BJJ Beginner: Is doing both Gi and No-Gi Classes a bad idea?

Why not? I assume from your name it's because you think OP is going to train, or should train, MMA...
Lol, no. It's because when noobs train only in the gi they learn how to control people's clothes intead of learning how to control people themselves.

Becoming reliant on gi grips is not good fundamental Jiu-Jitsu. The gi grips should be an extra measure of control, not the control itself.

Lol, no. It's because when noobs train only in the gi they learn how to control people's clothes intead of learning how to control people themselves.

Becoming reliant on gi grips is not good fundamental Jiu-Jitsu. The gi grips should be an extra measure of control, not the control itself.

Oh, okay, cool. At my school, newbs need to be in the gi for three months before they can take nogi classes, but after that they are offered equally often and everyone is encouraged to train both. Would you want beginners to start out nogi and then switch?

Oh, okay, cool. At my school, newbs need to be in the gi for three months before they can take nogi classes, but after that they are offered equally often and everyone is encouraged to train both. Would you want beginners to start out nogi and then switch?
I would want beginners to do both. 2 or 3 days a week gi, 2 or 3 days a week no gi.

I only use clothing as a means to off balance, all of my attacks come from underhooks, overhooks, clinching, snap downs, collar ties, etc. I like to eliminate the space, because I feel like someone can punch me in my face or kick me in the groin while grip fighting. I know they won't in grappling, but I only grapple with tactics I think have the most carry over for the streets. My preference is mostly no gi.

Do it all. The more time on the mat the better, so just get out there and practicing maiming and strangling.

But more than that, do what you enjoy. If one thing really lights your fire, then do it. We all want to improve and be the best version of ourselves we can, but at heart, this is a passion. So follow your passion.

I agree with you, I think it's very beneficial to start with no gi, learning how to control the opponent without gi grips and how to distribute your weight correctly is invaluable and these are crucial things in no gi

Should I stick with one or do both or the exercise and focus on one further down the line?

Thanks in advance!!
I see this has been answered a bunch, but I've been having this conversation a lot lately so: I think it's very important to train 50/50. I started at a school that did nogi only one class a week. A few weeks after I got my blue belt I did some traveling, and ended up at Marcelo Garcia's where they trained both equally. I spent couple of months there, and when I got back to my original school I was able to submit most of the brown belts nogi. It's not that I was any better than these guys, but it took them a few weeks to adapt to defending darces and guillotines. Imo.. that shouldn't be happening to brown belts. I feel that the gi does help you learn faster, but I recommend at least getting comfortable with both from the start

I do two days no gi and 3 - 4 days gi in any given week. While I tend to enjoy no gi more, its simply because I just get too hot and annoyed in the gi. That is, literally, the only reason I prefer no gi :)

Imo the most important thing is to create a game that is effective in no gi and gi.

Should I stick with one or do both or the exercise and focus on one further down the line?

Thanks in advance!!
Both. It at least helps develop a game that works in both but in Gi get more "enhanced", meaning you get more options to choke with. :)

Did my first class (Gi) last night.

Everything hurts but I loved it.

Very nice group too. No pointless macho shit.

I can see this being the best incentive to exercise going forward, to get strangled less in class!

Thanks for all your responses guys!!

Back