BJJ and Judo coexistence in the same gym

I'd say basketball and soccer are much more popular old dude hobbyist sports, and I know plenty of people in bjj / sub grappling who wrecked their knees in football / basketball / soccer. Also know plenty of guys who don't touch combat sports, but fuck up their ACLs and Achilles' tendons with hobbyist basketball / soccer in the 30 - 65 year old range.

And then there's mountain biking.

Holy shit. Whole nother can of worms.
mountain biking is the perfect storm- guys are too old to heal right, but young enough to feel like they’re still 20. They have the disposable income to buy the best bikes on market which are probably way too fast for a beginner.

Broken collar bones for everyone!

I usually see the judo guys go into BJJ more than BJJ guys go into Judo.

Normally it is quite nice harmony between the two.

One gym I trained at the judo mentality was "If he dies he dies" alla Rocky 4. Lots of BJJ guys did not like the crazy throws. I remember in Judo we practiced break falls like 30 times a day.
This has been my experience, mostly because of age. Judo guys wanted to continue in martial arts but judo was becoming too hard on their bodies, so started doing BJJ.

I love Judo, nearly a decade of it, but Judo fucking hurts. My ukemi is quite good, I protect myself and my partners at all times even to the extent of just taking the fall in randori but Judo fucking hurts.

BJJ is a nice place for old busted Judoka to retire to, and I am honored when a BJJ coach asks me to demo a throw.

Back