BJJ immediately after strength training?

BJJ immediately after Strength Training?

• Total voters

KnightTemplar

Green(Goblin)Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
A gym has opened directly across from my BJJ Academy. I was considering doing my strength training first, then going directly to my BJJ class.

Would this be OK, or would it be more efficient to seperate the two?

Thanks in advance.

I don't see why not, if you have had experience with strength training, you will have an idea on how long you need to rest to recover; however, if you already in a cycle of strength training, you should be alright training - providing it isn't too heavy or you will just lose all your energy during bjj rolling. Drilling/flow-rolling is perfect after strength training imo. Just try to have some protein drink/bar to give you some energy and protein to repair.

fyi, I voted no because, personally, I don't think my body could take it. But for a younger, healthy guy I guess it's OK.

A gym has opened directly across from my BJJ Academy. I was considering doing my strength training first, then going directly to my BJJ class.

Would this be OK, or would it be more efficient to seperate the two?

Thanks in advance.
Strength in the morning, rest, then go to BJJ in the evening or vice versa.

I'd recommend against if it can be avoided, you're impairing your recovery from the strength training and upping the chance of getting injured in BJJ.

I am too old for that and would not recommend this for anyone

I'd recommend doing strength training AFTER bjj class

As a general rule, it is better to do technical drilling while fresh, so you encode the technique properly, rather than training yourself to move slowly and sloppily even when fresh by drilling while tired.

I'd recommend doing strength training AFTER bjj class

This is absolutely retarded! It is never efficient if you have no optimal recovery and if you don't have a choice, I'd always recommend strength training BEFORE BJJ class. If you do have a choice, I'd highly recommend doing it on separate days. Depends on how often you train jiu-jitsu, I'd start with 3 sessions a week (1-3-5 or 2-4-6). If you are serious about strength training, I won't go below 3 sessions per week in the gym.

I can’t do it. If you can get a meaningful workout and still perform, more power to you.

I lift after sometimes.

This is absolutely retarded! It is never efficient if you have no optimal recovery and if you don't have a choice, I'd always recommend strength training BEFORE BJJ class. If you do have a choice, I'd highly recommend doing it on separate days. Depends on how often you train jiu-jitsu, I'd start with 3 sessions a week (1-3-5 or 2-4-6). If you are serious about strength training, I won't go below 3 sessions per week in the gym.

do you have any science to back it up?
I'm just speaking through experience. I did before, strength training before rolling and I felt my triceps and wrist being so sore after the roll. The next day when I wake up, I found out I've injured my right wrist, I can't even move it

Try it and see how it feels, i personally have had many injuries in bjj on days where i had a previous lifting session. But if your body can take it, id go for it.

Go for it.

People lie and shit, saying strength doesn't matter in BJJ - it does. You're just going to practice though, not the Nationals. If it's just practice, you being fatigued shouldn't matter.

I don't now what routine you're working, but I'd just recommend cutting down any additional sets you usually do after your core exercise. Like if you're doing 5-3-1, just do your normal lifts and abstain from Big But Boring, Triumvirate, etc. - whatever additional work you usually do for the days you plan on attending class.

do you have any science to back it up?
I'm just speaking through experience. I did before, strength training before rolling and I felt my triceps and wrist being so sore after the roll. The next day when I wake up, I found out I've injured my right wrist, I can't even move it

Hey man, if it works for you, it works for you. We’re all different.

I lifted after BJJ practice for almost 10 years. Never had any problems.

I only lift at home now, because I have a kid and it’s more efficient for me to do it at home.

Stupid idea unless you're on steroids. Quick way to get an injury.

Trust me, I've been dealing with injuries since October specifically because I thought I was a super hero and could lift and train at the same time.

IMO If you're lifting and training consecutively without getting injured, you're probably half assing one of them and wasting your time anyways.

Lift and train on separate days. Your body needs time to recover. Or don't listen and develop shit like chronic tendinitis that will ruin your life.

I would much rather first lift and then do BJJ than vice versa. There is some really good information in this video, I'd give it a listen if I were you:

i do all the time, with maybe 45 minutes to an hour off in between

be honest with how hard youre lifting-im usually following some version of 531 and its not super taxing, but occasionally i know ill be worn out and get my ass kicked in training that night-it is what it is

I would much rather first lift and then do BJJ than vice versa. There is some really good information in this video, I'd give it a listen if I were you:

Thanks, I'll watch that later.

How about Lifting and BJJ on the same day, but split into morning and evening? So weights from 10 -11, then BJJ from 6 - 7 for example?

Back