But Eddie is usually always a gamer.

BJ

2igf96h.gif

Penn. He's not getting taken down by Eddie and he's better on the feet.

So Penn by submission after stunning Eddie with strikes.

Kikuno and Kawajiri yes, who else?

In the first Bellator LW Tournament, I seem to remember Eddie getting dropped in at least 2 of those fights.

My memory is hazy, so I'm not 100% on this. Maybe 70% johny hendricks style.

Back